What two years of abuse on a PM2 by a stone mason looks like...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: What two years of abuse on a PM2 by a stone mason looks like...

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:That settles it, the tip is the weak part. :P

Still waiting for a sprint of almost anything with a non-distal taper.
You and me both especially wharnies, distal taper is just not necessary. The Sliverax doesn't appear to have any or if it does it's very subtle. I'd trade any knife I own for a Sliverax in M4.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

This is way you can't let the internet design all of your knives. Real people, with real uses for their knives, won't always need the 2mm FFG knives the internet begs for.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Looks good. The Pacific Salt is one of the best for this type of hard use to my idea. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tonijedi wrote:This is way you can't let the internet design all of your knives. Real people, with real uses for their knives, won't always need the 2mm FFG knives the internet begs for.

That's funny I feel like it's the other way around, everyone wants a 1/4 inch bar of steel with a bevel ground into it. Don't get me wrong I actually like the concept of a tank folder but there's definitely a shortage of knives that are good for actual cutting tasks and not for breaching doors. I like knives like Strider and Henderer but they just aren't as good for cutting things. Spyderco do a good job finding a middle ground, as do CRK.
~David
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Evil D wrote:
tonijedi wrote:This is way you can't let the internet design all of your knives. Real people, with real uses for their knives, won't always need the 2mm FFG knives the internet begs for.

That's funny I feel like it's the other way around, everyone wants a 1/4 inch bar of steel with a bevel ground into it. Don't get me wrong I actually like the concept of a tank folder but there's definitely a shortage of knives that are good for actual cutting tasks and not for breaching doors. I like knives like Strider and Henderer but they just aren't as good for cutting things. Spyderco do a good job finding a middle ground, as do CRK.
That's also true. Folding pry bar is the opposite side of the spectrum and also very requested by the internet masses :D
Joris Mo wrote:Looks good. The Pacific Salt is one of the best for this type of hard use to my idea. :)
I agree, and so it is the Salt 2.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:

CRK makes fantastic knives.

I have tested a few of them, ZAAN and Seb 25 and they are VERY strong and take a lot of hard use, but are still thin enough for actually cut things and do it well.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

FFG is plenty sturdy, but if I had to subject a folder to some insane abuse, I'd trust the Southard. Deep hollow grind for cutting, but the spine goes full 4mm thickness for most of the blade length.

Of course then there's the Techno, which I'm pretty sure will survive the end of our species.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Donut wrote:That settles it, the tip is the weak part. :P

Still waiting for a sprint of almost anything with a non-distal taper.
Techno?
Atlantic Salt ;)
Chris :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

TriggerThumb wrote:I'm constantly craving pics of spydies used and abused. Thanks for scratching that itch, very cool.
yep, photos like this are so much more interesting than brand new knives.

Thabks fOr sharing OP!
:unicorn
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

I'll say up front, this thing has been through **** and back. Fell on stones, sliced into metal accidentally, etc etc. I haven't performed any maintenance on it since I got the m390 pm2 a while back but it saw daily HARD use, and with some proper sharpening it would keep going again no problem. It started with tapering the tip but over time it mainly saw touch-ups and sharpening to a working edge again. Got the S110V pm2 at launch and its been a trusted ally. Just wish I didn't neglect proper maintenance halfway through. Been using my lw manix 2 S110V instead accompanied by either the m390 pm2 or hap40 caly 3.

Action is still superb with zero play, by the way. Insane quality.
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

dodgie02 wrote:I'll say up front, this thing has been through **** and back. Fell on stones, sliced into metal accidentally, etc etc. I haven't performed any maintenance on it since I got the m390 pm2 a while back but it saw daily HARD use, and with some proper sharpening it would keep going again no problem. It started with tapering the tip but over time it mainly saw touch-ups and sharpening to a working edge again. Got the S110V pm2 at launch and its been a trusted ally. Just wish I didn't neglect proper maintenance halfway through. Been using my lw manix 2 S110V instead accompanied by either the m390 pm2 or hap40 caly 3.

Nice! That must have been quite an adventure sharpening s110v down that far. I got my manix a couple months ago, and I still haven't needed to sharpen it! It's almost boring haha.
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

TriggerThumb wrote:
dodgie02 wrote:I'll say up front, this thing has been through **** and back. Fell on stones, sliced into metal accidentally, etc etc. I haven't performed any maintenance on it since I got the m390 pm2 a while back but it saw daily HARD use, and with some proper sharpening it would keep going again no problem. It started with tapering the tip but over time it mainly saw touch-ups and sharpening to a working edge again. Got the S110V pm2 at launch and its been a trusted ally. Just wish I didn't neglect proper maintenance halfway through. Been using my lw manix 2 S110V instead accompanied by either the m390 pm2 or hap40 caly 3.

Nice! That must have been quite an adventure sharpening s110v down that far. I got my manix a couple months ago, and I still haven't needed to sharpen it! It's almost boring haha.
It was, still love it to bits and it's been a real extention to my hand. Incidentally, I've been cutting the manix some slack and even after times of hard use I've only had to take it over diamonds, fine back bevel on the 30 degrees setting, microbevel with uf and its as sharp as the day I got it. S110V has a bit of a learning curve but once you got it down you have a trusted friend for many many years to come!
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Just don't let the S110v dull to where you're needing to do any amount of stock removal, right?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wanimator wrote:Just don't let the S110v dull to where you're needing to do any amount of stock removal, right?

Daily touch ups help but for me I lose the most steel to fixing edge damage.
~David
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

Evil D wrote:
Wanimator wrote:Just don't let the S110v dull to where you're needing to do any amount of stock removal, right?

Daily touch ups help but for me I lose the most steel to fixing edge damage.
Tell me about it. Though luckily most spydies have deep bevels compared to other knives. Got a 940-2 not too long ago. Thing went basically unused save for light work. Got a chip in the belly up front, god knows how, an annoying one on an annoying place. On a native or manix, pm2 and most of my life spydies (save for hap40) I would have gotten it out no problem by playing around with diamonds on 30°, and set a new edge.

Not so with the that **** 940. Low bevel. Annoying to sharpen from a chip due to the long blade which leaves little room to set an entire new bevel a tad higher because of its slim design, sharpening the edge proved to be a joke because of the steep bevel, I'd still take up the edge, and after getting the chip out too little bevel remained anyway to get smooth slicing performance so I ended up evenly grinding up the belly's edge and use a diamond stone to put a bit steeper bevel just on the edge to maintain the blades original quality form and functionality.

Had to take a chip out of a manic 2 S110V too tonight, which was done in 15 min in contrast with no problem.

Bloody drama, why such a steep bevel, still chipping, on a blade like that for that price? No rant on the 940 by the way, perhaps with a better steel I'd have enjoyed it better. For however long before, it was a great blade but this was quite annoying. Gonna give it a good work over on my apex later.

Reprofiling a new knife at this price point soo soon is double annoying haha.
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

That speaks for its self. I have another s110v manix, manix lw and native in S110V. Some years old, all as sharp as a razor, no damage to shape or anything.

Thing is, daily touch-ups don't really help with chipping or a tip with has back luck. I was working a quite demanding though diverse job, the pm2 S110V was the only Knive I trusted to bring with me because no matter what it needs to do, it does, and reliably. (even like this sharpening was only needed once per 2 to 3 weeks, never losing the working edge which can be brought back to paper cutting sharpness on diamonds if I require a toothy edge, ceramics fine and uf if otherwise.

S110V is amazing. Blade dropped 2.5m once onto stone, no damage, save for a scratch here or there (I care not for the needle tip in my work, and even a small taper made it crazy robust).

Anyway, I got it with hard use in mind it exceeded all expectations, will probably buy a new one someday. Then along with a m390 and cruwear pm2 I have my holy trinity of paramilitary 2 editions! It's been a reoccurring though haha
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

This is the answer to the question, "what is a working edge?". Bravo.