Taking apart knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AlexRus

Re: Taking apart knives

Post by AlexRus »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 5:09 pm
If I take my knives apart and screw up I am responsible for fixing it, sourcing my own parts or sending it in for repair. I can’t see why Spyderco should be responsible for helping me fix my issues for free. And I don’t want to pay a sur-charge so that others can get small parts.
I'm ready to pay for the replacement parts if I need them, but they ain't available for purchase. Even for the most popular models made in the USA like Paramilitary 2 or Military. That's what I'm talking about.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Could you not source the screws, etc. yourself?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:57 am
Could you not source the screws, etc. yourself?
Should I? Should I source the screws by myself?
Why doesn't the manufacturer source the screws, washers, standoffs etc. for the current models at least? I'm ready to pay for the stuff. Is it difficult?
Other manufactures do.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yes you should.
See previous discussion.
Yes it is.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 2:47 pm
Yes you should.
See previous discussion.
Yes it is.
I don't think so. No customer-friendly company would ever say you should source the parts yourself.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

You can always send it in.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 3:34 pm
Yup. Seven thousand miles and two customs. Not a safe journey for a quite expensive knife, eh?)
Knives have a way of going "missing" in the mail. Risk a two-hundred-dollar knife for a screw and a couple of washers? Nice decision :)
I'd prefer paying a decent price to Spyderco for the small parts and shipping...
Last edited by AlexRus on Mon May 07, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

AlexRus wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 3:42 pm
Sjucaveman wrote:
Yup. Seven thousand miles and two customs. Not a safe journey for a quite expensive knife, eh?)
Knives have a way of going "missing" in the mail. Risk a two-hundred-dollar knife for a screws and a couple of washers? Nice decision :)
You don't seem open to any other solution so I thought I'd point out the one sure to get a knife to working order. That way spyderco sources the parts and even installs them, and if it's not a warranty repair they'll have you pay which you're willing to do.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 3:53 pm
AlexRus wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 3:42 pm
Sjucaveman wrote:
Knives have a way of going "missing" in the mail. Risk a two-hundred-dollar knife for a screws and a couple of washers? Nice decision :)
You don't seem open to any other solution so I thought I'd point out the one sure to get a knife to working order. That way spyderco sources the parts and even installs them, and if it's not a warranty repair they'll have you pay which you're willing to do.
I'm open to any solution that not involves a risk of sending a quite expensive knife seven thousand miles away. Don't you think it's you who don't open to any solution other than that, eh? I just don't want to lose my knife in the mail. It's SEVEN THOUSAND MILES AND TWO CUSTOMS between me and Golden, CO.

I pointed out that other knife companies like Benchmade, Zero Tolerance, Kershaw, CRKT etc. are shipping the requested parts free of charge. I'm not asking for doing that from Spyderco, I'm ready to PAY for the parts, shipping and handling. And I'm not talking about some discontinued models - I'm talking about current USA-made models like Paramilitary 2 and Military.
Is it a problem? To SELL some replacement parts for the CURRENT models? Any logical reason?
I'm all ears...
mattman

Post by mattman »

Spyderco has generally been helpful to overseas customers that need minor hardware replacements over the years (from my observations, only, as I reside in the US).

They appear to draw the line when the issue is deeper, that may affect the safety of the knife, then they request it be sent in.

Has your experience been different?
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

mattman wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 4:22 pm
Spyderco has generally been helpful to overseas customers that need minor hardware replacements over the years (from my observations, only, as I reside in the US).

They appear to draw the line when the issue is deeper, that may affect the safety of the knife, then they request it be sent in.

Has your experience been different?
I needed some screws and a couple of washers for Spyderco Military and Spyderco Paramilitary 2. It's current USA-made models. Spyderco customer service did help me with screws, but refused sending the washers. Because they don't ship any internal parts. I offered to pay double price for the washers and pay for the shipping and handling - they still refused. That's my experience. I won't risk sending the knives to the USA over the ocean and two customs.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

When I needed new screws for my PM2 I sourced them myself. I don't understand why others can't (refuse) to do the same thing.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 4:37 pm
When I needed new screws for my PM2 I sourced them myself. I don't understand why others can't (refuse) to do the same thing.
It's simple. You live in the USA and I live over the ocean. We have a metric system for the thread on the screws here, so the screws just won't fit in. I can find the same-size screws, but the step of the thread would be different. Metric system. Understand?
mattman

Post by mattman »

Didn't know there was a ban on the international shipping of SAE threaded fasteners... Must be a military thing.

:rolleyes:
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

mattman wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 4:48 pm
Didn't know there was a ban on the international shipping of SAE threaded fasteners... Must be a military thing.

:rolleyes:
Sarcasm, eh? Cool :)

I admit you didn't know that) By the way :

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio
;)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

AlexRus wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 4:41 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
It's simple. You live in the USA and I live over the ocean. We have a metric system for the thread on the screws here, so the screws just won't fit in. I can find the same-size screws, but the step of the thread would be different. Metric system. Understand?
My bad I forgot that the US doesn't export SAE fasteners. Understand?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 4:58 pm
AlexRus wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
You evade the subject. The question was what's the problem for Spyderco to help me out? I'm a customer and I bought a Spyderco knife. I'm ready to pay for the replacement screws and washers. Is it a PROBLEM to help me out?
Why don't Benchmade or Zero Tolerance advise me to look for the parts myself? They just say - sure we are happy to help.
Are they more customer-friendly?
🤔
Last edited by AlexRus on Mon May 07, 2018 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Or not have any kind of CQI program?

(Let's keep making the exact same Omega springs!)
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

mattman wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 5:11 pm
Or not have any kind of CQI program?

(Let's keep making the exact same Omega springs!)
Once again. I'm talking about the current models. Read my lips: CURRENT models

Spyderco Paramilitary 2 and new model Spyderco Military (with stepped stop-pin)
There's no any quality improvement in Spyderco Paramilitary 2 or in new model Spyderco Military ( with stepped stop-pin) yet. The screws and washers didn't change.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

AlexRus wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 5:05 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 4:58 pm
AlexRus wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
You evade the subject. The question was what's the problem for Spyderco to help me out? I'm a customer and I bought a Spyderco knife. I'm ready to pay for the replacement screws and washers. Is it a PROBLEM to help me out?
Why don't Benchmade or Zero Tolerance advise me to look for the parts myself? They just say - sure we are happy to help.
Are they more customer-friendly? Or not so arrogant?
🤔
Comrade, we’re flogged this one to death. :)

Do you honestly believe any member here can answer your questions? :confused:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin