Spyderco Captain help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
corenojc

Spyderco Captain help

Post by corenojc »

Hey all, I have a Spyderco Captain that is missing the lanyard tube. I know it is a discontinued model but is there an possibility someone knows where I could purchase one or could provide any size info that could help me track one down that would fit? Thank you for any assistance.
Evil D

Re: Spyderco Captain help

Post by Evil D »

Boy that's a good question. I suppose if you get a good measurement there may be someone who makes them that will fit. Otherwise there's always a chance that something Spyderco currently makes uses the same size tube.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
corenojc

Post by corenojc »

Evil D wrote:Boy that's a good question. I suppose if you get a good measurement there may be someone who makes them that will fit. Otherwise there's always a chance that something Spyderco currently makes uses the same size tube.

Thanks. Yea, I emailed Spyderco also to see if they had any info for me on that front. Unfortunately I don't have anything to get a precise measurement so I was hoping that same thing-that another model maybe has same size tube.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Your best bet is to call customer service. They may ask you to ship it to them.
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I will put a pair of calipers on mine tomorrow when I'm back to work where my tools are.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I take the tubes out of a lot of my knives. I have one from a Sliverax, one from a Southard and I think one from the Mantra 1. If anyone wants to do the measuring (I don't have calipers) I'll mail you one if they fit. Need to know the hole diameter and the width between the scales..
Last edited by Evil D on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~David
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Depending on the material, and if you could get me the measurements, I could have my lathe operator whip one out on the manual machine in a matter of minutes. Let me know if I can help.
corenojc

Post by corenojc »

Wow. I'm really grateful for the willingness to help from you all.

If one of you above is able to provide the measurements and someone either has one that can fit or will make one, let me know how much you want for them.

Thanks again all.
JT

Post by JT »

I bet there's some other models that have the same size tube.
For a cheap solution, if it is a user, you can roughly measure the hole and get some copper tube/pipe. It is very easy to work with, so you can "roll your own" if there's no other alternative.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
corenojc

Post by corenojc »

I thought so too but was told by Spyderco that they no longer have the parts for the Captain even if I wanted to send it in. I asked if another model would have the same size and they said they didn't know the specs on the lanyard tube but that most are knife specific so they didn't know if another would fit.

I'd like to have one that looks like the original one otherwise I might just live with not having it I suppose.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

corenojc wrote:I thought so too but was told by Spyderco that they no longer have the parts for the Captain even if I wanted to send it in. I asked if another model would have the same size and they said they didn't know the specs on the lanyard tube but that most are knife specific so they didn't know if another would fit.

I'd like to have one that looks like the original one otherwise I might just live with not having it I suppose.
I will get you measurements on my lunch break
*Landon*
JT

Post by JT »

corenojc wrote: that most are knife specific
That's interesting. I always assumed that there was like 3-4 different sized tubes, varying lenghts of course, and that's it.
Hope the other posters can help you out, at least for the dimensions.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

xceptnl wrote:
corenojc wrote:I thought so too but was told by Spyderco that they no longer have the parts for the Captain even if I wanted to send it in. I asked if another model would have the same size and they said they didn't know the specs on the lanyard tube but that most are knife specific so they didn't know if another would fit.

OAL: 0.490" (scale to scale but tube is slightly recessed)
ID: 0.1965"
Step OD: 0.2745"
Step Length: 0.1570"

Hope this helps
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:Your best bet is to call customer service. They may ask you to ship it to them.
I've been amazed throughout the years when I've called Spyderco Warranty & Repair Dept. at how they have been able to help me several times over the years with parts for older models. I'm not making any guarantees but it wouldn't surprise me either if they had what you are looking for.

It also depends on several factors. They seem to keep parts from their GOLDEN, CO plant longer than they do on the older Japan models and models made in various other countries like Taiwan for instance.

I've owned probably 5 or 6 of the C-111 CAptain models over the years. I'm still holding out hope that we will see a Spyderedged, Sprint version at some point. But it was a relatively good seller for the short time it was in the main line up and there is probably a good bet that you might get lucky. It was one of their Japan made, VG-10 folders and it seems like there is always a lot of stuff around for those. Keep us posted and let us know if you get any help from Spyderco on this part>> I would be interested to see how it turns out myself. That Captain model has quite a cult following as well and it's also a possibility someone over at Bladeforums might have what you're looking for if Spyderco doesn't.
corenojc

Post by corenojc »

JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:Your best bet is to call customer service. They may ask you to ship it to them.
I've been amazed throughout the years when I've called Spyderco Warranty & Repair Dept. at how they have been able to help me several times over the years with parts for older models. I'm not making any guarantees but it wouldn't surprise me either if they had what you are looking for.

It also depends on several factors. They seem to keep parts from their GOLDEN, CO plant longer than they do on the older Japan models and models made in various other countries like Taiwan for instance.

I've owned probably 5 or 6 of the C-111 CAptain models over the years. I'm still holding out hope that we will see a Spyderedged, Sprint version at some point. But it was a relatively good seller for the short time it was in the main line up and there is probably a good bet that you might get lucky. It was one of their Japan made, VG-10 folders and it seems like there is always a lot of stuff around for those. Keep us posted and let us know if you get any help from Spyderco on this part>> I would be interested to see how it turns out myself. That Captain model has quite a cult following as well and it's also a possibility someone over at Bladeforums might have what you're looking for if Spyderco doesn't.

They checked for me but they do not have the part anymore
corenojc

Post by corenojc »

xceptnl wrote:
xceptnl wrote:

OAL: 0.490" (scale to scale but tube is slightly recessed)

Hope this helps

Thank you very much. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit I don't know what all that means myself.
corenojc

Post by corenojc »

mrtodd777 wrote:Depending on the material, and if you could get me the measurements, I could have my lathe operator whip one out on the manual machine in a matter of minutes. Let me know if I can help.

With the measurements provided above how much would it cost me to have you make one?
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

One quick thought. Head to a hobby shop and look through their brass tubing selection. If you find something exact or close then cut it to length and peen it in place.
corenojc

Post by corenojc »

[OAL: 0.490" (scale to scale but tube is slightly recessed)

Hope this helps[/quote]

Any chance you could check one last thing for me? Guy that may be able to make a lanyard tube for me said this about the measurement he still needs: "missing the OD of the part that is not the step. (the middle portion that is between the scales)"

Would you be able to check that? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

corenojc wrote:
xceptnl wrote:[OAL: 0.490" (scale to scale but tube is slightly recessed)

Hope this helps

Any chance you could check one last thing for me? Guy that may be able to make a lanyard tube for me said this about the measurement he still needs: "missing the OD of the part that is not the step. (the middle portion that is between the scales)"

Would you be able to check that? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
That was the Step OD portion of the measurement I provided. I can't provide the OD of the smaller section of the tubing (that contacts the liners and scales) because I would have to disassemble the knife and I don't want to do that for obvious reasons. I provided the ID measurement for the tube and you should be able to approximate the smaller section of tubing OD based on the hole in the scales/liners.
*Landon*