Disapointed with customer service..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Re: Disapointed with customer service..

Post by MichaelScott »

Ok. Let’s try a thought experiment for some perspective. I’m making these numbers up, but I think they are in the ball park. Let’s say that there is a production run of 1500 and 50 are returned for warranty evaluation. That’s 3.3%. Of those, half are proven to be misused (including improper assembly) by the owners. So, about 1.5% of the returns are the result of some defect by Spyderco and need to be replaced. (Or, 98.5% are just fine.)

The odds of the replacement having the same issue is about 1.5%. This may prompt Spyderco's CQI process to become engaged and look into improving the design which may eventually result in modifications intended to lower the failure rate from 1.5% to 0%. An unlikely result but a worthy goal.

Because something does not perform to expectations less than 2% of the time does not crap make. If you are honest and return a legit warranty item then get a replacement that is not to say you will get another defective item. You might, but the odds that you won’t are extremely good.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Evil D wrote:
Daveho wrote:I don’t like the idea of cranking down the pivot and working the action, as I see it the plastic bearings cages could be damaged in doing so
Those plastic bearings only hold the bearings together, they don't bear any load whatsoever.

Canazes9 you wanna talk trash and say they'll just send you junk parts again, just return the knife and move on. Your ****** attitude doesn't help this issue one bit.

As for my work around, it works. Nobody is forcing anyone to do it. These knives also work just fine with the dents and in time the washers will wear in exactly how I forced them to work in, my method just speeds up the process.
I’m glad you are happy with your fix, I just don’t see it as best practice.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Daveho wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Daveho wrote:I don’t like the idea of cranking down the pivot and working the action, as I see it the plastic bearings cages could be damaged in doing so
Those plastic bearings only hold the bearings together, they don't bear any load whatsoever.

Canazes9 you wanna talk trash and say they'll just send you junk parts again, just return the knife and move on. Your ****** attitude doesn't help this issue one bit.

As for my work around, it works. Nobody is forcing anyone to do it. These knives also work just fine with the dents and in time the washers will wear in exactly how I forced them to work in, my method just speeds up the process.
When the pivot is torqued to normal spec there wouldn’t be an issue but when it’s over tightened you are putting more load on the cage than intended.

The cage is just free floating, it doesn't sandwich between the liner and blade, the bearings are all that makes contact. You really don't have to mash the pivot down hard to get the job done. Heck you really don't have to do anything more than just use the knife and this will all happen naturally over time anyway, the bearings are going to wear a groove into the washers one way or another, the way I do it just speeds up the process.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I’ve edited my post as really we don’t agree and honestly I don’t care.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

MichaelScott wrote:Ok. Let’s try a thought experiment for some perspective. I’m making these numbers up, but I think they are in the ball park. Let’s say that there is a production run of 1500 and 50 are returned for warranty evaluation. That’s 3.3%. Of those, half are proven to be misused (including improper assembly) by the owners. So, about 1.5% of the returns are the result of some defect by Spyderco and need to be replaced. (Or, 98.5% are just fine.)

The odds of the replacement having the same issue is about 1.5%. This may prompt Spyderco's CQI process to become engaged and look into improving the design which may eventually result in modifications intended to lower the failure rate from 1.5% to 0%. An unlikely result but a worthy goal.

Because something does not perform to expectations less than 2% of the time does not crap make. If you are honest and return a legit warranty item then get a replacement that is not to say you will get another defective item. You might, but the odds that you won’t are extremely good.
The one think missing from your thought experiment is actual statistics but I appreciate you making some up for us.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Daveho wrote:I’ve edited my post as really we don’t agree and honestly I don’t care.

