Choils feel unnecessary

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TriggerThumb

Re: Choils feel unnecessary

Post by TriggerThumb »

I find it interesting that everyone cites precision" as the reason why choils offer utility. To me it's the opposite. In push cutting it offers a closer grip to the axis, thus more security of the knife pivoting during hard use. And during slashing cuts, gives more distance the the butt of the knife affording some extra insurance from slippage.
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm a big fan of the Dragonflys, Native 5's, and Para 3's. I like the choil for blade control, I'm a fan of choking way up on the knife and having my thumb on the spine of the blade for utility work.
...Now for self defense I'm a fan of the Yo2 and Delica, no 50/50 choil on either.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Nate

Post by Nate »

I like index finger choils a lot, especially on smaller models where that's the "standard" grip for me.

I don't have to have one though. It's only been a couple weeks, but the Baby Horn has hardly left my pocket since I got it.
:spyder:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I definitely prefer knives without a choil. However, I can live with them. I find that they bind in things when cutting them and are generally in the way. I prefer having a guard closer to the blade, but still having a design that will cause the flat bottom of the tang to hit my fingers if the lock should fail. Tall order.
I do like choils on smaller knives like the Dragonfly and Chaparral, but only because it allows a fuller grip.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I think some designs require a choil in order to be as good as they are, like the Dragonfly and the Efficient. Not so sure about others like the Native or the PM2. In most instances I suspect it is really a matter of personal preference..
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like them when they seem to be designed as the primary grip option, not so much as a second grip option. I couldn't see using a Dragonfly or Kiwi 4 behind the choil and they feel great when using them, but I do think the Manix 2 would be a better knife with a grip contour more like the D'Allara 2 or Lil Temp, especially if it results in just a bit more edge in the process. I've really come to value having as much edge in a given handle size as possible.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I love choils since they generally let me turn a 3 finger knife into a 4 finger grip.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Evil D wrote:I'd argue that the Delica grip could be closer to the edge, but tastes will vary. A design like the Lil Temperance or Polestar is genius. It puts the grip very close to the edge without the need for a choil and without sacrificing edge to one. I wish more models were designed this way.
Yessir, that's how I felt about the Delica after carrying one for quite awhile, then the Mantra came out and I gifted the Delica away; more cutting edge the better on that particular model :spyder: