Jot Singh Khalsa Ad?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Jot Singh Khalsa Ad?

Post by jdw »

I have only read about the promo ad with Jot flying over NYC on a flying carpet. I have looked online for a while and I can't find an image of it anywhere. Long story short, does anyone out there have an image of it to share? Does anyone know if there are hard copies for sale anywhere? I love the knife, I have read a little about the man, and it just sounds like a brilliant promo. Thanks all.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
mattman

Re: Jot Singh Khalsa Ad?

Post by mattman »

I think The Deacon has posted it before...

Might be in his site?
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Chris :spyder:
jdw

Post by jdw »

That is great! Thank you!!
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Just did a little reading up myself! What a cool knife and designer!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I have a set of two posters that apparently were distributed to knife dealers to display. They are both different than that classic Jot Singh Khalsa ad which "anagarika" just displayed that was in several of the popular knife magazines of that era. One of the Jot Singh Khalsa Posters I have is with him riding a magic carpet (not the knife) around the New York City skyline with the twin towers in the backdrop. Oddly enough I won them on a fleabay auction about the time I joined this forum ( 2004). I've kept them in storage and haven't even looked at them in months.

But the one that "anagarika" displayed was the ad you saw in the popular knife magazines. Since I obtained these two posters I haven't seen duplicates of them since. But I haven't seen one of those 1997 Spyderco dealer's catalogs in years either ( the very first full blown Spyderco dealer's catalog to my knowledge).

There is so much Spyder-memorabilia out there. The "All God's Critters" picture was used in several Spyderco ads>> They even did a Spyderco T-Shirt with that add>> I know I own one. Also the "All God's Critters" pic was also on that first dealer's catalog as well. I had not even thought of that poster in quite some time. Interesting that you all would bring it up. I mention the "All God's Critters" pic because it was in about the same era as the Khalsa poster. I've actually wondered what Mr. Khalsa might be up to these days? >> and if him and Spyderco ever will do another model?
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

anagarika wrote:Try this:
http://imgur.com/qy0eQSA

David
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Canazes9 wrote:
http://imgur.com/qy0eQSA

David

hahah that looks so non-PC nowadays :D
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

JD Spydo wrote:I have a set of two posters that apparently were distributed to knife dealers to display. They are both different than that classic Jot Singh Khalsa ad which "anagarika" just displayed that was in several of the popular knife magazines of that era. One of the Jot Singh Khalsa Posters I have is with him riding a magic carpet (not the knife) around the New York City skyline with the twin towers in the backdrop. Oddly enough I won them on a fleabay auction about the time I joined this forum ( 2004). I've kept them in storage and haven't even looked at them in months.

But the one that "anagarika" displayed was the ad you saw in the popular knife magazines. Since I obtained these two posters I haven't seen duplicates of them since. But I haven't seen one of those 1997 Spyderco dealer's catalogs in years either ( the very first full blown Spyderco dealer's catalog to my knowledge).

There is so much Spyder-memorabilia out there. The "All God's Critters" picture was used in several Spyderco ads>> They even did a Spyderco T-Shirt with that add>> I know I own one. Also the "All God's Critters" pic was also on that first dealer's catalog as well. I had not even thought of that poster in quite some time. Interesting that you all would bring it up. I mention the "All God's Critters" pic because it was in about the same era as the Khalsa poster. I've actually wondered what Mr. Khalsa might be up to these days? >> and if him and Spyderco ever will do another model?
Making knives and drinking kombucha. I met him at BLADE this year.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I had both of those C-40 Khalsa models ( PE & SE) and they were kind of awkward to carry>> but I did sort of like the Spyderedged version because the handle configuration gave you good leverage when using it. I didn't even go for the Sprint Run Khalsa at all.

But I do distinctly remember the advertising blitz they had in all the major knife publications. There aren't too many other Spyderco models that I remember them doing that much advertising with. Except maybe the POLICE, DELICA & ENDURA.

I used to see Jot Singh Khalsa himself at several knife shows in the past but haven't heard of him in quite a while. It is interesting to run across these old Spyders and to hear their story.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Jot still does the Blade Show, although he only brings a small number of custom knives. His emphasis at the show is mostly on his business, Khalsa Kirpans.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

In addition to attending BLADE to showcase his knives, he also instructs a yoga class of some sort.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Canazes9 wrote:
https://imgur.com/qy0eQSA

David
Thanks David! My original find was the i.imgur link. But I couldn’t figure out if it works with img tag, and resorting to just copy the url. :o

@jdw,
Sorry, didn’t read carefully you mentioned ‘carpet’. Hopefully JD can take a pic of his ;) (hint)
Chris :spyder: