Fixed blade sprints

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zhyla

Re: Fixed blade sprints

Post by zhyla »

TomAiello wrote:My most often used Spyderco is my Sprig. Followed by my South Fork. Followed by whatever folder I'm EDCIng that day.

My entire set of kitchen knives is also Spyderco (fixed blades) kitchen series.
Wow. You might be in the running for Spyderco Fixie #1 collector.

I really wish it weren't the case. Almost nobody makes serrated production fixed blades. I was about to harp on the pricing of their fixed blades but I have to say, the Street Bowie at $77 is fairly reasonably priced and the Aqua Salt at just north of $100 is probably a bargain for a very niche product. Have the fixed blades not seen the price increases that the folders saw recently?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Not counting a pile of Mules I have about 10-12 fixed blade Spydies.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I have 4 Spyderco Fixed blades, and my next 4 Spyderco purchases would be fixed knives if I had the $...

- Jumpmaster 2
- Waterway
- Fish Hunter
- SE ARK

also of the 10 Discontinued Spydies I'd like the most to have, 6 are Fixed Blades

they do quality knives, in every category :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would be very interested in an M4 Streat Beat, however unlikely that may be.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Been waiting soooo long for the Spydie fillet knife. Not sure if I'll be in the market if and when it happens. Picked up a couple new ones Frost/Mora(inexpensive) PG series, very functional and get razor sharp quickly. My kids all love their kitchen knives, they see a lot of use. My Sprig has been busy as the crappie have really lit off since the last full moon. Been limiting on nice slabs the last few trips. My wife says I'm killing so many babies as they're full of roe. :eek: Fried roe is pretty tasty. :)

I know Sal said if a fillet were done it would be made in China, probably a nice knife, but there is already a LOT of competition in the lower end fillet knives. Would love to see a Phil Wilson fillet sprint, ground thin not too much flex, 7-8 inches in stainless with good edge retention. Guess we can keep dreaming. :rolleyes: Would make good gifts for the kids.
ikaretababy

Post by ikaretababy »

zhyla wrote: I'm actually surprised by how many fixed blade models there are. Who buys them? I've never seen a fixed blade Spyderco anywhere, not even in a store.
The Spyderco Moran is the only knife that comes out now during hunting season. It replaced a collection of much more expensive and much less practical Bark River knives. It really is perfect It completely outclasses its competitors in comfort and function. Just wish it was in a different steel!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

zhyla wrote:Almost nobody makes serrated production fixed blades. I was about to harp on the pricing of their fixed blades but I have to say, the Street Bowie at $77 is fairly reasonably priced and the Aqua Salt at just north of $100 is probably a bargain for a very niche product. Have the fixed blades not seen the price increases that the folders saw recently?
For inexpensive serrated fixed blades, you should check out the kitchen utility knives. The K04S ($30) and K05S ($25) are definitely good value. We use them constantly. People buying cheap kitchen knives think they're "too expensive" and people buying expensive kitchen knives think they're "too cheap" but they're just about perfect for our kitchen, which has lots of houseguests coming in and out,with the attendant risk of someone "helpfully" abusing knives. I've had enough knives run through the dishwasher that the Sprig and Southfork got moved to a different drawer, and the PW custom B&T gets moved upstairs when we have house guests I know aren't knife people. I have a K05 at work too, and I don't stress if some random person borrows it.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Tdog wrote:Been waiting soooo long for the Spydie fillet knife.
If it's a PW design, I'm buying it, for sure.

I have several friends who do a lot of fishing who'll probably end up with them as gifts, too.
vivi

Post by vivi »

zhyla wrote: I'm actually surprised by how many fixed blade models there are. Who buys them? I've never seen a fixed blade Spyderco anywhere, not even in a store.
My last few Spyderco purchases have been fixed blades. I've purchased their fixed blades as long as I have folders.

Dunno why so many knife guys seem to think carryring one makes you rambo. Trying pocketing an Ark or strapping it to the front of your belt horizontally, it's super convenient.

In fact I don't even know the last time I carried a folding spyderco. The only folding knives I carry these days are multitools. Got my Rebar in my 5th pocket and a Shadow Tech Hiker on a static line in front of my hip.

(Forgive the atrocious edge, just started reprofiling it today)

The Ronin 2 is on my belt 5 to 6 days per week while my folders sit in a drawer. They have a lot going for them:

- No pivot screw to adjust
- No messing with loc-tite
- Nothing to lube
- No lock that can fail or wear out
- No clips to decrease ergonomics, yet they're still easy to carry
- No lcok to disengage before putting the knife away
- So much easier to clean. Rinse the entire knife with no worries about moisture getting trapped in the liners and pivot and forming rust.
- Quicker, simpler deployment.
- Customs available as low as $50 (That shadow tech was less than $60 shipped with kydex and micarta)
- Rounded, contoured scales. Sure, the Shaman is out there, but that's often the norm for fixed, not the exception.
- Tougher. In the past month I've used my EDC's to baton and pry chunks of fatwood off this stump near my house. Wouldn't do that with a Millie or Delica.

