Question about late 70's early 80's items?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Candyman

Question about late 70's early 80's items?

Post by Candyman »

I have purchased 2 items and had a couple questions about the items if anyone could possibly help. First is a 2 screw right handed worker. It has got engravings on it and I was wondering if any type of engravings were done at the factory on these or was it done aftermarket. Second is model #103 crock sticks. When were these sold? I don't see any mention of them on Spydiewicki so I was having trouble dating. Thanks for any help you can give.
Think for yourself
TomAiello

Re: Question about late 70's early 80's items?

Post by TomAiello »

That Crock stick looks like a pre-sharpmaker. I wonder if that's the first Spyderco sharpener?

Hopefully Sal will be along shortly with real answers.

Amazing find!
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

Did Lansky buy the idea from Spyderco? Coz they also have a crock stick if I haven't mistaken
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

soundshaman wrote:Did Lansky buy the idea from Spyderco? Coz they also have a crock stick if I haven't mistaken
IIRC, the crock stick sharpener was invented by a gentleman named Louis Graves and Spyderco licensed it from him.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

soundshaman wrote:Did Lansky buy the idea from Spyderco? Coz they also have a crock stick if I haven't mistaken
Not too sure but I do know that Spyderco sold the rights to the Fold-A-Vee in 1980 to Lansky.

Rich (Candyman)
Think for yourself
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

The Deacon wrote:
IIRC, the crock stick sharpener was invented by a gentleman named Louis Graves and Spyderco licensed it from him.
Good call Deacon!

Think for yourself
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Richie,

The Clipit is an original first run Worker. I981.

The comments about Louis Graves and the Crock Stick are correct.

sal
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

sal wrote:Hi Richie,

The Clipit is an original first run Worker. I981.

The comments about Louis Graves and the Crock Stick are correct.

sal
Thanks Sal! Was the engraving on the Worker done by you guys?

Rich
Think for yourself
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

Richierich252000 wrote:I have purchased 2 items and had a couple questions about the items if anyone could possibly help. First is a 2 screw right handed worker. It has got engravings on it and I was wondering if any type of engravings were done at the factory on these or was it done aftermarket. Second is model #103 crock sticks. When were these sold? I don't see any mention of them on Spydiewicki so I was having trouble dating. Thanks for any help you can give.
Hi Rich,

This is essentially what you have. I believe the serial number is original; however, I do not remember if the engraving is original. (I have a number of very early folders with serial numbers sans engraving, and early engraved folders with no serial numbers, but not both.) Awesome score on both pieces!

Best,

H2
He who walks in the company of fools suffers a long way; company with fools, like an enemy, is always painful; company with the wise is pleasure, like meeting with kinsfolk. Therefore, one ought to follow the wise, the intelligent, the learned, the much enduring, the dutiful, the elect; one ought to follow a good and wise man as the moon follows the path of the stars.

--Buddha, The Dhammapada, Chapter XV, Verses 207-208.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

Richierich252000 wrote:
Not too sure but I do know that Spyderco sold the rights to the Fold-A-Vee in 1980 to Lansky.

Rich (Candyman)
I don't know about a 1980 sale to Lansky, as I have a mid-80's Spyderco catalog with the "Fold-A-V" (#105M) Lexan Knife Sharpener with two grey rods (5" x 1/4") with a leather pouch for $15.95 retail.

YMMV.

Cheers,

HH
He who walks in the company of fools suffers a long way; company with fools, like an enemy, is always painful; company with the wise is pleasure, like meeting with kinsfolk. Therefore, one ought to follow the wise, the intelligent, the learned, the much enduring, the dutiful, the elect; one ought to follow a good and wise man as the moon follows the path of the stars.

--Buddha, The Dhammapada, Chapter XV, Verses 207-208.
Omlin

Post by Omlin »

That worker is sooo collectible. Congrats bro
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Omlin,

Welcome to our forum.

Richie,

I don't remember the engraving as being done in-house, just the number with a diamond drag engraver. But as mentioned, very rare. We made 1200 pcs. 240 left handed. It was promoted as "The Next generation of folding knives". That statement proved to be prophetic.

sal