Knife Addiction

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cheddarnut

Re: Knife Addiction

Post by Cheddarnut »

It seems i have a shopping addiction, knives are just a convenient known quantity that can be justified purchasing using self lies. Thank you for the links, i hope one day to never come back here, for as much as i think i enjoy "learning" about knives I'm really just getting high. Gross.
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Cheddarnut wrote:It seems i have a shopping addiction, knives are just a convenient known quantity that can be justified purchasing using self lies. Thank you for the links, i hope one day to never come back here, for as much as i think i enjoy "learning" about knives I'm really just getting high. Gross.

:D :D :D :D dead on and funny stuff!!!
ferider

Post by ferider »

Hi, my name is Roland and it's been 3 days since I bought my last knife .... :)

It's related to OCD ... see https://www.elementsbehavioralhealth.co ... -addiction

"Both hoarding and addiction often appear in conjunction with other mental health conditions. Hoarding is most frequently connected to obsessive compulsive disorder....
So while hoarding can look very much like addiction there are a couple of key differences. The first difference being that there is no physiological dependence involved in hoarding. While the person may feel intense anxiety about discarding possessions, they will not have a biologically based response. Secondly, addiction is reinforced positively through substance use while hoarding is reinforced negatively by avoidance. The differences are not great, but they do exist."

I'm not worried though, it's a fairly cheap "hobby". If I were - say - into Shirogorov knives, it would be a bigger issue :) Anybody here likes cameras and lenses, and frequents a "photography" forum ? Just saying. How about wine ? Also, every morning on my commute I drive by a place with at least 6 different Testarossas, in different colors, etc. Another guy here has >= 14 VW Porsches in various states of disrepair.

If you don't hurt anybody, don't worry. It's good for the economy :)

Roland.
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

There is a 12 step program "Flippers Anonymous".
Calgary on the Bow
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Interesting thread. For me, it seems like I’m always on the hunt for the one knife that will make the others unnecessary. The Chaparral is pretty good—I see no reason to have another knife ...

with a back lock. :)