A2 and Micarta with a nice kydex sheath for under $70 shipped. Tough as nails and attractive as ****, what's not to like :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Vivi wrote:Dunno why so many knife guys seem to think carryring one makes you rambo.
I think it might have to do with where you live. Where I live (rural Idaho), no one blinks to see you carrying a 5" fixed blade on your belt. Heck, around here, no one blinks to see you carrying a 5" 1911 on your belt. But my brother lives in the San Francisco bay area, and I bet if I walked around with a 3" fixed blade on my belt there, someone would call the police.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Vivi wrote:Dunno why so many knife guys seem to think carryring one makes you rambo. Trying pocketing an Ark or strapping it to the front of your belt horizontally, it's super convenient.
In my particular jurisdiction pocketing an Ark is illegally carrying a concealed weapon. I think I can't go on campus at my kids' school with one either.
That's the main reason I haven't explored fixed blades (other than machetes) very much. I feel like most of the belt carry options don't mesh well with sitting in a car or office chair. I also think that while blinks an eye when I pull out a folder at work a belt sheath would draw unnecessary attention.

Totally agree on fixed blades having the upper hand on handles. Folder handles have to be designed around locks, clips, pivots, and the shape of the blade it needs to conceal.
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

ikaretababy wrote:Why do we see so many sprints for folders and very very few for fixed blades? I like collecting the sprints as I suspect many posters here do.
Such a great thread and topic. Welcome to the forum..... :spyder:
Last edited by dtoad on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

zhyla wrote:
Vivi wrote:Dunno why so many knife guys seem to think carryring one makes you rambo. Trying pocketing an Ark or strapping it to the front of your belt horizontally, it's super convenient.
In my particular jurisdiction pocketing an Ark is illegally carrying a concealed weapon. I think I can't go on campus at my kids' school with one either.
That's the main reason I haven't explored fixed blades (other than machetes) very much. I feel like most of the belt carry options don't mesh well with sitting in a car or office chair. I also think that while blinks an eye when I pull out a folder at work a belt sheath would draw unnecessary attention.

Totally agree on fixed blades having the upper hand on handles. Folder handles have to be designed around locks, clips, pivots, and the shape of the blade it needs to conceal.
Slim knives carried horizontal on the belt is where its at when it comes to sitting comfortably. That Landi EDC carries very well like that, much less smaller knives.

Can't do much about the laws though!
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

TomAiello wrote:
Vivi wrote:Dunno why so many knife guys seem to think carryring one makes you rambo.
I think it might have to do with where you live. Where I live (rural Idaho), no one blinks to see you carrying a 5" fixed blade on your belt. Heck, around here, no one blinks to see you carrying a 5" 1911 on your belt. But my brother lives in the San Francisco bay area, and I bet if I walked around with a 3" fixed blade on my belt there, someone would call the police.
Could be. For what it's worth I haven't had any comments on my fixed blades, but I never got comments on folder either. I'm lucky to live somewhere that I can open abox with a Szabo folder and the only comments I'm at risk for are admiring ones :)
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I also seem to be favoring small FB instead of folders these last months. Maybe a revamped LC200N Swick or Spot with some redesign would be the EDC small FB that Spyderco still (IMO) lacks,

the ARK being too small, the Aqua/JM/Fish Hunter too big, and the Enuffs being too thick...
I only see the Waterway and SPOT sized blades as capable knives for urban carry that have all the characteristics of a good sheath knife
vivi

Post by vivi »

I think an LC200N Swick revival would be a great idea. Few fixed blades carry as well as a Swick with kydex, while still offering a full 4 finger grip.
ikaretababy

Post by ikaretababy »

I like the size of the ark although i think the bigger enuff line is the sweet spot for small fixed blade. It has more to do with the handle size than the blade size. Both these knives are made in japan so that restricts some of the steel possibilities on a potential sprint.
Reject

Post by Reject »

zhyla wrote:
Nate wrote:fixed blades just don't sell well for them overall compared to the folders. I think sales is most of the answer.
I'm pretty sure it's the entire answer. I wouldn't be surprised if their fixed blade volume is small enough that the actual production batches aren't much smaller than a PM2 sprint run.

I'm actually surprised by how many fixed blade models there are. Who buys them? I've never seen a fixed blade Spyderco anywhere, not even in a store.
Me :D Me :D I buy them.

Just realized how old that photo is; :o it needs to be updated.
How much can a Koala bear?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

That’s amazing.
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Reject wrote:
Me :D Me :D I buy them.

Just realized how old that photo is; :o it needs to be updated.
Outstanding Collection to say the least. Great picture.....