Spyderco Sharpmaker trouble

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Felr2

Spyderco Sharpmaker trouble

Post by Felr2 »

EDIT:

I had a wrong assumption. My bad. Please ignore.
Last edited by Felr2 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zhyla

Re: Spyderco Sharpmaker trouble

Post by zhyla »

I haven’t measured but I’m pretty sure the sharp maker rods are dead flat. I think you may be making an assumption about your bevels.
Felr2

Post by Felr2 »

zhyla wrote:I haven’t measured but I’m pretty sure the sharp maker rods are dead flat. I think you may be making an assumption about your bevels.
Yes, the rods are flat but the V shaped nature of the sharpmaker leads to a different degree throughout the rod when sharpening. The angle at which the tip meets the sharpmaker rods are different because the V is slope assuming that you keep the knife perfectly vertical through out the process.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Nope, if your rods are straight then the angle isn't changing along it's slope.

Either the bevel on your knife is not consistent or there is some operator error going on. Make sure you keep the knife perfectly vertical throughout your stroke. Some finding standing further back from the unit helps. I find using my kitchen table instead of my kitchen counter helps. Being a little lower it gives me a better vantage point.

Good luck figuring it out and we are here to help until you do. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Felr2

Post by Felr2 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Nope, if your rods are straight then the angle isn't changing along it's slope.

Either the bevel on your knife is not consistent or there is some operator error going on. Make sure you keep the knife perfectly vertical throughout your stroke. Some finding standing further back from the unit helps. I find using my kitchen table instead of my kitchen counter helps. Being a little lower it gives me a better vantage point.

Good luck figuring it out and we are here to help until you do. :)
Right I just realized that the angle is the same. I feel so dumb. It must be my error then. Back to sharpening again I guess.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If you were dumb you wouldn't have figured it out. ;) We all have our moments, guano happens.

Don't rule out a wonky bevel on your knife either. It is a common occurrence.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?