Taking apart knives - part 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Taking apart knives - part 2

Post by steelcity16 »

jpm2 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:38 pm

Not to nitpick, but my native maxamet is not pinned. Did you mean the manix lw?

Ha, I must have blacked out during my lengthy post...yes...I meant the Manix LW. Lol. I edited my post to correct.

jpm2 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:38 pm

Again... nitpicking.... some of us (... maybe just me) use our top tier knives just as we would any knife... a knife is a knife is a knife, a tool, some are better than others, just like any tool... (unpopular opinion).

I prefer to break mine down for cleaning and repair.

No, you arent the only one. If I am out I will use my knives for whatever task is at hand, regardless of the one in my pocket at that time. I use my sprints and exclusives the same as my basic Salts and others. If I am at home I choose the one that I feel will work best for the task based on the blade length/shape and steel.

Like you I prefer to break them down as well if they are really grimy. Especially on a rust prone steel. I definitely wouldn't want a pinned folder with 52100 or M4. Though if BHQ did a Jade FRCP DLC M4 Manix LW I would probably have to get one and just relegate it to letter opening duty! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Forcite

Post by Forcite »

I don't feel like I really own a knife until I've taken apart a knife, tuned it, and sharpened it. I don't need to it, but it makes me happy.

In terms of returning a knife that has been disassembled, the only time I would consider it acceptable is if a defect was discovered during disassembly. In which case the knife should be returned as defective, not as a simple return. Otherwise my mistakes are my problem.

I ordered a ZDP Dragonfly once from Amazon and they delivered a VG-10 version in the ZDP box. I guess someone decided to pull one over on Amazon... not cool.
loadedquestion

Post by loadedquestion »

Hello Forum,
I took apart my Yojimbo 2 to install custom scales.
The problem is two fold. I cant loosen the pivot. And the clip screws are stripped.
What should I do?
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

loadedquestion wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:27 pm
Hello Forum,
I took apart my Yojimbo 2 to install custom scales.
The problem is two fold. I cant loosen the pivot. And the clip screws are stripped.
What should I do?
Hi, loadedquestion:
Your question about your Yojimbo 2 is likely better in its own thread (like the one you've posted). Please see my reply there.

Thanks much!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I like screws and will never buy a fully pinned model. If a knife is good within the first week, I'll never send it in to spyderco. I will deal with any issues myself. So basically, I have virtually zero intentions of using the warranty, I just want to be able to take apart my knives as I wish. It's strange to me to purchase parts you cannot access on something as simple as a knife.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:04 pm
I like screws and will never buy a fully pinned model. If a knife is good within the first week, I'll never send it in to spyderco. I will deal with any issues myself. So basically, I have virtually zero intentions of using the warranty, I just want to be able to take apart my knives as I wish. It's strange to me to purchase parts you cannot access on something as simple as a knife.
brother this is one of the reasons I almost never carry my Calypso. It's pinned, and I'm afraid of getting the liners to start rusting. If I can do that with my VG10 Police 3, I can do it with the Calypso. Difference is I can't take it down and sand it out.

Probably going to put it on the trade block before too long, which is a shame because it's an incredible design.
:unicorn
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:04 pm
+1
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

I bought this used from the pawnshop yesterday at a huge discount...($65 US)

I have to say it's not a knife I would never have bought new for the $200+ original price, or the $132 current price all because of the pins/rivets!!!! I know S110V is a premium steel but again the inability to take this apart and clean it is just an awful idea on a knife this expensive. Endura's and Delica's etc have no problems getting screws so why is the Manix line intentionally sabotaged?

The action on this is way better then the regular Manix LW, I believe this is due to the bronze washers and pivot screws. But the rivets make the knife feel like it was built half assed
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

cbrstar wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:15 pm

I bought this used from the pawnshop yesterday at a huge discount...($65 US)

I have to say it's not a knife I would never have bought new for the $200+ original price, or the $132 current price all because of the pins/rivets!!!! I know S110V is a premium steel but again the inability to take this apart and clean it is just an awful idea on a knife this expensive. Endura's and Delica's etc have no problems getting screws so why is the Manix line intentionally sabotaged?

The action on this is way better then the regular Manix LW, I believe this is due to the bronze washers and pivot screws. But the rivets make the knife feel like it was built half assed
Surely this has been asked and answered before, but what was the main motivation for using pins in this knife design as opposed to screws?
Modernflame

Post by Modernflame »

I'm late to the party, but I'd like to post my thoughts here. I respect the opinions of those who do not think that folding knives require disassembly, but there is subjectivity here. I have a 15 year old (ish) Endura and the action is full of schmutz. It's awful. Can I still open it and cut things? Yes, but I never use it. I'm not overly picky about dialing in a free swinging action, but this one is very unpleasant and lives in a junk drawer.

More recently, I've bought a couple of PM2s and they are magnificent. While I don't think that folding knives need to be disassembled and tuned obsessively, I do think that an often used pocket knife needs at least an annual tear down and clean up. I'm able to do that with the PM2s,but the screws are soft and and clearly not intended for multiple touches from the torx bit. I'd like to see better screws, perhaps with a larger head for a flat head screw driver. I would also be willing to pay a premium price for a parts kit containing all of the screws, stop pin, washers, etc, even if this merchandise were not available for every model.

Spyderco is awesome.
“May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Modernflame,

Welcome to our forum and thanks for sharing your opinion. We are constantly monitoring the situation and treat each case individually. We do find that many that take apart knives are really not qualified to do so and expect Spyderco to cover their errors and lost parts. Something that is really difficult for us to do. Thanx for your interest and support.

We do have a very competent customer service department and you are always welcome to send you knife in for repairs.

sal
Modernflame

Post by Modernflame »

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Sal. I certainly don't think Spyderco should be required to shoulder the burden of that cost. Your open mindedness is appreciated.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've stopped buying pinned folders that aren't salts. I know I'll eventually rust the liners, and without a way to rectify the issue, it will spread in time.

That's the only reason I don't carry my Calypso sprint more than once or twice a year. Love the design, but scared to rust the insides with frequent carry.
Modernflame

Post by Modernflame »

Interesting. Are rusted steel liners a common problem? It occurred to me that it is possible, so I have a thin coat of 10 wt nano oil behind the nested liners on my PM2s. Seems like it would take a lot of water.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Modernflame wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:32 pm
Interesting. Are rusted steel liners a common problem? It occurred to me that it is possible, so I have a thin coat of 10 wt nano oil behind the nested liners on my PM2s. Seems like it would take a lot of water.
Don't know if its a widespread issue, buts its always been a problem for me.

viewtopic.php?p=1262223#p1262223

viewtopic.php?p=1360015#p1360015

curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

A few thoughts based on recent experiences...

Based on my experience with Spyderco's warranty and repair department, they definitely know what they're doing. Email contact is great!

Also, picked up a factory second Yojimbo recently that had lots of blade play. I knew that going in and was prepared to maybe do some significant work to try and fix it, but upon opening it up, the problem was due to a D-shaped pivot bushing inserted backwards (D-shape facing the wrong liner). Turning it around the right way solved every problem.

Those of us who know what we're doing can put a knife back together right, but that's certainly not every spyderco end user.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

ALL of my folding knives are pinned, except my Chaparral. I expect them to outlast me.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Modernflame

Post by Modernflame »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:26 pm
Don't know if its a widespread issue, buts its always been a problem for me.
That is a little scary. Since my last post, I've added a thick coat of 85 wt nano oil to the underside of those nested liners. Because the screws will not likely tolerate much more in the way of disassembly, I think this will be all I can do in the service of these knives.

I've got my eye on a Spydie Chef. If I can't repeatedly disassemble and maintain my Spydercos, as I would, say, a Chris Reeve knife, then I'd like one that isn't afraid of a good bath.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Done
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

I personally prefer screwed construction for reasons already mentioned, but I have no issue with pinned construction as long as no steel liners are used (for ex Manix LW Maxamet). Cleaning is a bit difficult but it can be done, so far I had no issues with rust in there at all and oil can easily be spread in the joint area and remove any extra with a tin paper towel edge. I remove any kind of gunk in there the same way.