Knives going out of stock in Canada?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Re: Knives going out of stock in Canada?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Jazz wrote:Honestly, if we can't get new stuff, there's not much point even checking out this forum. So much for an Endura wharncliffe. Some jackass customs idiot somewhere is right proud of himself too. I'd like to let his hind part meet my foot.

I just looked at W & W's prices. Looks like I'm done.
Well they have a business to run, and suddenly they can’t stock any products so they need to boost prices. I get it.

Don’t be done man. We need to come together to fight this. I’m really curious to see what Spyderco is willing to do to help.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
vivi

Post by vivi »

Jazz wrote:Honestly, if we can't get new stuff, there's not much point even checking out this forum. So much for an Endura wharncliffe. Some jackass customs idiot somewhere is right proud of himself too. I'd like to let his hind part meet my foot.

I just looked at W & W's prices. Looks like I'm done.
Knives that don't fold still pass :)
:unicorn
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Most lockbacks and slip joints would likely pass as well.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

adancingmonkey wrote:Most lockbacks and slip joints would likely pass as well.
Maybe slip joints only because they don’t lock. But lockbacks aren’t safe.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
adancingmonkey wrote:Most lockbacks and slip joints would likely pass as well.
Maybe slip joints only because they don’t lock. But lockbacks aren’t safe.
Sure, we are expected to see the Customs guard's logic and that is "if the pocket knife with a 3.5" blade has no lock then the knife is safe and harmless but if the pocket knife's blade has a lock then the pocket knife is deadly". Sure that makes total sense. Now we know where all the drugs that Customs confiscate goes to...the guards are smoking it!
Calgary on the Bow
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1331138

CTV Calgary did a tv spot on the CBSA ruling.

@liquid_cobra
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Liquid Cobra wrote:https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1331138

CTV Calgary did a tv spot on the CBSA ruling.
Good to see its getting attention
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Calling your legislator probably won't help. That's a decision made by (un-elected) bureaucrats. Democracy has no say in the decision.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Calling all Canadians!!!!!!

Below is a link to an actual petition created by a conservative member of parliament. If it gets to 500 signatures it will be discussed in the House of Commons which could lead to the recent CBSA ruling being reversed. Currently this is our best chance at a reversal. So if you are Canadian, and care about being able to continue to purchase Spyderco products or any other folding knives please sign.

Signing it only takes a second.

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Peti ... ion=e-1552

@liquid_cobra
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:24 pm
Calling all Canadians!!!!!!

Below is a link to an actual petition created by a conservative member of parliament. If it gets to 500 signatures it will be discussed in the House of Commons which could lead to the recent CBSA ruling being reversed. Currently this is our best chance at a reversal. So if you are Canadian, and care about being able to continue to purchase Spyderco products or any other folding knives please sign.

Signing it only takes a second.

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Peti ... ion=e-1552
Signed. It was easy enough. Looks as thought it will be a few months. We'll see.
jarvis959

Post by jarvis959 »

Signed! As of now we've got 6x the number of signatures needed for the House of Parliament to have to address it, but more is obviously pressure politicians to take it seriously.
Paramilitary 2, Para 3, Sage 5, Delica 4 ZDP189, Dragonfly 2 ZDP189, Techno
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:51 am
Calling your legislator probably won't help. That's a decision made by (un-elected) bureaucrats.

All bureaucrats report up to a legislator. In the case of the CBSA, that's Ralph Goodale, Minister of Public Safety, MP for Regina-Wascana. In the case of the CITT, that's Bill Morneau, Minister of Finance, MP for Toronto-Centre.

That said, calling these legislators probably won't help. Voting them out on the other hand... If the previous government was able to scrap the long gun registry, surely they would be able to get folding knives flowing across the border again.

BTW, new forum member, really enjoy my Delica, Endura and PM2.
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

Assisted open knives are important too especially for folks with joint issues (I have learned) who may have difficulty with flippers thumb studs or spydie holes.
Calgary on the Bow
BigCanadian

Post by BigCanadian »

Stopping the import of all folding knives that can be opened with one hand, is ridiculous!!

If you are Canadian, please sign this petition, then share it on your social media. Thank you.

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Sign/e-1552
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

BigCanadian wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:07 am
Stopping the import of all folding knives that can be opened with one hand, is ridiculous!!

I've heard that the spydienailnick will be the next big thing

On the other hand there's a huge border between the peoplehole females republic of trudeau and the States

Summer holidays, get a bus into US, fill a backpack full of spydercos and have a nice hiking thru the woods back home

When there's a will there's a way, Spyderprohibition can be eluded :D
BigCanadian

Post by BigCanadian »

Gsg9,

Trust me, I didn't vote for Trudeau.
If I lived close and had the funds, I would drive across that border, into the U.S.A., and buy some Spydies.

The knives are not illegal to own, just not able to get through Canada Customs. Makes a lot of sense, right?

Enjoy your Land Of The Free :)
Hal Ling

Post by Hal Ling »

I can say that I have ordered 2 Spydercos recently (in late Jan); one being the Starmate and the other the Lil Lionspy, from a seller on Amazon, and both knives shipped from the US, passed through Canada customs, and were released for delivery after sitting in customs about 10 days each. The one I got in my mailbox here in Alberta about 2 weeks ago, the other was marked as "delivered" but wasn't -but that's due to the crappy local Canada Post service and not because of Border Services seizing the knife.

So I think enforcement will continue to be very sporadic -at least initially. The old workaround of having the seller simply tighten down the pivot screw so that the blade can't be easily opened has been identified by Border Services as an attempt to circumnavigate the restriction and probably won't be enough to allow a knife through anymore. A better solution perhaps; the blades could be removed and shipped separately. It might void a warranty, but it's better than not getting the knife at all.

I have another Syderco en route from Russia as I type this. I will keep everyone posted about what happens with that knife as well. At the end of the day, you're probably still taking a risk, no matter what you do.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

IR192

Post by IR192 »

Donated, shared also. This is ******.
Recently Acquired: Hap40 Endura, Hap40 Stretch, Manix2 LW XHP, PM2 Cruwear, Farid K2, Kiwi4, LC200N Native, Large Lum Folder, Manix2 Cruwear.

In The Works: 204P Military, Nirvana, Slysz Bowie.
-Ed
Tims

Post by Tims »

Condolences to all Canadians.

This reminds me of the dark days of import restrictions we faced here in Australia. Even lockbacks were fair game. I got a few through early on by asking sellers to tighten pivots(or perhaps luck?) but after losing a Delica to customs I realised it was all over. On principal I wasn't willing to pay the outrages sums Oz retailers were charging.

That period had a real impact on my enthusiasm for knives. Looking online at all the knives I couldn't have gave me the sh*ts so I stopped looking.

Given the attitude toward knives at the time, I stopped carrying altogether.

Then one day, years later I thought I would punish myself by looking at what new models I had been missing out on. It was then I discovered the restrictions had been lifted. Very rarely are your rights returned after being taken away.

So I guess the moral of that story is, hard as it is now, there is hope that things may return to the way they were.

Goodluck