UKPK GIN1 sharpening

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Basetta70

UKPK GIN1 sharpening

Post by Basetta70 »

Hello,
I got years ago an UKPK with GIN1 steel, I liked very much the knife and the blade shape (it's the old hollow grind leaf).
Unfortunately it arrives with a completely blunt edge, it was the first brand new knife that comes to me unsharpened.
I've used it anyway for many tasks where a razor sharp was not needed.
Now it's time to sharpening it, I've read this steel is nowadays belong to the lower end steel but for some reasons it's giving me hard time sharpening it.
At the end I'm using a Crystolon stone by Norton (SiC, so it should have reason of any steel on the market, ceremics included) but I cannot put a decent edge on it.
I'll try the sharpie trick this night and we will see.
Have you has the same impression on this steel? It seems to be extremely wear proof.
Any suggestion about the material to use in order to have this edge shining?
Thanks you
Sharp Guy

Re: UKPK GIN1 sharpening

Post by Sharp Guy »

Gin 1 shouldn't be hard to put a good edge on. Definitely try coloring the edge with a sharpie to make sure you're hitting the apex.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It is not hard to sharpen. I use the back of my leather belt to occasionally strop the edge to keep it sharp. I would say your plan to color the edge with a magic marker/sharpie is a good one. That way you can tell if you are hitting the actual edge when sharpening.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I always did like GIN-1 for Spyderedges but it didn't take me long to replace an EDC folder ( Renegade) I had when seeing how much better a couple of blade steels were on plain edges especially.

It is most interesting though how long Spyderco used GIN-1 on many of their older models>> I still wouldn't turn it down on a Spyderedged blade I might happen to like. But even ATS-55 and VG-10 were vastly better than GIN-1 on plain edges IMO.

For sharpening GIN-1 you should be able to get a good working edge with a 204 Sharpmaker.