Taking apart knives - part 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Taking apart knives - part 2

Post by sal »

Hi Michael,

We have found that "perfect" is often a moving target for different people.

sal
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

His Sal, I'm spoiled with ball bearings now, before I had [ and still have] mostly Spyderco and Benchmade on washers and was ok with very little side play. Working in cnc industry where are 0,005 mm tolerances doesn't help either. ;) That Shaman had some bigger play for my taste, but now is perfect like on bearings. Anyway I wish there were more knives on washers. Also I have some plans to make washers for one or two knives I have with bearings. Just to make them simplier and easier for mainetance.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

Sal, I greatly appreciate your whole "right to repair" attitude. It's one of the many things I love about your company, and am proud to be a "SpyderForLife". Over the past six months I have spent nearly $2k on your knives, half of which I have modified.

My attitude about that is simple: If I break something, is my own **** fault, and it's on me, not you. I'm glad you respect that, and I'm glad you aren't trying to police your knives. Or more appropriately, MY knives. Once I pay for them, they're mine. I refuse to do business with a company that thinks otherwise.

I strongly feel like you should make official tools for knife servicing. I bought a lanyard tube removal tool from sharp dressed knives, so I could ensure a proper removal of the tube from my PM/Para/Manix knives without breaking scales. If you made one, I'd buy it.

Please keep up the great work! Thank you!
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I much prefer to not take knives apart. And let the knife factory or a professional handle that.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Ive noticed its a trend on youtube for disassembly videos. Dont want to point fingers , but a person whos even on here whos name rymes with ick bazz will post a review video always followed up by a disassembly video. He does due dilligence of saying it voids warranty. But, while I take it as him showing the interesting designs, I think many take it as instruction to disassemble.

I love the frn spydercos. I have one that gets hesvy use at work. I spray it out with brake clean and compressed air, and then oil it. Nothing needs disassembling on a spyderco.

He was recently complaining about the use of red loctite on manix and showing how to get around that. Not sure if that was a method of preventing disassembky, or out of necesseity as screws are harder to get and cheaper screws that come loose can be used with loctite.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

notfixingit wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:53 pm
Just wanted to say, please stop using rivets lol, I've had to toss 2 Manix 2 LW's now because the action was so junked up that soaking wouldn't get the stuff out of it.
Not buyin that one bit. Especially not with spyderco warranty.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Spyderco is not using Red Loctite anymore, as far as I know and disassembly of the knife no longer voids the warranty, again, as far as I know.

Having said that, I am not a fan of taking knives apart.

For many, it’s something they want to be able to do easily.

For me the riveted Manix 2 LW was the perfect construction. You could move the clip and adjust the pivot, otherwise it was foolproof.
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

From Spyderco.com "Warranty & Support"

" Spyderco’s knives are assembled to exacting tolerances by trained technicians, so we discourage end users from disassembling or adjusting our knives. If a knife has been disassembled and reassembled correctly—so as to maintain its proper mechanical function—this warranty remains in full effect. However, if a knife has been disassembled and reassembled in such a way that, in Spyderco’s sole determination, the proper mechanical function of the knife has been compromised, it is no longer covered by warranty."
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

I had forgotten a benchmade method. Benchmade says if a knife action is full of grit, mix a bowl of warm water with dish soap, and open and close the knife submerged in that water until the grit works out of the action. It does work well, even for lots of sand. Of course dry and oil after wards.
tomsch1963

Post by tomsch1963 »

I recently disassembled my Kapara, at my own risk and responsibility, to swap the scales that have more grip than the stock CF. Very simple job and have always been very cautious about over-tightening. I cleaned, lubed, and reassembled and the action is amazing! I'm really impressed with the overall Spyderco construction that enables everything to line up perfectly.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tomsch,

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for the kinds words. Sounds like you are meticulous in your disassembly and assembly. Nothing quite like passion appreciating passion.

sal

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Passion is the spice in the spirit that makes excellence possible".
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

tomsch1963 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:13 pm
I recently disassembled my Kapara, at my own risk and responsibility, to swap the scales that have more grip than the stock CF. Very simple job and have always been very cautious about over-tightening. I cleaned, lubed, and reassembled and the action is amazing! I'm really impressed with the overall Spyderco construction that enables everything to line up perfectly.
I did the same with my Kapara. Love it. Very easy to do too! You are correct, it is very well made.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
AirbusFlieger

Post by AirbusFlieger »

Are there torque values listed for the various screws/models?
Thank you,
AF
GT99

Post by GT99 »

Have taken apart many knives, mostly benchmade but just a few weeks ago got my first Spyderco (Smock) and the overall build quality really surprised me, I know Spyderco is a quality brand but I didnt know just how good until I got one in my hand, I had plans to buy another benchmade to add to my collection of them but loved the smock so much a week later bought another spyderco (shaman) and well, again, amazed once the knife was in hand and now, I might still eventually get those benchmade I had planned on eventually but I am on the spyderco wagon now. I had planned on after market scales for the smock and might still do it but I am quite surprised how much I actually like the stock scales, same with the shaman, I might do it but it doesnt really need it, might have to wait until I get one with FRN scales. Only thing Ive changed is the clip on the smock with a lynch clip for deep carry. Ive seen people swap out the bearings for Skiff bearings but I really dont think it will that much of an upgrade, stock ones are just fine IMO
SpiderIsland

Post by SpiderIsland »

WyoJon wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:01 am
I had forgotten a benchmade method. Benchmade says if a knife action is full of grit, mix a bowl of warm water with dish soap, and open and close the knife submerged in that water until the grit works out of the action. It does work well, even for lots of sand. Of course dry and oil after wards.
Victorinox suggests the same method :cheap-sunglasses as well
Dog spelled backwards is…
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

SpiderIsland wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:07 am
WyoJon wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:01 am
Victorinox suggests the same method :cheap-sunglasses as well
I do this a lot living in the desert and frequenting sand dunes with motorcycles
JB in SC

Post by JB in SC »

AirbusFlieger wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:00 pm
Are there torque values listed for the various screws/models?
Thank you,
AF
Check out Wiha recommendations here https://www.wihatools.com/pages/torque- ... ades-guide

You have to exercise some caution using the smaller sizes for titanium screws. William Henry uses some tiny ones. Easy to strip…ask me :neutral

I use Wiha. I’ve also used the iFixit drivers and bits. Wera makes a nice driver and bits.
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Out of curiosity, swap scales or to do maintenance, I open up all my knives. When I get a new knife I always open it up just to see the inners as I like to understand how it's made. Below a picture of the dedicated bit sets I use. The compact Wera set is great. The Wolfcraft is secondary when I need to remove free spinning pivots 😉
20230609_081725.jpg
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
B12buddy

Post by B12buddy »

This probably isn't the right place to ask this, but I haven't found the answer using the search function.

The Spyderco Military was my very first "real" knife and I've used and abused it. Then.... I took it apart for cleaning... Upon reassembly, I pinched one of the washers bad enough that the alignment is shot and the washer needs to be replaced. Since I purchased this as a factory 2nd, I don't expect warranty help.

Where can I find replacement parts since I can't get them direct from Spyderco? I'll have to carry my Military 2 in the mean time I guess (tough life).

Thanks for the help.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear B12buddy:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

I am not 100% sure of the dimensions of the washers for the Gen 1 Military, but KnivesPlus offers dimensionally accurate replacement washers that fit the Para Military 2/Para 3/Yojimbo 2. They are worth a look.

Stay safe,

Mike