Taking apart knives - part 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jpm2

Re: Taking apart knives - part 2

Post by jpm2 »

Mister X wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:03 am
My Spyderco knives are weapons first, tools second and as such I want simplicity and low maintenance. My Gen 1’s Delica’s and Endura’s have only two pins and no liners. If they get dirty inside, they are extremely easy to clean. The way I look at it, screws can eventually work themselves loose. Especially after carrying the knife everyday for years. All I see are negatives with screw construction. I read through most of the threads here and don’t really relate, so I don’t spend much time here. That’s not meant as any type of insult to the other members, it’s just I seem to have a different perspective from most. My Spyderco’s aren’t hard use knives. I would use cheap throw aways for that. Aside from opening the occasional package from amazon or similar activity, my old Delica has rode in my pocket for many, many years and has never needed to be sharpened. I don’t look for opportunities to use it. As a lifelong martial artist, I’ve drilled with that knife so much it’s like an extension of my hand and I just don’t see any practical reason or advantage to switch.
If you want to make your screw constructed knives the equivalent of riveted, red or blue loctite should be able to accomplish this, whereas I can't see the opposite possible.
Mister X

Post by Mister X »

[/quote]
If you want to make your screw constructed knives the equivalent of riveted, red or blue loctite should be able to accomplish this, whereas I can't see the opposite possible.
[/quote]

I’ve seen that recommended. If Spyderco ever makes another run of the Kahr Delica, I’ll probably give them a try. Who knows, maybe I’d find that I’m OK with screw construction.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Mister X wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:34 pm
I’ve seen that recommended. If Spyderco ever makes another run of the Kahr Delica, I’ll probably give them a try. Who knows, maybe I’d find that I’m OK with screw construction.
Buy a regular saber grind and make it yourself (or have someone do it) in 10 minutes on a bench grinder. You can even have full or partial serrated if preferred.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:59 pm
Mister X wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:34 pm
Buy a regular saber grind and make it yourself (or have someone do it) in 10 minutes on a bench grinder. You can even have full or partial serrated if preferred.
Sounds like you might be interested in one of these:

https://5x5combatsolutions.com/shop/ols ... delica-r-4

Michael Janich is once again personally customizing Spyderco Delica 4 Lightweights to create “snubby” versions with legally friendly 2.5-inch blades. Janich meticulously regrinds the blade to a clip-point profile, “crowns” the clipped section with a radius, and removes the jimping (textured grooves) on the thumb ramp. He then polishes the spine of the blade to eliminate any abrasive surfaces that could cause damage during high-speed, full-power application and hand “laps” (polishes) the action to ensure smooth, one-handed operation. The blades of these knives are also laser engraved with Janich's signature and the word "custom" to indicate their elite, limited-edition status. Every knife comes in its original Spyderco box, which is personally autographed and comes with a hand-signed certificate of authenticity with Janich’s personal “chop.”
-Turbo
SDCowboy

Post by SDCowboy »

As I mentioned in the parts shipping thread, the one thing I love almost as much as owning a Spyderco is taking it apart and servicing it. I do so, though, knowing full well that I've voided the warranty on my knife.

To me, taking the knives apart is part of the fun of the hobby.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cowboy,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
SDCowboy

Post by SDCowboy »

Thank you for the welcome, Sal!
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

SDCowboy wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:34 am
As I mentioned in the parts shipping thread, the one thing I love almost as much as owning a Spyderco is taking it apart and servicing it. I do so, though, knowing full well that I've voided the warranty on my knife.

Good attitude. Spyderco is not boring 40 year old no innovation CRK.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

SDCowboy wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:34 am

Merely taking the knife apart and re-assembling it does not void the warranty. It's only voided if you mess it up in the process.

Taken from Spyderco's Warranty information webpage:
If a knife has been disassembled and reassembled correctly—so as to maintain its proper mechanical function—this warranty remains in full effect. However, if a knife has been disassembled and reassembled in such a way that, in Spyderco’s sole determination, the proper mechanical function of the knife has been compromised, it is no longer covered by warranty.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
cELLiBAIt

Post by cELLiBAIt »

although i appreciate that doing so may 'encourage' improper maintenance/customisation/modification, would a sub-forum for 'care' - including 'maintenance' - not be an asset here?

my question/suggestion is motivated primarily in this instance by the need to know which type/size of driver i need to tighten the clip screw on my 'UK Penknife'.
animportant

Post by animportant »

Instead of creating a new forum post, I figure I'd ask here first :

Was having an issue with my Domino, took apart to inspect bearing/washer and placed everything in "secure" space, naturally lose something =/

Can someone please tell me the size of the Pivot Pin for a Domino? The diameter would even work since I could cut it to proper size

Thanks!
animportant

Post by animportant »

animportant wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:47 pm
Instead of creating a new forum post, I figure I'd ask here first :

Was having an issue with my Domino, took apart to inspect bearing/washer and placed everything in "secure" space, naturally lose something =/

Can someone please tell me the size of the Pivot Pin for a Domino? The diameter would even work since I could cut it to proper size

Thanks!
Disregard - girlfriend saw the pin and put in a zip-loc and forgot =p
mrdavidkolds

Post by mrdavidkolds »

I wont buy a knife from Amazon.
Or ebay unless its a vintage.
Rusanv

Post by Rusanv »

Hello everybody. My name is Anatoly. I'm from Kazakhstan. newbie on the forum. I need help. I bought a used Police knife, there are two screws missing (cut off) on the clip, I ask for advice on how best to remove them?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Rusanv,

Welcome to our forum.

They have to be "backed out" carefully without damaging the threads.

sal
Justin0087

Post by Justin0087 »

Hey guys, I went to change my native 5 salts pocket clip around after I bought it and the screws only spin with the metal sleeve they thread into. They don't unscrew. I've already contacted Spyderco for help but they have yet to respond. Is there anything I can try while I wait for a response?

The rest of the knife came apart and went back together fine.

TY in advance.
Last edited by Justin0087 on Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rusanv

Post by Rusanv »

Good afternoon, Sal. Advise how to unscrew the cut screws ?. I think they are on the thread lock, so it is not so easy to unscrew.
Higher

Post by Higher »

I tried to disassemble the knife, but this time it takes more effort.
I didn't twist it any longer. Worried not to hurt. Locking screws? Need to heat up?
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
mrdavidkolds

Post by mrdavidkolds »

No need to take apart.
Put dish soap in pivot.
Rinse with hot water while opening and closing blade.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Rusanv.

Welcome to our forum.

These knives are assembled by professional knife-makers. They are proper as delivered. If you are not a knife-maker, I suggest that you learn as much as you can before attempting to disassemble them.

sal