? for Spyderco regarding flipper design

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Canazes9

Re: ? for Spyderco regarding flipper design

Post by Canazes9 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Based on what I've seen over the last 30 years here in California, not only will autos remain illegal here, they may ban flippers.

???

http://www.knifeup.com/california-knife ... isong-law/

Is this not accurate?

David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Canazes9 wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:Based on what I've seen over the last 30 years here in California, not only will autos remain illegal here, they may ban flippers.

???

Is this not accurate?

David
That is accurate. Though misleading. Currently as far as normal folding knives go, California has little restrictions on them. Fixed blades aren't a problem to open carry in the vast expanse of rural California, in a city it is less of an option (it is definitely not a social norm here to open carry a knife in a city). And it is illegal to conceal a fixed blade of any size. As for switch blades and balisongs (over 2 inches) those are legal to keep at home only.

21510. Every person who does any of the following with a switchblade knife having a blade two or more inches in length is guilty of a misdemeanor: (a) Possesses the knife in the passenger’s or driver’s area of any motor vehicle in any public place or place open to the public. (b) Carries the knife upon the person. (c) Sells, offers for sale, exposes for sale, loans, transfers, or gives the knife to any other person.

Can't carry automatics in a car, or any public space, or on your person.

As for why I say I expect them to ban flippers... I don't want to get too political, but politicians here have long made their careers on promises to ban guns and other 'scarry' weapons. We have about exhausted restrictions for guns, background checks for bullets begin here soon (no joke). So now that it's increasingly hard for politicians to find new gun control measures to run a campaign on, I expect they will follow New York and Canadas lead and begin restricting 'gravity knives', flippers, and one handed openers. Maybe that's a cynical view, I hope I'm wrong.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Canazes9 wrote:

???

Is this not accurate?

David
That is accurate. Though misleading. Currently as far as normal folding knives go, California has little restrictions on them. Fixed blades aren't a problem to open carry in the vast expanse of rural California, in a city it is less of an option (it is definitely not a social norm here to open carry a knife in a city). And it is illegal to conceal a fixed blade of any size. As for switch blades and balisongs (over 2 inches) those are legal to keep at home only.

21510. Every person who does any of the following with a switchblade knife having a blade two or more inches in length is guilty of a misdemeanor: (a) Possesses the knife in the passenger’s or driver’s area of any motor vehicle in any public place or place open to the public. (b) Carries the knife upon the person. (c) Sells, offers for sale, exposes for sale, loans, transfers, or gives the knife to any other person.

Can't carry automatics in a car, or any public space, or on your person.

As for why I say I expect them to ban flippers... I don't want to get too political, but politicians here have long made their careers on promises to ban guns and other 'scarry' weapons. We have about exhausted restrictions for guns, background checks for bullets begin here soon (no joke). So now that it's increasingly hard for politicians to find new gun control measures to run a campaign on, I expect they will follow New York and Canadas lead and begin restricting 'gravity knives', flippers, and one handed openers. Maybe that's a cynical view, I hope I'm wrong.
Sorry to hear of your frustrations - there's seemingly a trade off for everything. We have very loose gun/knife laws, but our education system is in the toilet, gov corruption out of control yada yada yada....

Regards,

David
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

sal wrote:At it's current rate of development, it looks like Autos might be legal in the next few year. I wonder what that will do to flippers? Autos are now legal in Colorado, though still against Federal law.

We're working on a couple.

sal

Back on topic....

I've had a chance to think about it some more. Absolutely, if autos become legal in my area, I will want to purchase a high quality auto (or 3 or 4...). But even if I knew Auto's would be legal in my area tomorrow, I would still be trying to purchase a CQI GB Advocate and an Amalgam.

While the bushing/phosphorbronze washer question was serious - I would buy a modern flipper from Spyderco using these systems, from what I've seen, the new CQI upgrades should address any previous concerns with Spyderco flippers real or imagined.

David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

If I'm pleasantly surprised and auto's are eventually legal here, I'd pick one up, but what I really want is a Janisong :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Canazes9 wrote:Why hasn't Spyderco made any flippers with the standard bushing pivot?
They made one already. It was also a backlock.