Taking apart knives - part 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ycleveyra

Re: Taking apart knives - part 2

Post by Ycleveyra »

Hi all, can you share your experience with a Spyderco warranty? I have an older Stainless Rescue Knife that fell to the ground, got run over by a car, and the blade snapped off at the handle. I was just wondering if anyone has experience of if they would even replace the knife under warranty? I realize that this is an exceptional circumstance, and that the knife is no longer made. Any insight appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Nathan from Maybeloan
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Ycleveyra wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:54 pm
Hi all, can you share your experience with a Spyderco warranty? I have an older Stainless Rescue Knife that fell to the ground, got run over by a car, and the blade snapped off at the handle. I was just wondering if anyone has experience of if they would even replace the knife under warranty? I realize that this is an exceptional circumstance, and that the knife is no longer made. Any insight appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Hello Nathan, welcome to the forum!

I think your best bet would be to call or email Spyderco directly with your question.

I haven't had any experience with their warranty department but I have heard very good things about the way they handle customers. From Spyderco, I'd expect nothing less. :cool:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
sal

Post by sal »

Hu Ycleveyra,

Welcome to our forum.

Under the circumstances that you mention, I doubt that we would cove the knife under warranty.

sal
Maxemetman

Post by Maxemetman »

sal wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:08 pm
Hu Ycleveyra,

Welcome to our forum.

Under the circumstances that you mention, I doubt that we would cove the knife under warranty.

sal
Hey Sal. I think I have one of your old knives it has your insignia on it. Just in case you were looking for it, I got it.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’m probably in the minority on the forum, but I’ve never taken any of my knives apart, except for moving the clip now and then. I’ve never felt the need for it, and I’m also not someone who tinkers with things out of curiosity. I also wouldn’t want to take a knife apart and find out I couldn’t put it back together as good as it was.

Jim
sal

Post by sal »

Hi James,

Wise words. Very few can put one of our knives back together as good as our factory assemblers. And most are not skilled enough to know it isn't as good. Then they sell it as new in the box, which is not true. It was assembled by an amateur. A real nightmare for our customer service dept.

sal
ramasipsc

Post by ramasipsc »

[dir=rtl[/dir]
Higher

Post by Higher »

I welcome everyone to this forum.

I have been reading the forum for many years. I registered on the forum quite recently. I have few posts here. I read more than I write. Thanks a lot to everyone for the information you write here. It helps us. I have a small Spyderco collection. I collect about 10 years. Knives are more for collection than for use.

I have a little problem. I recently got Pacific salt generation 1.
The blade goes very tight. I washed this knife in the WD-40 and cleared it. Now if I press the lock the blade goes better, but not good enough. As an option, I think I need to disassemble the knife and polished the axial and the lock on the blade.

But the thing is that none of 130 Spyderco has ever taken apart. And this knife is assembled on pins. And I don’t know how to do this. I can drill them. But how then to assemble back?

Sorry for mistakes. I write through translator.

Thank. Have a nice day.
Viacheslav
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Viacheslav,

Thanx for your support and for reaching out. The Pacific is screwed together, not pinned, so disassembly is possible but easy, especially for one with no experience.

I would first use an lubricating oil on the pivot and work it open and close. WD-40 is not a lubricant, it is a water displacement. let me know how that works out?

sal
Higher

Post by Higher »

Hi Sal,
thanks a lot for the feedback
Thank you very much for your support. This is very valuable to us as buyers of your knives.

Perhaps this section of the forum is devoted to new knives that were recently purchased. To provide support for repair or return. I don’t think I will ask for technical support from Spyderco. I'm just thinking about how to take apart and assemble the knife again. Perhaps this has already been discussed. I can not find it on the forum.
I have to clarify a bit. The second generation knives are assembled on screws. My knife is not new. My first generation knife. Assembled on pins.

Sorry for mistakes. I write through translator.

Thank. Have a nice day.
Viacheslav
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi HARRY09,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Trinity300

Post by Trinity300 »

AccountDeletedUserRequest wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:26 pm
Modernflame wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:32 pm
Interesting. Are rusted steel liners a common problem? It occurred to me that it is possible, so I have a thin coat of 10 wt nano oil behind the nested liners on my PM2s. Seems like it would take a lot of water.
Don't know if its a widespread issue, buts its always been a problem for me.

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... 3#p1262223

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... 5#p1360015

You could try spraying the liners with some Shooters Choice Rust Prevent after cleaning them with Eezox oil. I haven’t ever used Eezox on stainless, but it’s supposed to work on any metal and penetrate for corrosion protection (you could oil the blade too if you’re not going to prepare food with it). The Shooters Choice will put a protective dry waxy film on the liners.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002INWIW/r ... 3EbPAWDDSR
marshmallow

Post by marshmallow »

Bought my Shaman, was grinding hard and would not open easily using the same hand. First time opening up a folder. I took it apart and lubed it pretty well with Blue Lube. It now opens pretty smoothly, except I can still hear a "sliding" sound when opening and closing the action. Is that normal?
"stay puft."
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

marshmallow wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:13 am
Bought my Shaman, was grinding hard and would not open easily using the same hand. First time opening up a folder. I took it apart and lubed it pretty well with Blue Lube. It now opens pretty smoothly, except I can still hear a "sliding" sound when opening and closing the action. Is that normal?
It could be the detent ball sliding on the blade. You could press the comp lock in when you open it to see if this stops the noise.
jaegerlc

Post by jaegerlc »

Hope this isn't too off topic but is it possible to remove the screws on a Manix 2 but not disassemble the kinfe, so just pull them out -- put a heat gun on them screw-by-screw to darken them, and then reinstall without messing with the lock and lanyard hole, etc. Or would that not work for the pivot screw? Thanks
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jaegeric,

Welcome to our forum.

I think that if you put a spring clamp in the knife to hold it in place. I don't know what the effect of the torch on the screws could/would be?

sal
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

sal wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:35 pm
Hi Jaegeric,

Welcome to our forum.

I think that if you put a spring clamp in the knife to hold it in place. I don't know what the effect of the torch on the screws could/would be?

sal
I'm guessing heat anodization?
/ David
Mister X

Post by Mister X »

I can’t recall ever having a desire to take any of my knives apart and I would be thrilled with a return to pinned construction. At least on the models I’m interested in. Most of the average people I’ve talked to about such matters feel the same. Enthusiasts usually feel very differently and although I consider myself one, I think my interests in knives is likely different than most here. And I imagine most non-enthusiasts probably don’t generally buy a lot of Spyderco’s, so I guess whatever the majority wants is what drives decisions.
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

Mister X wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:39 pm
I can’t recall ever having a desire to take any of my knives apart and I would be thrilled with a return to pinned construction. At least on the models I’m interested in. Most of the average people I’ve talked to about such matters feel the same. Enthusiasts usually feel very differently and although I consider myself one, I think my interests in knives is likely different than most here. And I imagine most non-enthusiasts probably don’t generally buy a lot of Spyderco’s, so I guess whatever the majority wants is what drives decisions.
Why do you consider pinned construction an advantage in comparison to using screws though? Technically it should make zero difference in your use-case if the knife is well put together, since you're not planning on disassembling it anyway. Besides saving a bit on manufacturing costs and having a slightly different aestethic, the cons of not being to disassemble a knife for maintenance or customization far outweigh the pros in my opinion.

Example: I have a few knives in my rotation that I use at work. One time I was carrying my Hogue Doug Ritter RSK and I've had an unfortunate accident where some glue happened to spill over the pivot without me noticing, which eventually dried up and made the knife unusable. That got fixed by me thouroughly cleaning every component after disassembly. It would definitely have been a very different story if I was carrying a Manix 2 LW that day.

"Just send it in for warranty service" I might hear some folks say. Well, I live in Germany, which means that I can only get certain models by importing them from the US, as was the case with the Hogue. Just the shipping costs of sending it in and then back plus a 99% probability of being hit by taxes at customs make my wallet's eyes water... assuming it wouldn't get lost in the process, of course.

That experience alone has turned me off from pinned construction knives altogether, except for traditional slipjoints (which sadly don't give me much of a choice in that regard).
Mister X

Post by Mister X »

My Spyderco knives are weapons first, tools second and as such I want simplicity and low maintenance. My Gen 1’s Delica’s and Endura’s have only two pins and no liners. If they get dirty inside, they are extremely easy to clean. The way I look at it, screws can eventually work themselves loose. Especially after carrying the knife everyday for years. All I see are negatives with screw construction. I read through most of the threads here and don’t really relate, so I don’t spend much time here. That’s not meant as any type of insult to the other members, it’s just I seem to have a different perspective from most. My Spyderco’s aren’t hard use knives. I would use cheap throw aways for that. Aside from opening the occasional package from amazon or similar activity, my old Delica has rode in my pocket for many, many years and has never needed to be sharpened. I don’t look for opportunities to use it. As a lifelong martial artist, I’ve drilled with that knife so much it’s like an extension of my hand and I just don’t see any practical reason or advantage to switch.