Disapointed with customer service..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
razorsharp

Re: Disapointed with customer service..

Post by razorsharp »

As someone from the Neighboring country. I can understand not wanting to send it back. It will take 2-3 weeks to get to SFO, At the cost of nearly $20 (USD) and take the same time to get back. And the customs is utter crap in Aussie, they could hold the package anywhere up to 3 weeks for inspection.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

One thing I imagine would work would be to crank the pivot and just work the action. In theory, it should roll out the dents.
Tedy

Post by Tedy »

ChrisinHove wrote:I can see both sides of this one, in principle, but keep coming back to the fact that all this fuss is about a few pennies worth of washers - that the OP wanted to pay for anyway!!!

As an overseas user, no way would I pay retail what they ask for these new, here, nor would I buy second-hand precisely because of this sort of issue - and I’m a fully paid-up Spyderco fanboy!
This !!!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I got it all back together and while my cutjack has a much better action and is on washers this will have to do.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Daveho, where in Oz are you?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey Daveho, welcome to the forum. The mantra is an outstanding knife and mine has amazing action. Sorry you got one with issues. That’s a bummer, especially given your location. There was a thread going here or on BF about replacing the washers on an Advocate with thicker ones. The correct parts are identified and several people have followed that solution I believe. Not sure if the same solution would work on the Mantra but maybe someone could post a link? That may not soothe your ire over Spydercos policy issues but if it helps you get your Mantra opening and closing as buttery smooth as mine does then it’s probably worth a look. The Mantra really is one of Spydercos all time great EDC designs so I hope you get yours sorted so you can enjoy it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

razorsharp wrote:One thing I imagine would work would be to crank the pivot and just work the action. In theory, it should roll out the dents.
I've proven that this works but nobody cares.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

My opinion about policy:
Policies are made as SOP so there can be a clear and consistent operations. There is a term called deviation to the policy. The deviation can be given by a higher authority. If a deviation is not approved, the authority acknowledged the pros and cons of not approving it.
I do this on daily basis with the limited authority given at my work. Sometimes the decision can have negative consequences.

Daveho,

Welcome to the forum. I also live far from US and when I buy, or disassemble the knife I always accept the risk is on me.

However, I also will decide the future purchase based on many factors including the warranty. So far minor issues like screws were resolved well. If it doesn’t, my consideration to buy another Spyderco might turn to be like yours. We are all responsible to the choice we make and the entailed risk, even if not all are made clear or obvious when the decision is made.

Hope you stay around and enjoy your knives!
Chris :spyder:
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Bloke wrote:Daveho, where in Oz are you?
Canberra
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Evil D wrote:
razorsharp wrote:One thing I imagine would work would be to crank the pivot and just work the action. In theory, it should roll out the dents.
Oh right..... Well thats silly.... It seems like a logical fix and if it works it doesnt hurt to try it. You're literally cold working the steel into a smooth race. I imagine the washers will still be dished and thats what throws people off. But if it makes the action better, why should it matter....lol
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

razorsharp wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Oh right..... Well thats silly.... It seems like a logical fix and if it works it doesnt hurt to try it. You're literally cold working the steel into a smooth race. I imagine the washers will still be dished and thats what throws people off. But if it makes the action better, why should it matter....lol
My washers on my Mantra are cupped like saucers but the action is second to none. I actually wish some of the naysayers could feel this knife. I bet it's as smooth or smoother than a Sebenza.
~David
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

My Southard came with an average action years ago, one day I did the pivot up a bit tighter than it needed to be and it made it smoother, I never really though about what it had done properly until yesterday when I posted that comment ...lol I had presumed it was just wearing the balls wearing their own groove into the blade, never really though about the fact I was probably cold rolling the washers smooth.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

There's well reviewed flipper CRKTs with completely dished washers and great action....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Guys, I’m not talking about dished washers, I’m talking about dents in the race caused by over zealous torque being applied to the pivot, now I assume this knife is as assembled by spyderco however it’s true that it could have been returned but it was sold to me by a dealer in the us as new.
I’ve sorted the issue myself now however it’s good that this has become a conversation.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Like the ball bearings themselves? Or dents in the thin washers? Crank the pivot and work the action for half an hour to roll them out
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Daveho wrote:Guys, I’m not talking about dished washers, I’m talking about dents in the race caused by over zealous torque being applied to the pivot, now I assume this knife is as assembled by spyderco however it’s true that it could have been returned but it was sold to me by a dealer in the us as new.
I’ve sorted the issue myself now however it’s good that this has become a conversation.
https://youtu.be/Kqfeop-ATew
Video cut off at 5 minutes but you get the idea.
~David
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

Evil D wrote:
Yes you did, but on my example, the washer cracked when I tried this suggestion. I should have sent it in.

I replaced the cracked washer (and the opposite washer), with a slightly thicker washer. Works fine, not great. Also has a larger gap between the blade, pivot and handle scales.

The only safe answer is to send in the lemon, pay up, and hopefully receive a serviceable knife in return. This option is off the table for me...
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

BrianMcCord wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Yes you did, but on my example, the washer cracked when I tried this suggestion. I should have sent it in.

I replaced the cracked washer (and the opposite washer), with a slightly thicker washer. Works fine, not great. Also has a larger gap between the blade, pivot and handle scales.

The only safe answer is to send in the lemon, pay up, and hopefully receive a serviceable knife in return. This option is off the table for me...
You wouldn't have received a serviceable knife, you would have received the sam knife, with the same problems and $20 worth of new junk parts.

David
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I don’t like the idea of cranking down the pivot and working the action, as I see it the plastic bearings cages could be damaged in doing so
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Daveho wrote:I don’t like the idea of cranking down the pivot and working the action, as I see it the plastic bearings cages could be damaged in doing so
Those plastic bearings only hold the bearings together, they don't bear any load whatsoever.

Canazes9 you wanna talk trash and say they'll just send you junk parts again, just return the knife and move on. Your ****** attitude doesn't help this issue one bit.

As for my work around, it works. Nobody is forcing anyone to do it. These knives also work just fine with the dents and in time the washers will wear in exactly how I forced them to work in, my method just speeds up the process.
~David