Edge Test

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FaithfulPastor

Edge Test

Post by FaithfulPastor »

One way I test the edge of a blade is to cut a piece of paper.
Nothing new there.
However, I have an old telephone book with really thin, flimsy paper.
Is my assumption correct? I assume that thinner paper is more likely to reveal a bad edge then thicker paper.

My thinking was that if there's a problem with the knife, the thin paper will tear, rather than be cut by a knife.

Am I off track with that line of thinking?

FP
Wanimator

Re: Edge Test

Post by Wanimator »

Yes. Edge differences are more detectable this way. It's a common, if not standard test.
FaithfulPastor

Post by FaithfulPastor »

Wanimator, thank you for your reply!

What do you think of me using thin paper as my test?

Thanks!!!
Michael
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

FaithfulPastor wrote:Wanimator, thank you for your reply!

What do you think of me using thin paper as my test?

Thanks!!!
Michael
It's more difficult to cut, especially push cutting. The coarser the edge the more difficulty you'll have.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I found that using multiple media tells me a lot about a knife as I'm sharpening. I use regular paper and phonebook paper as a general guide. Then, when I get towards the end of sharpening a knife, I use hair. I draw a hair up against the edge vertically to see if I can shave/split the hair lengthwise, and I also try to chop a hair held in one hand. I also do the standard self-shave test, but I use the hair on the top of my thighs instead of my arms as there is more of it for testing and it's less obvious when I'm done. :p
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Nate

Post by Nate »

Hello again Michael,

I agree with the above. When I first learned to sharpen, cleanly slicing standard printer paper was my first benchmark, but I quickly learned that many would consider an edge that would only slice printer paper as actually fairly dull. Moving to phone book or receipt paper is a pretty logical next step as a test once you move up in proficiency.

Other common sharpness tests are things like tissue or toilet paper, shaving arm hair, catching hair above the skin or "tree-topping," cutting a hanging hair, or even hair-whittling. :eek:

You can go even further down the rabbit hole and start looking at different grit finishes to optimize sharpness for push-cutting vs. slicing depending on how you use your knives. I generally leave my edges fairly coarse and am happy with the sharpness once the blade will cleanly shave forearm hair, though sometimes I just go by receipt or phone book paper if I'm sharpening a lot of knives at once.
:spyder:
Nate

Post by Nate »

Nevermind, too silly. :)
Last edited by Nate on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A sheet of toilet paper or a Kleenex will certainly show how sharp a knife is.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050