Honest opinion of Gin-1 (G2) steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
S-3 ranch

Re: Honest opinion of Gin-1 (G2) steel?

Post by S-3 ranch »

sal wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:47 pm
FYI,

After we helped Carpenter develop their line of blade steels, the head metallurgist asked me what they could do for me in blade steel. I told Rick that I would like to see an American made version of Hitachi's Gingami 1, tweaked. The resullt was CTS-BD1N.

sal
Thanks sal
This has the knife steel nerds literally jumping down the rabbit hole of BD1n and G-2 and my OP on there website about My edc g-2 delica and why I still use it . “ if it isn’t broke don’t, abandon it chasing the dragons tail “
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

ugaarguy wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:20 pm
sal wrote:
FYI,

After we helped Carpenter develop their line of blade steels, the head metallurgist asked me what they could do for me in blade steel. I told Rick that I would like to see an American made version of Hitachi's Gingami 1, tweaked. The resullt was CTS-BD1N.

sal
IIRC you've posted before that BD1 was supposed to be a Spyderco exclusive steel, but there was a misunderstanding with Carpenter. Or am I thinking of another steel?

Hi Ugaarguy,

The misunderstanding was probably in my head, but all's good. We use the steel (BD1N) and it's made in the US. I did manage to get a US version of VG-10 tweaked, powdered and made in the US, SPY-27. So it all works out.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:28 pm
sal wrote:
FYI,

sal
Thanks sal
This has the knife steel nerds literally jumping down the rabbit hole of BD1n and G-2 and my OP on there website about My edc g-2 delica and why I still use it . “ if it isn’t broke don’t, abandon it chasing the dragons tail “

FYI,

We couldn't use the name Gnigami 1 due to commitments to another company. So we called the steel G-2, just for lack of a name and we provided the chemistry for customers to know what was in it. G-2 stood for "Good Sh*t also. ;)

sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

Very cool thread. Interesting read
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Sweet, found BD1 in the Byrd raven2 and crow 2 definitely placing a order
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
jwthaparc

Post by jwthaparc »

ugaarguy wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:20 pm
sal wrote:
FYI,

sal
IIRC you've posted before that BD1 was supposed to be a Spyderco exclusive steel, but there was a misunderstanding with Carpenter. Or am I thinking of another steel?
Wow, I had no idea. It's amazing how much spyderco has influenced blades steels over time. That, and always pushing the limits. Gotta love that this is the only company pushing k390, and maxamet knives in regular models. My hat's off to you!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jwthaparc,

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for the kind words.

sal
jwthaparc

Post by jwthaparc »

Thanks you! Keep up the good work!