More Urban Sprints Please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Paracelsus

More Urban Sprints Please

Post by Paracelsus »

I knew I would like the Urban K390, but it wasn't a must-have knife for me. I already have a UKPK drop-point, how much better could it be?
So I was shocked to find that all of my "better" knives were now living in a drawer, while the Urban handled every daily task with aplomb.

I've never owned a Spyderco Sprint before, and I never buy knives based solely on the steel.
Nor had I considered owning several iterations of the same knife with different alloys. Until now, I guess.

This knife performs well above its modest size and price (the K390 only cost $10 more than the standard Urban or UKPK, <20%).
It absolutely kills the UKPK, my closest basis for comparison, despite the decrease in blade length.
I attribute this improved performance mainly to two factors:

The steel, and
The blade grind.

The Urban K390 has the thinnest edge of any Spyderco, or really any modern production knife I own.
A thin edge really allows modern, high-hardness steels to show their potential (while a thicker grind largely negates their advantage in my opinion).

I believe that the Urban platform would make an excellent test-bed for comparison of high-end steels, kind of like a mini folding Mule.
-The thin edge accentuates the advantages of high-hardness steels.
-The blade is small, so we don't need much steel.
-The construction is simple, and the FRN molds exist, keeping the price down.
-Sal's design is so brilliantly effective that I would carry one with a blade of hard dry salami if it was sliced thin enough.

So, if Maniago can manage to keep a consistently thin grind, and can handle the heat-treat protocols for a range of steels,
this would allow Spyderco enthusiasts who may shy away from the premium on many higher-end sprints to get their hands on a great knife in new, exciting flavors, and hopefully provide for a consistent, relatively inexpensive basis of comparison between sprint steels.
Of course this is contingent upon how much work the Maniago factory can handle, but I say keep 'em busy.
One Urban sprint a year would be plenty, thank you.

What steel would you like to see? What FRN color?
I'll take CTS-XHP in Diamine Teal, or LC200N in Pilot-Iroshizuku Yama Budo for starters.
Urban Palladium 3.jpg
Lbblue

Re: More Urban Sprints Please

Post by Lbblue »

XHP in any color would be a dream come true for me, although orange is my fav and teal sounds nice.
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

I'm sniffin what you're stepping in ;) idk WHAT the **** Pilot-Iroshizuku Yama Budo is, but I'd love a non stainless sprint. I don't have an urban yet, but as an edc knife it is pretty much ideal. I love my manix s110v lw, but in most situations it seems to be overkill and I tend to use my ladybug instead. I could see myself utilizing a chaparell or delica, but the simplicity and cost effetivness of the urban would be ideal for fancy sprints, as you have eluded. Especially with the scale design, it would be a great platform for some never before used colors. Thanks for making this post.
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

Also, non clad super blue, maybe a sky blue or straw colored frn.
Last edited by TriggerThumb on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Given how much I like my K390 urban, I'm down for more sprints!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

I think this came up once before, and I remember everyone agreeing that the Urban would be the perfect folding Mule Team. The little K390 was way, way better than I ever could have imagined. Now I think about how great an LC200N, A11, etc.. Urban would be.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Folding mule team would be fantastic. And the Urban would be a great platform for it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would LOVE to have more steel choices in the Urban LW. However, I would like to keep going with the idea set by the K390 and that is to give us new steels to try in this small knife. This is one of my two favorite knives for pocket daily carry and if push came to shove I would probably choose this knife over the other one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
timlara

Post by timlara »

I completely agree with you, Paracelsus. I was about to make basically the exact same post as yours, only that I think I slightly favor the UKPK over the Urban as I just kind of like the shape and size of it a little more, but they are very close for me and I could be perfectly happy with either one.

I have actually sold off a crazy number of knives out of my collection since I got my UKPK because I've found that it is all the knife I really need and I reach for it more often than anything else. It's such a good design that I've actually sort of stopped caring about "fancier" knives and just find myself coming back to the UKPK/Urban for their simplicity and light weight. It's like everything that I don't really need in a knife was taken away until just the super clean and functional basics were left. It really is genius.

I too would very much like to see either platform get more of the sprint run love. LC200N would be fantastic and I would pre-order it right this second if I had a button to click.
Tim
elena86

Post by elena86 »

SRS15 or AEB-L please ! K390 Urban is the best value folder Spyderco released...ever. It’s my all time favorite city carry, compact, super light and the ergos are perfect for my hand. One of Sal’s best designs IMO. From time to time I grab my N690Co Urban which has a stronger split spring.Way stronger and that amount of Cobalt ads something magic to that steel. It’s a dream to sharpen and to maintain. LOVE it !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Hmm, Lc200n urban? Yes please... And aeb-l? Or Rwl 34? Around the same price point as the k390 version and I would seriously start a collection.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Northglenn500 wrote:I think this came up once before, and I remember everyone agreeing that the Urban would be the perfect folding Mule Team. The little K390 was way, way better than I ever could have imagined. Now I think about how great an LC200N, A11, etc.. Urban would be.
There was another thread not too long ago asking primarily for an M390 sprint. Makes a lot of sense for a follow-up since it's another Bohler-Uddeholm steel. It seems like the K390 sprint surprised to the upside on popularity, so hopefully future Urban sprints are already being discussed

Who wouldn't want a set of Urban sprints in K390 and M390? I would as I don't have any M390 or it's equivalents yet. Still kind of kicking myself for missing the Elmax Urban exclusive for British Blades too. The Urban looks really good in BRG.
:spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Paracelsus, Lbblue,

Welcome to our forum.

I'll watch the thread. My preference would be to use European steels as shipping costs keep the price more reasonable.

sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Oooooo, that would leave M390 on the table for sure...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

A rerun in Elmax for those of us who didn't have the chance to get one from British Blades would be great :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

curlyhairedboy wrote:Oooooo, that would leave M390 on the table for sure...
And rwl 34.
Ukpk is made in USA for other steels.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

M390 makes a lot of sense for this, if it's european steel that will make it happen.

Elmax too.

Crazy idea, but you could make a Vanax one as well. I bet that would sell out pretty quick, with Vanax showing up as a new "super stainless steel" option.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Paracelsus wrote: I'll take CTS-XHP in Diamine Teal, or LC200N in Pilot-Iroshizuku Yama Budo for starters.
Yes and yes!
TriggerThumb wrote:Also, non clad super blue, maybe a sky blue or straw colored frn.
+1

I love the idea of "Mule Team" folder platforms with Urban for Euro steels and UKPK (ironic) for US steels. My preference is the UKPK but I love my Urban and I think it would be a fantastic platform for testing new steels. CPM 4V UKPK anyone?
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote: K390 Urban is the best value folder Spyderco released...ever. It’s my all time favorite city carry, compact, super light and the ergos are perfect for my hand. One of Sal’s best designs IMO. From time to time I grab my N690Co Urban which has a stronger split spring.Way stronger and that amount of Cobalt ads something magic to that steel. It’s a dream to sharpen and to maintain. LOVE it !
I am with you 100%.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Elmax!!!

M390 would be great, also.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050