Fixed blade sprints

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ikaretababy

Fixed blade sprints

Post by ikaretababy »

I've seen variations of this question asked but I was hoping for some insight into some of the scale and manufacturing considerations that Spyderco makes when they are doing sprints and special editions.

Why do we see so many sprints for folders and very very few for fixed blades? I like collecting the sprints as I suspect many posters here do. And I think it's smart that Spyderco generally focuses the sprints on iconic "flagship" models that are really well developed and refined. Is there a particular reason why some of the more beloved fixed blades never see any sprints? I know that the Mules sort of serve this purpose and I appreciate that they come out at very discounted price points but I can't be the only one who would kill for an enuff in an update steel or a proficient in 4v.

I suspect that folding lines just have a lot greater demand but is there any other reasons? What does Spyderco think about when deciding on sprint candidates? Is popularity the main thing?

As a side note, I was wondering why we haven't seen more 4v in the line up. I missed the mule in that steel when it first came out and only recently picked it up. What was the consensus? Because so far it has become my favorite fixed blade. Another manufacturer has said the steel in difficult to work with. Is this the case even for a company like Spyderco?

Thanks for for your time, sorry for the long question and I apologize if it's a repeat.
vivi

Re: Fixed blade sprints

Post by vivi »

I'd love to see some fixed blade sprints. I'd be down for a Swick 3 or 4, FFG Aqua Salt, Temperance 1 revival, Street Beat or Street Bowie, and of course the Ronin 2!
:unicorn
argyle1812

Post by argyle1812 »

I would love to see some fixed blade sprints. Particularly with some carbon steels.
vivi

Post by vivi »

argyle1812 wrote:Particularly with some carbon steels.
Same. I'd rather see 52100, M4, Cruwear etc. in a fixed blade than folder.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Yes! I've been asking for a k390 southfork and/or sprig for a while.

I would also really like an M4 or 52100 or hap40 or superblue junction
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

Holland wrote:Yes! I've been asking for a k390 southfork and/or sprig for a while.

I would also really like an M4 or 52100 or hap40 or superblue junction
I'd be all over a k390 Wilson.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd love to see a K390 Spyderco fixed blade.
ikaretababy

Post by ikaretababy »

I'd like to see both some carbon steel sprints(m4, 4v, cruwear) and also the enuff and moran lines in an updated corrosion resistant replacement for vg-10.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Iirc, Sal has mentioned in the past that fixed blades just don't sell well for them overall compared to the folders. I think sales is most of the answer. There's probably still a chance though if enough people get behind an idea.

There's always the Mules too, each run is like a sprint, they just need a little tlc. :)
:spyder:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Maxamet Sprig! Or K390.

I'd also love to see a Southfork in one of those.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The one past fixed blade model I want to see return more than any other model is the original, 2004 era, TEMPERANCE 1 model. To me that knife blade design and handle design on that model were truly letter perfect. It is still about my favorite fixed blade to use to this very day. It would be so cool if they did an outdoor/Salt version of it in LC200N. Also it was one of the very few Spyderco fixed blades that they offered it in plain edge and Spyderedge both. And I would want to see the Sprint Run also be available in both edge types.

Or they could do the plain edged version in one of the Supersteels and the Spyderedged version in H-1. For me to use the same model for this many years is very unusual because I usually change when something better comes down the line. But this TEMP 1 model is one where they got it absolutely perfect the first go-around.

Spyderco has indeed had some very impressive fixed blades over the years but the TEMP 1 model will always be one of my favorites if not my most favorite. Even in VG-10 that knife is nothing short of perfect.
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

If we are wishing, I would love to see a LC200N or H1 fixed blade (Sprint) with a hawk style blade. While it would probably be for a limited audience, it would be the ultimate boater/fisherman knife IMO.....
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dtoad wrote:If we are wishing, I would love to see a LC200N or H1 fixed blade (Sprint) with a hawk style blade. While it would probably be for a limited audience, it would be the ultimate boater/fisherman knife IMO.....
Oh I would love to see a fixed blade Hawkbill with LC200N steel>> because we are way overdue for a fixed blade Hawkbill. And yes a fixed blade Hawkbill would be a nice fishing blade. Because the Harpy model was originally marketed to the fishing crowd from what I can remember.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ikaretababy wrote:Why do we see so many sprints for folders and very very few for fixed blades?...

...I suspect that folding lines just have a lot greater demand but is there any other reasons?
One reason is there have been roughly six times more Spyderco folder models than fixed blade models.

Another is that a larger percentage of those fixed blades are still in production, and Sprints are generally revivals of models no longer in production.

Another might be that a larger percentage of discontinued fixed blades were collaboration models which require both Spyderco's interest in making a Sprint and the collaborating knifemaker's permission to do so.

And finally as you pointed out, there's greater demand for Spyderco's folders than for their fixed blades.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi ikaretababy, Argyle,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

JD Spydo wrote:
dtoad wrote:If we are wishing, I would love to see a LC200N or H1 fixed blade (Sprint) with a hawk style blade. While it would probably be for a limited audience, it would be the ultimate boater/fisherman knife IMO.....
Oh I would love to see a fixed blade Hawkbill with LC200N steel>> because we are way overdue for a fixed blade Hawkbill. And yes a fixed blade Hawkbill would be a nice fishing blade. Because the Harpy model was originally marketed to the fishing crowd from what I can remember.
JD > Would be cool to see a cross over between that Aqua style handle (which I love) with a larger like 4” edge length H1 Hawkbill. Having a large SE pull cutter like that on board could be used for multiple purposes but most importantly save lives when trouble arrises on the water. I belt a Aqua or Autonomy and pocket a Spyderhawk, every time I'm out on the water. This combined, in a fixed blade would change my life. :D Call it a FB23BADASS….

Something Like this but SE: Aquahawk

Last edited by dtoad on Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Sign me up for a Bill Moran drop point in HAP40, you can even make the handle burnt orange....

David
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Nate wrote:fixed blades just don't sell well for them overall compared to the folders. I think sales is most of the answer.
I'm pretty sure it's the entire answer. I wouldn't be surprised if their fixed blade volume is small enough that the actual production batches aren't much smaller than a PM2 sprint run.

I'm actually surprised by how many fixed blade models there are. Who buys them? I've never seen a fixed blade Spyderco anywhere, not even in a store.
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

zhyla wrote:
Nate wrote:fixed blades just don't sell well for them overall compared to the folders. I think sales is most of the answer.
I'm pretty sure it's the entire answer. I wouldn't be surprised if their fixed blade volume is small enough that the actual production batches aren't much smaller than a PM2 sprint run.

I'm actually surprised by how many fixed blade models there are. Who buys them? I've never seen a fixed blade Spyderco anywhere, not even in a store.
Y'all trying to tell me I'm not getting my HAP40 Bill Moran?

David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

zhyla wrote:I'm actually surprised by how many fixed blade models there are. Who buys them? I've never seen a fixed blade Spyderco anywhere, not even in a store.
I do!

My most often used Spyderco is my Sprig. Followed by my South Fork. Followed by whatever folder I'm EDCIng that day.

My entire set of kitchen knives is also Spyderco (fixed blades) kitchen series.