Disapointed with customer service..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Daveho

Disapointed with customer service..

Post by Daveho »

I have just been given a mantra 1 by my wife for my birthday, this is my first expensive spyderco and I’ve noted a small issue that really doesn’t cause a huge issue but it’s enough to bother me.
Firstly I’ll list my little collection;
Ambitious
Dragonfly
Delica 4
Cat
And now my mantra.
This morning when given this knife I was over the moon, such a kind gift from my wife but I noted it was a bit rough on the flip, I disassembled it and found the races are dented from an over zealous assembly process. I have contacted customer support and was told to send the knife and money to spyderco as they will not supply “internal parts” however being in Australia this is a huge pain...
I’m so frustrated that the knife just isn’t quite what it should be all because I’m simply unable to buy a new pair of races, not even asking for warranty..
koenigsegg

Re: Disapointed with customer service..

Post by koenigsegg »

I've heard they're more likely to just replace the knife than to fix it
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

You are lucky that they didn't tell you outright that you might be out of luck because you disassembled it, as they told me when I filed a request because my Myrtle had a bent lockbar side scale from factory.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

How does Spyderco know it was not you that buggered the knife up? That can happen from over tightening the screws. That is pretty easy to do and is a pretty common occurrence. We can disassemble without voiding warranty but any damage done is on us.

Really though, what do you expect? They told you to send it in. They don't have W&R there so there isn't much choice on their end. They have a lot of good reasons to not just send parts to someone who may or not have the skills. It's a liability thing and is common sense why they do what they do.

Good luck.

Joe
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Given that it is a total of 3 screws it’s really not a hard thing to do, as far as my credentials I have built several track cars and rebuilt a few engines so, yes I’m quite capable of using a t8 driver...
The fact that you can’t buy a replacement part for knife in production is crap.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Never mind the fact that there are several reports from others about this issue, for contrast i wanted another clip for my mini grip, bench made sent me 2.
I’m happy to pay for the parts and shipping but having to send the knife in so they can undo a few screws, That’s not a common sense thing.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Welcome to the forum Daveho! :)

Unfortunately it's just the way it is mate and there's no changing it. If there is a flip side it's like koenigsegg said Spyderco are customer orientated and if you do decide to send them the knife they'll most likely send you a new one.

The only thing I'd like to add mate is the members here can't help you. Ultimately it's between you and Spyderco and there have been a few threads like this of late and they tend to degenerate and get a little heated.

Anyhow, as frustrating as it is now I'm fairly confident Spyderco will sort it out for you one way or another.
Last edited by Bloke on Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Again, there is nothing "common sense" about Spyderco refusing to provide washers and bearing races. These are not custom fit parts they are drop-in and replace. Again, Spyderco's weak bearing flipper design has been identified a problem, utterly ridiculous that they continue to allow this design to be sold when they have identified the problem and corrected the design flaws.

This scenario plays itself out with some frequency on this board. Some overseas customer frustrated with a Spyderco flipper, frustrated that they can't buy parts. Now it's time for the board regulars to tell the overseas customer he's in the wrong, it's not Spyderco's fault.

It is Spyderco's fault. They know there is a problem with the design and they continue to sell it. There's no good reason to deny customers the ability to buy drop in replacement parts, yet they continue to do it.

I love Spyderco, love the knives, but they are wrong in the way they are handling this. For every customer that posts on this board their frustrations, there are many more that do not. Many of those overseas customers (and US customers) never send the knife in because they are so frustrated with the process and the knowledge that it will never end - the bearings/washers will continue to be a problem and Spyderco's response is always "send it in and pay for the repairs yourself".

This is damaging Spyderco's reputation with their customers and their reputation in the industry. Spyderco customers shouldn't required to track Sal down on a forum board in order to get the satisfaction they were seeking when they called customer service.

David
Nate

Post by Nate »

OP,

Since you've already diassembled the knife and seem unwilling to ship the knife for warranty evaluation, you may want to check this thread out and see if you're able to adjust the knife to your liking:

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=71780
:spyder:
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Daveho wrote:I have just been given a mantra 1 by my wife for my birthday, this is my first expensive spyderco and I’ve noted a small issue that really doesn’t cause a huge issue but it’s enough to bother me.
Firstly I’ll list my little collection;
Ambitious
Dragonfly
Delica 4
Cat
And now my mantra.
This morning when given this knife I was over the moon, such a kind gift from my wife but I noted it was a bit rough on the flip, I disassembled it and found the races are dented from an over zealous assembly process. I have contacted customer support and was told to send the knife and money to spyderco as they will not supply “internal parts” however being in Australia this is a huge pain...
I’m so frustrated that the knife just isn’t quite what it should be all because I’m simply unable to buy a new pair of races, not even asking for warranty..
Dave,
Let me point out that your request for parts from Spyderco is based on your understanding that the knife is defective in either materials or workmanship. Or both. However, that is something that Spyderco must evaluate and decide to determine if there is indeed a valid warranty claim, or if the repairs are not covered and the repairs are necessarily to be charged for.
It would be bad business practice, and likely degrade Spyderco’s reputation for quality if they shipped replacement parts for free to anyone who requested them.

This doesn’t resolve your immediate issue I know but Spyderco has a well-deserved reputation for doing the right thing for their customers. I suggest you communicate directly with them. Arguments here will not help.

Regards,
Michael
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Send it in! I need to ship something in to be fixed myself, and I'm not looking forward to it. I know its a pain, I sympathize but give it try. If you're not pleased with the knife you get back, you can let us know.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

MichaelScott wrote:Dave,
Let me point out that your request for parts from Spyderco is based on your understanding that the knife is defective in either materials or workmanship. Or both. However, that is something that Spyderco must evaluate and decide to determine if there is indeed a valid warranty claim, or if the repairs are not covered and the repairs are necessarily to be charged for.
It would be bad business practice, and likely degrade Spyderco’s reputation for quality if they shipped replacement parts for free to anyone who requested them.

This doesn’t resolve your immediate issue I know but Spyderco has a well-deserved reputation for doing the right thing for their customers. I suggest you communicate directly with them. Arguments here will not help.

Regards,
Michael
Nailed it. Where's the Like/Upvote button?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Are these washers custom parts? Or is it something you can find on McMaster-Carr?

I understand this is frustrating but I understand it would cost Spyderco a bit of money to stock all the parts from their over-seas manufacturers for every model possible. It's a lot easier to just stock replacement knives. And remember, when something costs Spyderco money it costs us money in the final price.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I’m not asking to make a warranty claim.
yes that would be reasonable to request the whole knife be returned, what I’m asking for is to buy replacement parts, the shipping of a whole knife two ways when all I need is two washers shipped to me is crazy, I’ve lost 2 knives in shipping in the past year and I’d rather not risk paying to have the postal service lose it.
It’s all well and good to say “send it in” but really that’s money I shouldn’t have to pay to satisfy spydercos sub par policy.
I’m asking to buy parts for a knife in production.. how can this be that hard?
anycal

Post by anycal »

Totally understandable. What you are asking, in my mind, is not unreasonable. Despite what someone said, about shipping replacement parts for free, that is not what you said. But this is their policy, so take it or leave it.

In terms of the 'over zealous assembly process', I don't see it that way. Even if you put in brand new washers, they would eventually cup. The design and the thinness of the washer would cause this to reoccur. It is a moving part, and there is enough pressure during use and/or during adjustment, that this would happen again.

I have the Mantra 1. I took it apart. Washer are cupped and the action is not butter smooth (not like my ZT), but I am OK with it. I OCD on other things. I am willing to overlook the action because it doesn't really cause any issues, and I love the form factor of this knife.

That said, if I find a washer (actively looking) as thick as the caged bearing and washer combined, I will without hesitation get rid of the existing setup.

Good luck!

Edit: I will add. The action did get smoother after reassembly as I rotated the washers. And it got smoother still after use. Even though I can feel very slight grittiness, the blade falls freely without any blade play.
Peter
timlara

Post by timlara »

Welcome to the forum, Daveho.

Where was the knife purchased? Was it a dealer in Australia? Or somewhere that return shipping would be expensive?

On the few occasions where I have purchased Spydercos that had quality control issues, I have always just returned them to the dealer rather then going through the Spyderco warranty process directly.

Not to judge your situation one way or the other, as there are arguments for and against Spyderco sending out replacement parts (though their policy is that they don't, except for pocket clips as far as I know), but it seems like every time I see one of these threads come up on the forum, I don't usually see people mention that they tried to return the knife to the place they bought it first.
Tim
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I bought it from a dealer in the US but again as this is a common issue with the mantra it sounds as though it’s just the initial assembly has too much torque applied to the pivot so simply replacing the knife is no assurance that the next won’t have the same issue and I’ll just be out shipping costs, hence I’m willing to simply buy the washers and do it myself at my own cost.
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Daveho wrote:... I have contacted customer support and was told to send the knife and money to spyderco as they will not supply “internal parts” however being in Australia this is a huge pain...

Doesn't sound like Spyderco is interested in evaluating this as a warranty item, they have already made up their minds without looking at the knife, just the same as everyone of these posts that come up.

David
Uke

Post by Uke »

timlara wrote:Welcome to the forum, Daveho.

Where was the knife purchased? Was it a dealer in Australia? Or somewhere that return shipping would be expensive?

On the few occasions where I have purchased Spydercos that had quality control issues, I have always just returned them to the dealer rather then going through the Spyderco warranty process directly.

Not to judge your situation one way or the other, as there are arguments for and against Spyderco sending out replacement parts (though their policy is that they don't, except for pocket clips as far as I know), but it seems like every time I see one of these threads come up on the forum, I don't usually see people mention that they tried to return the knife to the place they bought it first.
I was thinking along these lines myself. When I lived in the UK I always purchased through the same well respected UK store with a solid returns/warranty policy to avoid just this type of issue. I know how much of a nightmare it can be shipping knives back and forth over the ocean, risking customs seizures and fees. Any time I had an issue back to the retailer it went and they'd replace or refund.

I'd recommend contacting the retailer Daveho and see if they can help you out. Hope you get it all sorted mate!

Edit: Sorry, posts crossed over and just saw you purchased from the US.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I went back and looked at a number of old forum posts about this and similar complaints. In almost every instance the original complainer had a reason why they would not return the problem knife to Spyderco. They all want an exception to Spyderco's policies. I am sorry that you aren’t satisfied with your knife and that you aren’t willing to abide by Spyderco's published warranty and repair policies. Living in Australia and choosing to buy a Spyderco knife from an American dealer shouldn’t exempt you from the same requirements that apply to the rest of us.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation