Are there two hand opening locking knives by Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PSquared

Re: Are there two hand opening locking knives by Spyderco?

Post by PSquared »

I'm thinking that if both hands need positive actions to open the knife that could make it more difficult to manipulate to one hand opening.

Start with a Spyderco Embassy (admittedly a Spyderco probably the furthest from Germany legal), take out the spring. One hand is needed to unlock the knife for opening by depressing the button on the handle.

Now add something similar to the the detent system from a Terzoula Slipit (with the half stop). I'm travelling right now so I cannot have a look at mine and how it works and I'm am relying on memory here. This detent system is strong enough to prevent wrist flicking or shaking the blade out. Maybe the blade needs to be smaller / lighter / thinner to make sure it cannot be wrist flicked.

The other hand is then needed to get the blade out, a double dent might be best as thumb holes might have "ghetto wave" mods added to get one hand opening. Blade locks when open and the button is released.

Relook the scale material for more economical solution, refine, resize, modify to suit to make sure that it cannot by opened by inertia, etc and will meet requirements.

I need to think on this a bit more .....
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Actually as much as I would like it (and I really dig that messerforum design) as a German, I am with some others on this one as far as I don't believe that there is really enough of a demand to warrant production.
Germany is a really small market knife wise AFAIK, UK is getting worse by the day, not sure about other European countries.
Also I have settled on the roadie as the next knife to get. ;)

I would however absolutely take larger versions of the roadie and the pingo... Just saying...
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:20 am
Regarding the Danish Law, if you have, say, a Spyderco Pacific Salt on your person, and you have a valid fishing license, would that be considered reasonable or would you have to actually prove you were just actively in the act of fishing or on the way to that?
Its all in the post immediately prior to yours.

I cant describe it any better.

Its clear cut (no pun intended): Straight to the activity and straight home or leave knife in vehicle, if you have to make a stop.

What you are suggesting is hair splitting and wont work, if you suggest carrying a knife and fishing licence around.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

This is the german law

http://knife-blog.com/2016/12/german-knife-laws-2016/

and I believe this Boker model is legal (I've put some pictures in an earlier post)

https://youtu.be/2w420VGA4qw

You don't need a nailnick, you can grab the blade with two fingers, Spyderco can't do something similar? The problem would be the trademark spydiehole? Make a very small one (1-2mm) very close to the pivot...

Or even better, laser etch one on the blade close to the spyder :D
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:38 pm
Sal: How about a Okapi-like ratchet that you have to push a button/lever far back on the handle during opening and closing to operate? I hope you understand what i mean?

if you mean like this, I sure can't flick, drop, shake or pinch this blade open with one hand :confused:

Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Basically yes, a Okapi/Kudu with a refined mechanism would be the closest to a two handed opener i could think of.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Idea/ question:
What if a backlock had a second notch in the blade opposite the regular lock notch? It would lock the blade closed. To open you would have to push the back lock and then open the blade with your other hand. I don’t think you could do both with one hand. And it could be done fairly easily on any backlock in the catalog.
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

I just wanted to chime in from the peanut gallery and say the detailed information you gave relating to your choices in the messerforum thread was very interesting to read, even for someone who has very few knife laws to worry about (just automatics really). I also thought it was interesting that mainly what people want is an existing product like a PM2, Southard, etc, but somehow "nail-nicked" to be compliant. I don't have much imagination, but it's hard to imagine that being un-horrible as a knife (either due to the much thicker handle to cover the blade, or the much thinner blade to only expose a nail nick).

I also thought, surely a backlock with a light handle can't be spydie-dropped. So I went and tried grabbing the blade hole and whipping the handle of my linerless CF Native 5. A couple of tries and yup, opened right up. So, how about the DF2? Surely with that featherweight handle, and short to boot, it won't open up? Yup, a couple tries and it opened right up... Wow, pretty much anything will have this problem then!

I would wonder if something like Kershaw uses as a safety on assisted knives like the Leek, Scallion, etc would work? Some spring-loaded block of the blade tip, so you'd need a 2nd hand to disengage that before opening the knife (and also closing, which would be annoying). But you explained your thoughts on a backlock that locks closed, and that you felt the extra effort would make it a pretty annoying knife to use. This would be more annoying still, except that maybe you could still have compression, CBBL, and other locks if people find the idea of them (with all practical advantages basically removed by the tip block) exciting.

Anyway, it's very interesting reading to get insight into the factors you consider when designing a knife for a particular use or market.
mattman

Post by mattman »

ThePeacent wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:28 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Sal: How about a Okapi-like ratchet that you have to push a button/lever far back on the handle during opening and closing to operate? I hope you understand what i mean?

if you mean like this, I sure can't flick, drop, shake or pinch this blade open with one hand :confused:

Are you referring to the Salt?

You can't Spydie-drop it? I think that would place you in the minority of aficionados...
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

mattman wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:37 pm
ThePeacent wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:

You can't Spydie-drop it? I think that would place you in the minority of aficionados...

I'm referring to the Okapi he was talking about, with a ratcheting system (far left)
mattman

Post by mattman »

ThePeacent wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:44 pm
mattman wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:37 pm
ThePeacent wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:

I'm referring to the Okapi he was talking about, with a ratcheting system (far left)
Gotcha.
I'm not familiar with that knife.
Thanks!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I am not familiar with the CS copy, but the two South african Okapis i have shouldn't be hard to make a knife impossible to open one handed
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I had a thought about this.

If you need to force the user to open the knife with two hands, why not add a lock that needs to be disengaged with one hand and the blade with the second hand?

I picture it something like this:

The same button used on the Autonomy could act as the lock button that you press to dissengage the lock that releases the blade.

You then design the blade to sit flush inside the handle (preferably G10) with a cutout towards the bottom in a circular shape with a Spyderco double dent in the blade that the user would grasp to pull out the blade.

It would then lock into place maybe with a backlock or some other lock with a strong self close.

I hope I explained that well enough. Thoughts?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Still going to throw in the idea of having a small spydie hole, no nail nick, and an "EZ Open" dip in the handle like on the GEC Beer Scout or GEC Wall Street. Throw in a back lock. Of course the rest of the design of the knife would be done by someone better than me. But the EZ open dip I've found to be the best.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
sal

Post by sal »

ave you ever used a "Roadie"?

sal
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Hi Sal! Yes I have used a roadie. I liked it so much that I gifted it in an attempt to get a friend into good cutlery. The divet on the blade does work great for opening. Perhaps better than the easy opening dip. Was just trying to throw out another idea into the void on this one. I'd love to have a spydie that is two hand opening and locking.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:54 pm
https://www.messerforum.net/showthread. ... rket/page3

post #65

I thought this was a good start, but it was shot down on appearance.

sal

I am not at all the target market for a knife like this, so I apologize for sticking my nose into the conversation, but I gotta say I quite like the look of that. It looks like a cross between a larger Roadie (or Pingo) and a smaller Stretch (both of which are pluses in my book) with a back lock to boot. I don't always need one handed opening, but I prefer locking Spydercos to non locking, and no thumb ramp means it'll be less wide in pocket. Even though I don't need to worry restrictions on one handed opening knives, I see a lot in this design to like. Not saying there'd be enough demand to justify production; just saying that I kinda dig it.

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:46 pm
Still going to throw in the idea of having a small spydie hole, no nail nick, and an "EZ Open" dip in the handle like on the GEC Beer Scout or GEC Wall Street. Throw in a back lock. Of course the rest of the design of the knife would be done by someone better than me. But the EZ open dip I've found to be the best.

I love this idea, too, but I am very much anti nail nick (especially on knives with strong springs) and pro EO notches in the scales (you had me at GEC Beer Scout :) ) and I really love the idea of Spyderco doing their version of traditional patterns.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

wrong post
/ David
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Pondering this over the weekend. Using the CBBL manix as a base.
Could the 'ramp' on the tang have an increasing radius, similar to a snail cam, applied that would, in concert with a stronger spring on the BB, increase the pressure required to open the knife? So you would have to pull the BB back to allow the knife to open.
Also moving and reducing in size the Spydie hole to just peeking out above the second finger guard and placing it in a 'divot' as Sal proposed previously. Placing the divot and hole here, with them partially obscured, could reduce leverage and make it harder to place a thumb stud ?
Just some thoughts.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
carrot

Post by carrot »

As someone who lives in NYC I have great interest in a knife like this. Our knife laws on paper are not as draconian as this, but as is common knowledge by now any knife that locks and can be flicked open by centrifugal force (or Spyder Dropped) is treated as illegal by the NYPD.

The idea I've got so far is to do a liner lock with a backspring, and a general overall design like the Roadie, but bigger. The backspring, like on other slipjoints, will provide enough tension and should be strong enough to prevent a centrifugal open with Roadie-style Double Dents. The scales must be light enough (skeletonized titanium with CF overlay? unlined G-10?) so that it cannot be Spyder Dropped.

The lock face for the liner lock must be stepped, so that the backspring runs along one half of the blade that the liner lock does not touch, and the liner lock interfaces with the other half of the blade so that it can mate with the locking surface.