Collector number?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sjucaveman

Collector number?

Post by Sjucaveman »

I've seen some of the new dlc shaman with collector numbers, I don't know much about them. Do they make a knife more valuable?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Evil D

Re: Collector number?

Post by Evil D »

Sjucaveman wrote:I've seen some of the new dlc shaman with collector numbers, I don't know much about them. Do they make a knife more valuable?
Probably only to the person who has that collector's club number. Personally I can't stand how those numbers look.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Thanks David.
My spyderco addiction started only about 3 months ago and, while I've acquired many, I am still a newb in many ways. Thanks for your time.
Adam
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Personally i don't really care (or mind) a CC numbered knife. I wouldn't pay a cent more for a numbered knife, contrary to what some people seem to believe (That they're "serialized")
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I just picked up the dlc shaman 156v. The number isn't special to me but it's my first spyderco with a collector number so that's cool in a way.
Adam
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Some think the number detracts from the knife's appearance. Some think it adds a cachet of exclusivity. Some don't care one way or the other. Personally, I think the one "value" the number has is that it would make identification and recovery easier if the knife was ever stolen. There may be 1,000, or 50,000, out there just like it in every other regard, but only that one knife will have that particular number.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It could also serve as a way to hopefully know you have a legit non counterfeit knife, at least I don't think they're copying CC numbers yet.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Thanks, I just didn't know if that was a normal format for the number. I think three reasons you've come up with could certainly be an upside to an otherwise unsightly/ unnecessary marking.
Adam
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I am not in the collector's club, thus I prefer to avoid these models on the secondary market because I share David's opinion that it is unsightly. I would however feel differently if the number was specific to me and my knives.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

xceptnl wrote:I am not in the collector's club, thus I prefer to avoid these models on the secondary market because I share David's opinion that it is unsightly. I would however feel differently if the number was specific to me and my knives.
:D I got a really good deal on a SB Delica with a collectors number on it :D
I agree it's not the most aesthetic to have a number on the blade, but I really wanted a SB Delica, and it's an edc not a safe queen, so I'm happy to have it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
xceptnl wrote:I am not in the collector's club, thus I prefer to avoid these models on the secondary market because I share David's opinion that it is unsightly. I would however feel differently if the number was specific to me and my knives.
:D I got a really good deal on a SB Delica with a collectors number on it :D
I agree it's not the most aesthetic to have a number on the blade, but I really wanted a SB Delica, and it's an edc not a safe queen, so I'm happy to have it.
I admit to having made decisions like this in the past. If i must have the knife, it could be painted in neon pink. I can always regrind if i grow tired of the livery
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I happen to have about a dozen Spydercos with collector number 16 on them and a few others as well. I don't really care about the aesthetic of numbers one way or the other.
I have wondered though... if maybe the collector numbered models get a little extra care and attention in QC.? I'm not saying they do or they don't, but I have noticed that I have never purchased a Spyderco with a collector number that was less than perfect. Maybe just good luck and pure coincidence.? Indeed I must admit, I've bought over 100 Spydercos and the vast majority of them have been perfect too. Whether there's anything to my hunch or not, due to the fact that 100% of my collector numbered knives are perfect I will not hesitate to buy another one if faced with that option.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.