Knives going out of stock in Canada?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Felr2

Knives going out of stock in Canada?

Post by Felr2 »

I've noticed that Amazon and most retailers have ran out of stock on many knives. The remaining ones have jacked up the prices.

Is this because of the new CBSA rule? Are they not able to bring any more folding knives like spydercos into Canada?
mjdragonfly

Re: Knives going out of stock in Canada?

Post by mjdragonfly »

In the last month I have purchased a number of knives from Blades Canada in Vancouver BC so I have been watching there site for the last few months. They now have lots of new 2018 models which are flippers and assisted openers. For businesses I do not think that there is any issue at the present. I am however not so sure that as an individual if I ordered (and imported) a flipper or assisted open knife from the USA that it might not make it through. I cannot afford to take that chance so my purchases will be from Canadian dealers. Crazy thing is that I can buy an 18" Bolo knife no problem but that 3 or 4 inch flipper is somehow dangerous and scary. This is really messed up thinking.
Last edited by mjdragonfly on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calgary on the Bow
Felr2

Post by Felr2 »

mjdragonfly wrote:In the last month I have purchased a number of knives from Blades Canada in Vancouver BC so I have been watching there site for the last few months. They now have lots of new 2018 models which are flippers and assisted openers. For businesses I do not think that there is any issue at the present. I am however not so sure that as an individual if I ordered (and imported) a flipper or assisted open knife from the USA that it might not make it through. I cannot afford to take that chance so my purchases will be from Canadian dealers. Crazy thing is that I can buy an 18" Bolo knife no problem but that 3 or 4 inch flipper is somehow dangerous and scary. This is really messed up thinking.
I really hope that businesses can still import knives without being affected by that rule but Kershaw's website states "This product is only available in the United States. Canadian law currently prohibits the import of flipper/assisted opening knives." on the Skyline product page. And I definitely noticed skyline becoming unavailable in most retailers in Canada recently...
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

seems the issue is not the law but rather decisions made by Canada Customs agents. I don't even want to read about it makes my blood boil. Only one way to stop all of this stuff, and that is to get out and vote.
Calgary on the Bow
Felr2

Post by Felr2 »

sigh I got a reply from Blades Canada saying that they are being affected by the CBSA law... I can't believe my hobby is coming to an end because of something stupid like this.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Felr2 wrote:sigh I got a reply from Blades Canada saying that they are being affected by the CBSA law... I can't believe my hobby is coming to an end because of something stupid like this.
Can you elaborate on what they said exactly? Or share the email?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Yes I would also be interested in exactly what was communicated.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
bacmapei

Post by bacmapei »

Not to detract from the OP, I'll post part of a reply I received yesterday in response to my question about the Para 3 s90v sprint not being found on the Blades Canada pages:

[/"As you may be aware, recent CBSA importation restrictions have made it difficult to bring in folding knives. While the laws within Canada have not changed, importing to re-stock many of our products has become extremely difficult...........,so we have disabled coming soon products until we have more information and what we can bring inb] *note: some editing for length
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

on topic, but not the Blades Canada subject,

I have a few Canadian friends on a different forum that have often imported Chinese knives (OHO budget folders, with frame lock, liner lock, "axis" lock and opened with flipper or thumbstud) They've never had an issue with them for years, but this past first week of February they've had the packages stopped at the border. :eek:

The "Notice of Detention" was from CBSA agents, by the member's words:

"The notice advised very briefly that a folding knife was detained under section 101 of the Customs Act and that the goods cannot be imported into Canada until a CBSA officer is satisfied that they comply with the Customs Act etc. etc. Further to that it advised that due to the volume of files it may take 6 to 8 weeks to process the file. It also advised that I was "required to contact the following address concerning the requirements that have to be met".

it seems like they're really serious about spoiling the hobby :(
Js447

Post by Js447 »

There was a post about this issue earlier in January. It's become an issue due to the CITT ruling on a case where an individual tried to import five kershaw skylines that were seized, and the subsequent appeal was dismissed. That particular case led to the change in the definition of a "flick knife" Making it applicable to any knife that opens with a flick of the wrist and "some minimal manipulation" of thumb studs or other hollowing or protrusions on the blade. Effectively this has established case law that is applicable to virtually any folding knife in existence. It seems that CBSA has taken to applying this ruling as liberally as possible. At this point individuals have virtually no chance of importing any folding knife. To be clear, the CITT ruling was not a change in the criminal code, but was a change on how the CITT determines the eligibility of a blade for import. Ironically you could ship the separate components across the border and assemble the product in full in Canada and it would be still be a legal folding knife, go figure
bacmapei

Post by bacmapei »

My sprint run Para 3 is shipping today from Ontario, so some import shipments are continuing (which makes me happy), but it sounds like a very uneven playing field between retailers and individuals. Thanks to the other forum members for their updates and sharing the information they have.
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

I was talking to Christina at Blades Canada on Monday about a special order of a Boker that they do not happen to have in stock (they have about 500 Bokers in stock). She said they no longer did special orders and we discussed it for a while but she never made mention of not being able to bring in knives from Boker America. They have new some brand new knives in stock, guess they arrived in January or early Feb. This could crush a lot of small businesses in Canada and hurt international suppliers as well and it is all so very unnecessary.
Calgary on the Bow
Felr2

Post by Felr2 »

From Blades Canada:

"Unfortunately we have started to be affected by the new restrictions of importation, and we have had to raise our prices across the board in order to preserve our inventory. We understand this is frustrating, as we have worked tirelessly for years to bring you the largest selection and lowest prices in the country. We value our customers very much, and hope that you understand this was a necessary step that we had no choice but to take.

It's all in the early stages so we don't have further information on on what we will be able to bring at this point in time. Please note that the laws within canada have not changed and you can continue to purchase what we have should you choose to."
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

This is absolutely brutal. I’ve sent a letter to my MP but doubt it will accomplish anything.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

knifepocalypse :(
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

I just sent a letter to my MP as well (first time). This is totally an unnecessary mess. I am just choked!
Calgary on the Bow
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

adancingmonkey wrote:knifepocalypse :(
This. Eh.

@liquid_cobra
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

bacmapei wrote:My sprint run Para 3 is shipping today from Ontario, so some import shipments are continuing (which makes me happy), but it sounds like a very uneven playing field between retailers and individuals. Thanks to the other forum members for their updates and sharing the information they have.
This only pertains to knives entering Canada and not shipping within Canada the knives are legal. It is Custome which has a problem.
Your knife was obviously in stock prior to this. Good for you. Better buy what ever it is that you want now if you can find it in stock. Even if you change you mind later and don't want it selling it second hand in Canada will be easy due to it not being available any longer. Glad I just got my Manix 2 lockback and Endura 4 this week.
Calgary on the Bow
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Well, I'm glad I went ahead and got my backup Chinook 4 in January.

It's looking unlikely that I will score a Shabaria sprint though, which is a bummer.

Why can't we have nice things?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Honestly, if we can't get new stuff, there's not much point even checking out this forum. So much for an Endura wharncliffe. Some jackass customs idiot somewhere is right proud of himself too. I'd like to let his hind part meet my foot.

I just looked at W & W's prices. Looks like I'm done.
- best wishes, Jazz.