Exactly. This is what it all boils down to. You don't want solutions. If you don't care, I won't either. Good luck.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Maybe I'm underestimating how hard it is to ship a knife from Australia, but after watching this thread go on for three days and four pages, maybe it would have been easier to just send it in? Unless you like arguing with people who are trying to help I suppose.
Seems like this horse has been thoroughly beat to death.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Maybe I'm underestimating how hard it is to ship a knife from Australia, but after watching this thread go on for three days and four pages, maybe it would have been easier to just send it in? Unless you like arguing with people who are trying to help I suppose.
In the past year I have lost 2 knives to the postal services of the world and as this was a gift from my wife I would rather not have what is my most expensive knife lost.
It may be challenging to understand heres how it runs down from my perspective, firstly I need to pay $20-$30 in postage that coupled with needing to include US currency which I also will need to take time off work to have the currency conversion done, Or i can include a cheque but as I don’t live in 1985 so don’t use them (can go to the bank, a bank cheque is $20 here)
As a result I end up losing a lot of time and it’s a considerable expense for the user if you are not in the US. It may not seem like a big deal to you and really as I have already sorted the issue it’s not for me either but for those who get a knife with issues and are useless with tools it is an issue. I know this has triggered many a fanboy and that’s fine but you need to understand I love my spydercos and feel quite let down that a company that does so much right can be so uninterested in making this process easier for their international customers.
Being able to purchase internal parts seems like like it should be a standard to me, I work in the auto industry and there are legal practices in place that specify that manufacturers MUST supply parts for years after that model has gone out of production, Ford gives it up as soon as they can generally and BMW will get/make anything from any model (at your cost of cause) but to be in a situation where something as simple as a bearing race for an in production model is simply not available without me losing around $100 dosnt strike me as reasonable.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Evil D wrote:
Daveho wrote:I’ve edited my post as really we don’t agree and honestly I don’t care.

Exactly. This is what it all boils down to. You don't want solutions. If you don't care, I won't either. Good luck.
No, I don’t want your solution as I don’t see it as a solution, I’m glad its worked for you and as I’ve said previously I have sorted my knife too. I still don’t see your method as best practice though.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm thinking the guy who rants for four pages about his warranty woes, and continues to do so is the one who is 'triggered' ;)

https://youtu.be/u8X76NRiQLQ

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I'm thinking the guy who rants for four pages about his warranty woes, and continues to do so is the one who is 'triggered' ;)

https://youtu.be/u8X76NRiQLQ
Evident you didn’t read the thread but yes, I was annoyed I couldn’t buy a part from the manufacturer, I sorted it and the discussion continues.
Thanks for link 2 vintage rock.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

you said it was a gift from your wife, then you said you bought it from a dealer in the US. care to share the name of the dealer?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
remnar

Post by remnar »

Daveho, I understand your disappointment and agree that there's got to be a better way to handle things like this, but I'm not sure what that is. I'm glad that you got your knife sorted and I hope your experience with the knife and here on the forum hasn't soured you too much to the Spyderco brand, but I would understand if it has. Have a great weekend! :) :spyder:
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

remnar wrote:Daveho, I understand your disappointment and agree that there's got to be a better way to handle things like this, but I'm not sure what that is. I'm glad that you got your knife sorted and I hope your experience with the knife and here on the forum hasn't soured you too much to the Spyderco brand, but I would understand if it has. Have a great weekend! :) :spyder:
Cheers bud ;)
I just feel a bit bad for those who can’t sort stuff for themselves but it’s good that these discussions are able to happen publicly, plenty of brands wouldn’t allow that.
While I’m probably going to have to consider purchases and look for reasons not to buy but that’s just me, my chances of damaging a knife might be higher than some as I use them and have no safe queens.
sal

Post by sal »

Daveho wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
but you need to understand I love my spydercos and feel quite let down that a company that does so much right can be so uninterested in making this process easier for their international customers.
Hi Dave,

We did. We set up an international distributor in Australia more than 25 years go that created the interest, services the country, and maintains inventory. They could have solved your problem with one phone call.

sal
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

yes, I can send it somewhere which this has been stated multiple times, I accept that, but it dosnt explain a reason as to why you won’t sell bearings or washers, I’m not looking for warranty service.
It cuts the customers wait time in half at least and when we are willing to pay for it what’s the problem with setting up a proviso so this is possible?
Additionally, it isn’t as simple as one phone call to zen imports isn’t what it takes, it’s an online form and a lengthy return process assuming it’s the same as the other brands they deal with.
Last edited by Daveho on Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Double post
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Speaking of people not reading the thread, if you didn't understand it the last 5 times it was explained to you, why bother saying it to you again??

Daveho

Post by Daveho »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Speaking of people not reading the thread, if you didn't understand it the last 5 times it was explained to you, why bother saying it to you again??
Very true
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Evil D wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree. The parts are junk. I don't have a knife to return. I think Spyderco is wrong for the way they've handled this issue from the beginning. Continuing to sell substandard knives at the same price and without disclosure as knives that have had the bearing issue corrected will result in pissed off dealers and customers avoiding Spyderco flippers like the plague.

David