Sharpmaker Diamond Rods Rusting

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Forcite

Sharpmaker Diamond Rods Rusting

Post by Forcite »

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I tried using both Google and the forum search, but wasn't able to to find any information on this.

Short version
I've noticed rust on the inside of my diamond rods and was wondering:
  1. How you would suggest removing the rust?
  2. How I should be cleaning the rods so as to minimize the risk of rusting?
Long Version
The last time I went to clean my Sharpmaker diamond rods I noticed there was, what appears to be, rust on the inside of the rods. I was pretty surprised by this, since I thought the rods were coated, inside and out, with nickel. Based on that assumption, for the last couple years I've been cleaning them with soap and water and sometimes applying a little water to the rods as I use them.

I tried letting the inside soak in WD40 and then cleaning them with a scrubbing pipe-cleaner, which was only moderately successful. Any thoughts on how I can go about effectively removing the rust?

I was also wondering how I should be cleaning the rods now that I know they can rust. As I mentioned above, I have been cleaning them with soap and water. I normally pat them down and leave them on a dry cloth overnight to dry before I return them to the protective containers they came in.

Any advice you guys and gals have would be greatly appreciated.
Bill1170

Re: Sharpmaker Diamond Rods Rusting

Post by Bill1170 »

Here’s an approach you can take. First fully degrease, clean and dry the hollow interiors. Now stop up one end with a dab of putty and back it up with masking tape. Brace rods vertical with open ends up. Now fill the interiors with thin curing resin like epoxy or polyester and let cure. Now remove tape and plug from what was the bottom, clean well, invert it, and add resin to fill that end fully.
Forcite

Post by Forcite »

Bill1170 wrote:Here’s an approach you can take. First fully degrease, clean and dry the hollow interiors. Now stop up one end with a dab of putty and back it up with masking tape. Brace rods vertical with open ends up. Now fill the interiors with thin curing resin like epoxy or polyester and let cure. Now remove tape and plug from what was the bottom, clean well, invert it, and add resin to fill that end fully.
That is a great idea! Thank you.

So, I assume that by filling the rods with something like an epoxy the rust won't get any worse since there will be no contact with water or oxygen?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Forcite wrote:
Bill1170 wrote:Here’s an approach you can take. First fully degrease, clean and dry the hollow interiors. Now stop up one end with a dab of putty and back it up with masking tape. Brace rods vertical with open ends up. Now fill the interiors with thin curing resin like epoxy or polyester and let cure. Now remove tape and plug from what was the bottom, clean well, invert it, and add resin to fill that end fully.
That is a great idea! Thank you.

So, I assume that by filling the rods with something like an epoxy the rust won't get any worse since there will be no contact with water or oxygen?
Correct. I would personally use WEST System epoxy because I already have it around. You could probably get away with pouring in melted paraffin wax and letting it harden.