Spydiechef Chip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
atv223

Spydiechef Chip

Post by atv223 »

I discovered a pretty big chip in the blade of my Spydiechef, about 4mm from the tip. No idea how I got it there. The last thing I was cutting was cheese on a polyethylene cutting board and I don't really use this knife for much else other then food prep. Now that I'm thinking about it, I was also cutting some pork chops before that. Could nicking the bone chip the blade that easily? Is that common for LC200N?

The real question, now that I have a chip, am I better off just leaving and sharpening it like normal or grinding it out?
krikun98

Re: Spydiechef Chip

Post by krikun98 »

atv223 wrote:The real question, now that I have a chip, am I better off just leaving and sharpening it like normal or grinding it out?
Depends on the size. If it's small enough, it won't hamper your EDC tasks and will just go away after enough sharpening sessions. Pictures would definitely help.
The Chef's fairly thinly ground, though, so sharpening it out won't really be a bother. But the downside to that is, as you discovered, having to be careful with the knife. I don't have any experience with LC200N, but bones are generally to be avoided.
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

See if it lines up with the standoff. My spydiechef blade hit the standoff when I dropped it. I guess it's called blade lash, where there's an certain elasticity in all the parts that allows this to happen. My guess is this is what has happened to your as well. I've seen a couple of mentions of it.
atv223

Post by atv223 »

soulspy wrote:See if it lines up with the standoff. My spydiechef blade hit the standoff when I dropped it. I guess it's called blade lash, where there's an certain elasticity in all the parts that allows this to happen. My guess is this is what has happened to your as well. I've seen a couple of mentions of it.
That's interesting. I did drop the knife while it was closed onto a ceramic floor. No visible damage to the scales clip or anything. I thought that might have caused the chip, but couldn't see how. if it were the tip I could see it. I'll check when I get home and post a photo.
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

atv223 wrote:
soulspy wrote:See if it lines up with the standoff. My spydiechef blade hit the standoff when I dropped it. I guess it's called blade lash, where there's an certain elasticity in all the parts that allows this to happen. My guess is this is what has happened to your as well. I've seen a couple of mentions of it.
That's interesting. I did drop the knife while it was closed onto a ceramic floor. No visible damage to the scales clip or anything. I thought that might have caused the chip, but couldn't see how. if it were the tip I could see it. I'll check when I get home and post a photo.
You'll see a little mark on the standoff too. It sounds like exactly what happened to mine, dropped onto a concrete floor whilst closed.
atv223

Post by atv223 »

soulspy wrote:
atv223 wrote:
You'll see a little mark on the standoff too. It sounds like exactly what happened to mine, dropped onto a concrete floor whilst closed.
Yep, exactly as you described! I would have never thought that. That's kind of disappointing that a drop like that would cause this. I was sitting on my couch with the knife on my lap. I forgot it was there and when I got up it fell, not more than couch seat height.

Here is a image of the chip after I resharpened it on the SM at 40 degrees, diamond through UF. At this point, I don't think I'm going to bother grinding it out and re-profiling, The knife is only a couple months old without a lot of use.

jimmd

Post by jimmd »

atv223 wrote: Here is a image of the chip after I resharpened it on the SM at 40 degrees, diamond through UF.
That looks just like a small chip I noticed in my SpydieChef a few days after I got it and before I used it on anything harder than fruit. I wonder if I banged it around a bit and caused a chip in the manner suggested to explain yours. I might have dropped it once onto a wood floor. With a quick resharpening on the Sharpmaker, the chip was gone, and the blade was sharper than ever.
Jim
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

Resurrecting an old thread to report my SpydieChef seems to be hitting the standoff in the same place. For me it happens during one-handed closing when the detent pulls the blade in. I can hear the metal on metal 'ping'. When the blade is in its resting position it is not in contact with the standoff.

I assume after enough sharpenings it will be a non-issue. Does that seem reasonable, or is this likely to be an ongoing issue?
ihped1

Post by ihped1 »

I was wondering how I got a small micro chip there when I first got my Spydiechef and now it seems like this is the case.
neuronic

Post by neuronic »

...if the blade hits the standoff when closing the knife one-handed, you gotta do a **** lotta sharpening before you take away enough material to actually prevent that, I guess.

Somehow, since I ordered one, I seem to notice more and more people having issues with the Spydiechef (lockstick, blade's edge touchable when closed, now this...). Funny thing, perception.
PStone

Post by PStone »

SpyderSeth wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:45 pm
... I can hear the metal on metal 'ping'. When the blade is in its resting position it is not in contact with the standoff...
Could the ping you hear he the tang hitting the stop pin? If it isn’t contacting the standoff in the resting position, the stop pin should prevent any further travel. I think it is more likely happening during opening, with the blade traveling laterally, and does not need to be dropped. At least in my experience.

When using my thumb to open the knife, I sometimes have my fingers pressing on the lockbar. That causes me to push harder with my thumb. Which causes the blade to shift enough to contact the lip of the standoff. When done hard enough, it would definitely damage the edge. I’ve only experienced it on my very first pre-C.Q.I. chef. The other two C.Q.I. ones I’ve had did not have this issue. I think I made a post about it then too in another thread.

Just check it out. Close your knife and move the blade side to side. You should see where it’s touching.
PineChaos

Post by PineChaos »

I've seen this issue on Taichung knives directly from the factory.