Are there two hand opening locking knives by Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vilePossum

Re: Are there two hand opening locking knives by Spyderco?

Post by vilePossum »

I recall you saying something along these lines sal.
Then again... Messerforum and other German knife communities are notoriously "special" to the point where I have given up on them completely.
Personally I am grateful for the amount and variety of slip joints spyderco carries and makes.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Sal: How about a Okapi-like ratchet that you have to push a button/lever far back on the handle during opening and closing to operate? I hope you understand what i mean?
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
sal

Post by sal »

I'm open to all suggestions that would serve the legal requirement. If it can be inertia opened, it's OHO. If we can figure out a way to OHO the model, we have failed.

Peter (on Messerforum) was great to create the thread, but no conclusions could be reached and I would prefer not to invest in design, tooling and production that will not served the intended market or fail to meet the requirement.

sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I could send you a drawing if you like. I find it somehwat difficult to explain my idea :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:34 pm
I'm open to all suggestions that would serve the legal requirement. If it can be inertia opened, it's OHO. If we can figure out a way to OHO the model, we have failed.

Peter (on Messerforum) was great to create the thread, but no conclusions could be reached and I would prefer not to invest in design, tooling and production that will not served the intended market or fail to meet the requirement.

sal
Hi Sal.

Two hand opening locking knives have been around for awhile.

I know CS did it with their old model Voyager Series, basically the same sort of thing as a lot of slip joints use. They were basically a lock back with a thumb stud with slip joints stop. Put a stop or two in and use a nail nick instead of the hole or thumb stud.
sal

Post by sal »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:39 pm
I could send you a drawing if you like. I find it somehwat difficult to explain my idea :)
I'm open to any ideas.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:46 pm
sal wrote:

sal
Hi Sal.

I know CS did it with their old model Voyager Series, basically the same sort of thing as a lot of slip joints use. They were basically a lock back with a thumb stud with slip joints stop. Put a stop or two in and use a nail nick instead of the hole or thumb stud.
Hi Jim,

You can't grab the blade with your thumb and index finger and snap down the handle to open the knife?

sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:31 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:46 pm
sal wrote:

sal
Hi Sal.

Hi Jim,

You can't grab the blade with your thumb and index finger and snap down the handle to open the knife?

sal

The handles were too light and they were pinned contruction.

I am thinking something like that and make the blade lower in the handle so you can't grab it at all.

Make a small spot for the nail nick so there would be no way. :D
sal

Post by sal »

I agree, but I'm not big on nail nicks. That's why I put a double dent at the tip which gives enough of a leverage arm (the entire length of the blade) to overcome a stronger spring. I'll see if i can find the pic.?

sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:50 pm
I agree, but I'm not big on nail nicks. That's why I put a double dent at the tip which gives enough of a leverage arm (the entire length of the blade) to overcome a stronger spring. I'll see if i can find the pic.?

sal

I am not either, but I suppose it would be necessary?

That or a really strong spring plus the stop along with pinned construction and a light weight handle.
Last edited by Ankerson on Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Post by sal »

https://www.messerforum.net/showthread. ... rket/page3

post #65

I thought this was a good start, but it was shot down on appearance.

sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:54 pm
https://www.messerforum.net/showthread. ... rket/page3

post #65

I thought this was a good start, but it was shot down on appearance.

sal
Ah, looks nice. :)

Maybe just lower the blade profile a little and use a nail nick instead?

So you can't grab the blade.

Could straighten out the spine some to make the blade look better.
sal

Post by sal »

I question the sales of a knife like this that has a nail nick. I don't think I would be interested in purchasing a knife with a strong spring and a nail nick. Would you?

sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:04 pm
I question the sales of a knife like this that has a nail nick. I don't think I would be interested in purchasing a knife with a strong spring and a nail nick. Would you?

sal
There was a time when we didn't have a choice. :D

Today?

I would if I lived in a Country that was that restricted, would be better than an SAK or typical slip joint.

Personally I like one hand openers, I don't however flick my knives.

If I needed something like that I would get a switchblade or carry a fixed blade.

EDIT?

If you dropped the blade down into the handle more, put in a stop you could use a weaker spring.

As long as you can't grab the blade you can get away with it and use a nail nick.
Last edited by Ankerson on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

sal wrote:
It was a pleasure to work with you Sal, unfortunately all efforts have been worthless. Time is fleeting, the thread on MF is almost 3 years ago!
Despite that I follow this thread with great interest. ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Peter1960 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:08 pm
sal wrote:
It was a pleasure to work with you Sal, unfortunately all efforts have been worthless. Time is fleeting, the thread on MF is almost 3 years ago!
Despite that I follow this thread with great interest. ;)
You could make the spine flusher with the handle, straighten out the spine to remove the hump at the point.

Make a small spot in the handle a nail nick and I think you would have it.

You wouldn't need a really strong spring either.

As long as you can't grab the blade and there is a stop that should do it.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Peter, thanx for joining. Maybe you and the other Germans here can help us?

Hey Jim, We invented hole openers to get away from nail nicks because:

1. Many people can't open knives with nail nicks because their nails are too short. (that's why a separate tool was created to keep on your key-chain to open knives with nail nicks).
2. Women have a hard time with nail nicks.
3. Weak springs can be opened with inertia, which is OHO.
4. I don't think we'd have much success with knives that had to be open with nail nicks, which means we're stuck with slow moving inventory after design, tooling and production expenses.

sal
Ixstala

Post by Ixstala »

Here's an idea that I think might satisfy. It allows for a normal leaf shaped or pm2 blade profile and a full sized properly located spydie hole with no requirement for occlusion of the blade while in the closed position.

The notion is to have the bottom portion of the handle fully sheath the blade on at least three sides. The sheathed section can be pulled/slid to allow the blade to escape the handle. Imagine opening a THO delica by pinching the bottom portion of the handle with your left hand and pinching the spydie hole with your right. Then you pull both hands apart and the knife opens.

The action of pulling the lower piece of the handle could also actuate the blade's lock, or they could be seperate mechanisms.

I think this solves the inertia opening issue?

Thoughts?
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Perhaps, instead of designing a new knife, Spyderco could do a take on a traditional knife. For example, Spyderco could do an interpretation on the sodbuster with a backlock. A nail nick could be avoided if an "EZ open" dip was added to the handle, in the same way that Great Eastern Cutlery and other have done. I could post pictures of this. Even if the knife wasn't a Spyderco interpretation of a traditional (but i wish it would), a nail nick could be avoided by having a section of the scales cutout in a spot.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:45 pm
Hi Peter, thanx for joining. Maybe you and the other Germans here can help us?

Hey Jim, We invented hole openers to get away from nail nicks because:

1. Many people can't open knives with nail nicks because their nails are too short. (that's why a separate tool was created to keep on your key-chain to open knives with nail nicks).
2. Women have a hard time with nail nicks.
3. Weak springs can be opened with inertia, which is OHO.
4. I don't think we'd have much success with knives that had to be open with nail nicks, which means we're stuck with slow moving inventory after design, tooling and production expenses.

sal
Hi Sal,

I completely understand.

I was thinking due to the restrictions as you pointed out the knife has to be a two hand open model.

So that would mean it would have to be made so the end user can't open it with one hand no matter what I am guessing?

So add the stop and make the blade to they can't grab onto it would make it pretty much impossible to open with one hand or inertia as long as the spring is strong enough to force the positive stop. Making the blade thin and light will also help. If the opening hole is there then they can grab the blade and flick it open unless the spring is really strong and it would have to be I would think unless the handle is very light weight.

And they would have to be tinker proof pinned construction including the pivot I believe.

Just my ideas. :)

Would be a tough project I think unless Spyderco just made some locking slip joints, nail nicks and all.