My modest collection

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
StuntZombie

My modest collection

Post by StuntZombie »

The past few months, I've been working toward putting together a stable of knives that would handle most of the tasks I deal with on a daily basis. I feel like I've finally reached that point, with a variety of knives for different situations that will likely last me a lifetime.

Work

When it came to choosing knives for work, there were a couple characteristics that I knew I wanted: something relatively rust resistant, and serrated edges. I work in an environment that's full of salt water, and most of my cutting involves slicing apart vinyl hoses or plastic zip ties. I started off with the Manbug Salt, and though it worked well, it was just a little too small. I picked up the used serrated Delica from eBay to replace the Manbug. It was one of the older models that had the integral pocket clip replaced by a metal one. I guess whoever owned it before me broke it at some point and had it fixed by Spyderco. The knife works well in my environment, but I noticed it would pick up a rust spot or two after a couple weeks of use. It wasn't a huge problem, but it convinced me I should look into getting a Salt model. As luck would have it, I stumbled across the Salt 2 for sale on Instagram. I loved the look of the dyed handle, and it was exactly when I was looking for in a work knife. The Delica and Manbug are sort of redundant at this point, especially since it seems like the plain edge portion of the Salt2 is the only part that's needed to be sharpened after several weeks of use. Still, it's nice to keep them around as backups, or for those times I want to change things up.

General EDC

Outside of work, I find I don't need the serrated edges as much. I fell in love with the Wharncliffe Delica when it was released, and when I saw the upgraded exclusive version from Cutlery Shoppe, I sold off my VG-10 version and replaced it with the S30V version. I wasn't sure how I would feel about the bright orange handle, but it's grown on me. Basic black gets a little boring after a bit, so I kinda like being able to add a little color to the collection.

The Stretch was purchased out of a desire for something larger. It also gave me the chance to try out ZDP-189. I pictured it as being more of an outdoors carry, but since it's been a bit chilly of late, it's spent most of its time in the kitchen. It's a lot more solid feeling than I would expect for an FRN handled knife, and I'm looking forward to getting a chance to putting it through its paces.

Dress/Social carry

For those times when I'm just hanging with friends, I wanted something smaller, unobtrusive, and just a little fancier than my other carry knives. The Ti Squeak was a no brainer, since it reminded of the Co-Pilot, one of my favorite little big knives. I got tired of the clip scratching the scales, so I removed it and just carry the knife in my watch pocket right now. It's big enough for me to get a secure grip, but small enough that I can barely tell that it's there. I've been tempted to stonewash or anodize the handle, but haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet.

The Vrango is one that caught my eye when it was first released, but I just couldn't bring myself to pay the admission price for a knife that would see limited use. When it went on clearance though, I just couldn't hold back. I wasn't sure how well the blade shape would work for me, but I have to admit it's grown on me. It's great for opening mail and packages, and makes a handy sausage slicer too. It's also a gorgeous knife, and if my example is indicative of the whole run, very, very well made.

The Clip-it Tool was a gift from my wife this past Christmas. It's another one that's perfect for watch pocket carry, and it has a bottle opener that actually sees quite a bit of use. Honestly, I wouldn't even mind if this one didn't have a blade, because I'd have fun just playing with the bottle opener.

Keepsakes

These are knives that have a lot of sentimental value, so they only get used on rare occasions. They might not see much use, but they'll also never leave my possession.

The Lava was actually the first knife my wife bought me when we started dating. It rode in my waistband for quite a few years before I finally retired it to the old knives' home.

The Santa Fe Stoneworks Delica was the wife's gift to me our first Christmas together. It's a beautiful knife, but I've always been a little worried about damaging the stone onlay on the handle. I somehow managed to chip it over the years, so I mainly keep it in the box.

The orange Spy-DK was her wedding day gift to me, since it almost matched the color of my pocket square. It fulfilled that role perfectly, being ultralight and slim. I actually carried and used this one quite a bit, but now it's mostly a desk knife.

So, other than maybe a fixed blade, I feel like..I'm good. I'm sure something else will catch my eye eventually, but until then, I'm pretty content.

Anyone else feel like they've reached a good stopping point?
Last edited by StuntZombie on Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Jazz

Re: My modest collection

Post by Jazz »

Nice collection, in my opinion. Of course, I especially like the orange Delica wharnie. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

For some reason, the pictures are not appearing.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Doc Dan wrote:For some reason, the pictures are not appearing.
Hmm, I don't know Doc. Maybe try a refresh?
Jazz wrote:Nice collection, in my opinion. Of course, I especially like the orange Delica wharnie. ;)
Gee..I wonder why that is.. ;) I'm kinda partial to that one myself. I'm tempted to switch it over into the Salt 2 handle, just because the main rust issue I have with the newer Delicas is on the liners.
Chris

Just say NO to lined FRN
Nate

Post by Nate »

Great post! I always enjoy seeing and hearing about other people's collections, thanks. Yours is much different than mine, but those are a bunch of great blades. Those Santa Fe scales in particular look outstanding!!

Been meaning to pick up a ClipiTool, but other Spydies keep leapfrogging them. I might get a couple with the scissors for my kids.

The Manbug Salt is my keychain knife. It doesn't see a lot of use since I always carry another edc, but I still like having it there.

I also have an orange Spy-DK that I picked up on clearance. I like it, but haven't carried it much. I actually mostly picked it up thinking if Spyderco does move forward with the Metro/Cosmo, I could potentially use it for a scale swap, but there are some merits to the narrower, pointy blade shape as well.
StuntZombie wrote: ...Anyone else feel like they've reached a good stopping point?
Probably at least a dozen times, but it's never lasted lol.
:spyder:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

That's a well rounded and thought out collection Chris. I wish I could say I have reached a point where I am good, but Sal keeps making new models and I can't resist trying. As for the small fixed blade, I have been carrying a Mule or Swick since the "fixed blade challenge" from late last year. Currently almost done with my first modded Mule. Hope to be done next week at this time.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

I feel like I have hit the end of my collection too. Now if I get another knife I usually sell one off to pay for it. I have all kinds of different steels and I realize that they all do the same thing, which is cut, so I have really started second guessing buying any more knives. Cool post.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

StuntZombie wrote: I'm tempted to switch it over into the Salt 2 handle, just because the main rust issue I have with the newer Delicas is on the liners.

You'll like it if you do.
- best wishes, Jazz.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

ross8425 wrote:I feel like I have hit the end of my collection too. Now if I get another knife I usually sell one off to pay for it. I have all kinds of different steels and I realize that they all do the same thing, which is cut, so I have really started second guessing buying any more knives. Cool post.
Thanks man. That's what I've been doing lately. I'm finding since I cut back on impulse buying, I tend to actually hold on to things longer. If I see something I want, and still want it after thinking about it for a few days, then I'll find a way to buy it. If I can talk myself out of it in 15 minutes, then it wasn't meant to be.

I've also been limiting myself to the use of gift cards, or money I make selling things on eBay. That way, I'm not using money from the bank account, and therefore it doesn't take away from bills or other amenities.
Chris

Just say NO to lined FRN
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Nate wrote:Great post! I always enjoy seeing and hearing about other people's collections, thanks. Yours is much different than mine, but those are a bunch of great blades. Those Santa Fe scales in particular look outstanding!!

Been meaning to pick up a ClipiTool, but other Spydies keep leapfrogging them. I might get a couple with the scissors for my kids.

The Manbug Salt is my keychain knife. It doesn't see a lot of use since I always carry another edc, but I still like having it there.

I also have an orange Spy-DK that I picked up on clearance. I like it, but haven't carried it much. I actually mostly picked it up thinking if Spyderco does move forward with the Metro/Cosmo, I could potentially use it for a scale swap, but there are some merits to the narrower, pointy blade shape as well.
StuntZombie wrote: ...Anyone else feel like they've reached a good stopping point?
Probably at least a dozen times, but it's never lasted lol.
I was initially skeptical of the ClipiTools, but I'm glad I have one now. I was tempted to buy one of the cheap closeout black handled Spy-DK's, so I could switch the new blade into the orange handle. I think I might have missed my chance though.

xceptnl wrote:That's a well rounded and thought out collection Chris. I wish I could say I have reached a point where I am good, but Sal keeps making new models and I can't resist trying. As for the small fixed blade, I have been carrying a Mule or Swick since the "fixed blade challenge" from late last year. Currently almost done with my first modded Mule. Hope to be done next week at this time.
Thanks Landon. Sal and company certainly don't make it easy on the folks trying not to spend money.

I've actually been thinking about one of the Mules, just because I like the handle shape, and the overall size of the knife. I might have to look and see what's still available.
Chris

Just say NO to lined FRN
Nate

Post by Nate »

StuntZombie wrote:I was initially skeptical of the ClipiTools, but I'm glad I have one now. I was tempted to buy one of the cheap closeout black handled Spy-DK's, so I could switch the new blade into the orange handle. I think I might have missed my chance though.

I've actually been thinking about one of the Mules, just because I like the handle shape, and the overall size of the knife. I might have to look and see what's still available.
Glad to hear you like the ClipiTool. I think you're right about the DKs. By the time I decided to get one, I could only find orange at a good price.

There should be lots of mules to choose from. I've been thinking about another but shouldn't since I'm already on the hook for some upcoming stuff.
:spyder:
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I don’t really have a collection. I suppose if I was still working my corporate job I might. But I do have a modest range of Spydercos. Usually I sell one, or something on eBay to fund a different knife. I have:
Small - Roadie
Medium - Delica 4 Zome
Large - Polestar

Delica may get replaced by Chaparral FRN

Fixed: none. Might manage a Mule some day.

I do enjoy reading about and seeing other’s knives and what people think about them.

I tend to resist impulse buying too. Get OCD on certain knives though.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

Nice post and pics,

I like the Wharncliffe Delica as well but am waiting on the HAP40 to come out.

That Ti Squeak, man that is nice. And you are right, those Ti scales make it a very nice (and yes a little fancier) small knife.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek