Taking apart knives - part 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jpm2

Re: Taking apart knives - part 2

Postby jpm2 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:35 am

Mister X wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:03 am
My Spyderco knives are weapons first, tools second and as such I want simplicity and low maintenance. My Gen 1’s Delica’s and Endura’s have only two pins and no liners. If they get dirty inside, they are extremely easy to clean. The way I look at it, screws can eventually work themselves loose. Especially after carrying the knife everyday for years. All I see are negatives with screw construction. I read through most of the threads here and don’t really relate, so I don’t spend much time here. That’s not meant as any type of insult to the other members, it’s just I seem to have a different perspective from most. My Spyderco’s aren’t hard use knives. I would use cheap throw aways for that. Aside from opening the occasional package from amazon or similar activity, my old Delica has rode in my pocket for many, many years and has never needed to be sharpened. I don’t look for opportunities to use it. As a lifelong martial artist, I’ve drilled with that knife so much it’s like an extension of my hand and I just don’t see any practical reason or advantage to switch.
If you want to make your screw constructed knives the equivalent of riveted, red or blue loctite should be able to accomplish this, whereas I can't see the opposite possible.

Mister X

Postby Mister X » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:34 pm

[/quote]
If you want to make your screw constructed knives the equivalent of riveted, red or blue loctite should be able to accomplish this, whereas I can't see the opposite possible.
[/quote]

I’ve seen that recommended. If Spyderco ever makes another run of the Kahr Delica, I’ll probably give them a try. Who knows, maybe I’d find that I’m OK with screw construction.

jpm2

Postby jpm2 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:59 pm

Mister X wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:34 pm
I’ve seen that recommended. If Spyderco ever makes another run of the Kahr Delica, I’ll probably give them a try. Who knows, maybe I’d find that I’m OK with screw construction.
Buy a regular saber grind and make it yourself (or have someone do it) in 10 minutes on a bench grinder. You can even have full or partial serrated if preferred.

bbturbodad

Postby bbturbodad » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:29 pm

jpm2 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:59 pm
Mister X wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:34 pm
Buy a regular saber grind and make it yourself (or have someone do it) in 10 minutes on a bench grinder. You can even have full or partial serrated if preferred.
Sounds like you might be interested in one of these:

https://5x5combatsolutions.com/shop/ols ... delica-r-4

Michael Janich is once again personally customizing Spyderco Delica 4 Lightweights to create “snubby” versions with legally friendly 2.5-inch blades. Janich meticulously regrinds the blade to a clip-point profile, “crowns” the clipped section with a radius, and removes the jimping (textured grooves) on the thumb ramp. He then polishes the spine of the blade to eliminate any abrasive surfaces that could cause damage during high-speed, full-power application and hand “laps” (polishes) the action to ensure smooth, one-handed operation. The blades of these knives are also laser engraved with Janich's signature and the word "custom" to indicate their elite, limited-edition status. Every knife comes in its original Spyderco box, which is personally autographed and comes with a hand-signed certificate of authenticity with Janich’s personal “chop.”
-Turbo

SDCowboy

Postby SDCowboy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:34 am

As I mentioned in the parts shipping thread, the one thing I love almost as much as owning a Spyderco is taking it apart and servicing it. I do so, though, knowing full well that I've voided the warranty on my knife.

To me, taking the knives apart is part of the fun of the hobby.

sal

Postby sal » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:38 am

Hi Cowboy,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

SDCowboy

Postby SDCowboy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:02 pm

Thank you for the welcome, Sal!

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”