USA made models,...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SC_PATRIOT

USA made models,...

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

I'm proud that Spyderco has so many models that are made in the good ole US. Now I love all Spyderco's especially my Seki City and Taiwan models. Makes me proud though that the majority (I believe) are USA made. Just sayin.
zhyla

Re: USA made models,...

Post by zhyla »

I’d love know the real numbers but I’m pretty sure the overseas production dwarfs the Golden factory. Think of all those Dragonfly, Delica, and Endura units coming out of Japan.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I wonder. If you took all of the materials, design, software and machinery used to make a knife in Golden and transported all of that to Japan or, say, Mexico, and kept
producing knives, could you tell the difference?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

MichaelScott wrote:I wonder. If you took all of the materials, design, software and machinery used to make a knife in Golden and transported all of that to Japan or, say, Mexico, and kept
I'm certain that you could tell a difference in Golden Colorado.

David
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

I based those numbers strictly on Ramzars delivered and upcoming post with USA out to the side. Guess I should have indicated models instead of numbers.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Canazes9 wrote:
MichaelScott wrote:I wonder. If you took all of the materials, design, software and machinery used to make a knife in Golden and transported all of that to Japan or, say, Mexico, and kept
Yeah I tend to agree with you that the GOLDEN, CO USA Earth models are at the pinnacle of Spyderco's sterling quality. OH don't get me wrong because I have several Japan made Spyders that I dearly adore as well but my heart gives first place to the Spyders made at the GOLDEN plant.

I couldn't even imagine the C-36 Military model ( which is my current favorite EDC) being made anywhere else other than the good old USA.

To put Spyderco's own craftsmen against those overseas or south of the border I don't think it would even be close. The GOLDEN models are truly the creme-de-le-creme fo the product line IMO.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

SC_PATRIOT wrote:I based those numbers strictly on Ramzars delivered and upcoming post with USA out to the side. Guess I should have indicated models instead of numbers.
Oh, you really meant number of models in production. Someone would have to add that all up to know for sure. I bet it’s easier to do low volume production in Golden since they’re right there.

Personally, I want to see more Chinese models.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

JD Spydo wrote:
Canazes9 wrote:
Yeah I tend to agree with you that the GOLDEN, CO USA Earth models are at the pinnacle of Spyderco's sterling quality. OH don't get me wrong because I have several Japan made Spyders that I dearly adore as well but my heart gives first place to the Spyders made at the GOLDEN plant.

I couldn't even imagine the C-36 Military model ( which is my current favorite EDC) being made anywhere else other than the good old USA.

To put Spyderco's own craftsmen against those overseas or south of the border I don't think it would even be close. The GOLDEN models are truly the creme-de-le-creme fo the product line IMO.
The USA made knives are very nice but Taiwan is more willing to try something difficult and new. Nirvana for instance. Golden has proven their skills with that last anniversary knife. But Taiwan is in a whole different level.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

JD Spydo wrote:Yeah I tend to agree with you that the GOLDEN, CO USA Earth models are at the pinnacle of Spyderco's sterling quality. OH don't get me wrong because I have several Japan made Spyders that I dearly adore as well but my heart gives first place to the Spyders made at the GOLDEN plant.

My favorites are mostly Golden models (especially the Manix 2) and given the popularity of the Manix 2, PM2 and Military, I think Golden probably produces a lot of knives.

But honestly, I think that Taichung has the best fit and finish--and I own, carry and love, Spydies from Maniago, Seki, Taichung and Golden.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TomAiello wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:Yeah I tend to agree with you that the GOLDEN, CO USA Earth models are at the pinnacle of Spyderco's sterling quality. OH don't get me wrong because I have several Japan made Spyders that I dearly adore as well but my heart gives first place to the Spyders made at the GOLDEN plant.

My favorites are mostly Golden models (especially the Manix 2) and given the popularity of the Manix 2, PM2 and Military, I think Golden probably produces a lot of knives.

But honestly, I think that Taichung has the best fit and finish--and I own, carry and love, Spydies from Maniago, Seki, Taichung and Golden.
I've only owned a couple of the Taiwan made Spyders and frankly I didn't think they were much different that the Japan made models. My C-60 Ayoob Sprint ( Japan made) from early in the decade is so high quality it could actually compete with the GOLDEN made models IMO. But I'll sure keep my eyes out for other Spyders from other parts of the globe.

But no one has yet provided me with an EDC blade that even approaches my M390 C-36 Military model ( GOLDEN made). It's going to take a real super high quality barn burner of a knife to unseat it for my main EDC slot.

I would love to see a C-60 Ayoob or a Szabo Folder made at the GOLDEN plant of super high quality materials. That would be a dream come true for sure.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Having pride in Spyderco's products, whether American or international, is something that should be reserved for the Glessers and their crew, I do believe.

And they have much to be proud of, IMHO.

But I've had nothing to do with these products, except to buy and enjoy them. Of that, I'm just super-glad.

I suppose I could be proud that I've made good choices, but why self-congratulate when it's almost impossible to go wrong with your choice?

If pride attaches to "buy American", I wonder what an American Spyderco would be today without having done "made in Japan" (then elsewhere) in such a big way.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SF Native wrote: The USA made knives are very nice but Taiwan is more willing to try something difficult and new. Nirvana for instance. Golden has proven their skills with that last anniversary knife. But Taiwan is in a whole different level.
I am not sure that we have enough information to say anything like this. Without of doubts, Nirvana is very complicated to make product, but we do not know, who design and develop manufacturing process. Were these Taichang people or people from Golden? You said that Golden has proven their skills with anniversary knife, but I do not think that it is easier to make CF Fluted or linerless G10 model.
Still, most likely best sellers: delica and Endura are made in Japan.
But I love my Natives more :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
the Southerner

Post by the Southerner »

SC_PATRIOT wrote:I'm proud that Spyderco has so many models that are made in the good ole US. Now I love all Spyderco's especially my Seki City and Taiwan models. Makes me proud though that the majority (I believe) are USA made. Just sayin.
3 of the 4 Spyderco plants exist outside of the United States, and their sales in Chinese made knives dwarf the expensive US models, probably even more so now with the price hike, and that's not even considering the Byrd line.
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

the Southerner wrote:
SC_PATRIOT wrote:I'm proud that Spyderco has so many models that are made in the good ole US. Now I love all Spyderco's especially my Seki City and Taiwan models. Makes me proud though that the majority (I believe) are USA made. Just sayin.
3 of the 4 Spyderco plants exist outside of the United States, and their sales in Chinese made knives dwarf the expensive US models, probably even more so now with the price hike, and that's not even considering the Byrd line.
Please provide links to sales/production claims.

Thanks,

David
the Southerner

Post by the Southerner »

Canazes9 wrote:
the Southerner wrote:

Thanks,

David
>show me the money

Because $100 dollar knives sell more than $40 dollar knives, obviously, because America, and the S110V Military sells at Walmart. I guess being a triggered shill will do that to you. You're going to have to reach out to Sal for an exact drill down in sales.
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

the Southerner wrote:
Canazes9 wrote:
the Southerner wrote:

Thanks,

David
>show me the money

Because $100 dollar knives sell more than $40 dollar knives, obviously, because America, and the S110V Military sells at Walmart. I guess being a triggered shill will do that to you. You're going to have to reach out to Sal for an exact drill down in sales.
Soooo.....

You made it up?

?????

David
the Southerner

Post by the Southerner »

Canazes9 wrote:
Soooo.....

You made it up?

?????

David
No, it is possible for humans to accurately infer conclusions based on predictable patterns. Historically, cheaper items always outsell more expensive ones. The Spyderco Manix has 435 reviews on Amazon across 3 different Manix models. The Tenacious alone has 1,431 reviews, or 229% more. You can infer then that the Chinese knife must sell more than the American one.

You deny this fact of human experience outright because, as I said, you're a triggered shill.
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

the Southerner wrote:
Canazes9 wrote:
Soooo.....

You made it up?

?????

David
No, it is possible for humans to accurately infer conclusions based on predictable patterns. Historically, cheaper items always outsell more expensive ones. The Spyderco Manix has 435 reviews on Amazon across 3 different Manix models. The Tenacious alone has 1,431 reviews, or 229% more. You can infer then that the Chinese knife must sell more than the American one.

You deny this fact of human experience outright because, as I said, you're a triggered shill.
Sooooo you outright lied and have zero proof to back up your claims?

Reviews = purchases?

Fascinating.

David
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

Southerner- If you are making inferences about sales based off of amazon reviews, wouldn't it also be fair to infer that people would be less likely to buy better models from amazon, and more likely to buy from trusted retailers therefore skewing your conclusion to bias your argument?
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

IMO Spyderco's best knives are made in Golden :spyder:
Yojimbo, P'kal, Military, PM2, Para3, Native, Manix...
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal