A11 Mule Feedback

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Skinner

A11 Mule Feedback

Post by Skinner »

Hello everyone. First time poster but long time admirer of spyderco. I was hooked ever since purchasing a delica combo edge in 2003 or 2004 from a local hardware store for a summer job. All of my coworkers thought I was crazy for spending “so much” on a pocket knife but I quickly became enamored with the ergonomics and functionality of the spyderco brand. Sadly the only knife I have ever lost is the delica that started it all during a move the last 2 years. Hopefully it will re-emerge one day from it’s hiding place.

Fast forward a few years and many spyderco later, and my most recent acquisition has been the A11 mule to try my hand at modifying the handle shape specifically for hunting/skinning using a 20 year old osage orange board for scales.

Given Phil Wilson’s glowing reviews of A11 as the ultimate steel in edge retention for hunting if stain resistance is not an issue, I have been surprised at the relative silence regarding feedback for the A11 mule. My favorite hunting knifes to date has been my super blue stretch and Gayle Bradley 1, so I have had super high expectations for A11 (although I have yet to try my recently acquired Southfork).

Although I will not be able to get any real world use until at least next September, I have been impressed with the way it sharpens to date. Does anyone have any updates on any real work performance to date or relative comparisons to other steels like M4, ZDP 189, S90V, or S110V? (I know what the charts or rope cutting comparisons say, more interested in working comparisons). I am also interested in the functional comparison to Maxamet and am possibly eyeing a maxamet native as a nice small game up to whitetail skinner. By the way, I love the stretch format for skinning.

Thanks in advance
The Mastiff

Re: A11 Mule Feedback

Post by The Mastiff »

Welcome Skinner.

A11 and Maxamet both have a lot of bite you will find useful for skinning in dirty hair/furred and mud caked thick skinned animals. Even more bite than D2. They will cut and cut and keep cutting even on the worst / dirtiest animal skins you will encounter. That is just what they do.

What I wouldn't do is pry bones, chop or do any sideways stuff that will put pressure on the thinnest parts of the grind. They aren't weak steel by any means but they are very high carbide, high hardness knives that are still ground for slicing and not chopping or prying.

They are not stainless but with the same care you give to an old 1095 Old Timer they will be fine. Perhaps even easier to care for.

If you need to sharpen either bring Silicone Carbide or Diamond stones due to the wear resistance of the steel. Round sharpeners are not my first choice for touching any high hardness steel. The chance of edge damage is too high. Use only flat stones.

If you use them for what they are you will get several lifetimes of skinning and caping work provided you find the blade shape acceptable.They make great all around cutting and slicing knives provided splitting/batoning wood isn't on the agenda. Buck makes a wonderful 5160 Froe that is perfect for that steel and grind and heat treat wise.

Good luck

Joe
Skinner

Post by Skinner »

Mastiff,

Thanks for the reply. I have always used carbon steel for processing as I enjoy the feel/bite and ease of attaining high sharpness. I use a skinning knife for just that, skinning so it is never in danger of bones/etc and is cleaned promptly after use. I use carbon steel boning knives for the remainder of processing.

Although I have seen reviews on A11 in general, I have still seen very little on this spyderco Mule (HRC etc). The only previous review between a maxamet and A11 mule described the A11 outperforming the maxamet due to edge degradation on the maxamet while skinning. I was wondering if these results had been reproduced by anyone else.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have not done any skinning with them, but honestly my Maxamet and A11 Mules both seem to hold an edge the same--that is to say practically forever. I have a lot less opportunity to EDC the Mule (I'd _love_ to see a Mule project using the UKPK as the base, so that people could EDC the test steels all over), because I have folders in Maxamet, but I've seen nothing to indicate that A11 is any better or worse than Maxamet in my (admittedly limited) uses.
Skinner

Post by Skinner »

TomAiello wrote:I have not done any skinning with them, but honestly my Maxamet and A11 Mules both seem to hold an edge the same--that is to say practically forever.
That is great news. Looking forward to some field work next season, but I am also looking forward to what I am sure will be a challenging project grinding the handle to my specs and fitting it with osage scales.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Skinner,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey Skinner, welcome to the forum. I don’t personally have any experience with a11 but I’ve used an m4 fixed blade that Phil made me quite a bit for heavy fish processing work. I really like the steel and I pushed it especially hard to see if the thin edge would hold up on heavy spines and rib bones. Never had the slightest chip or deformation and edge retention was excellent. I would expect (from numerous conversations with Phil) for a11 to be more of the same with an advantage in the edge retention department.

One note on the Native model...that particular design has a pretty flat edge profile for skinning work. I’m sure you can make it work just fine but I doubt you will like it as much as your stretch and GB for that type of work...I don’t.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Surfingringo wrote:Hey Skinner, welcome to the forum. I don’t personally have any experience with a11 but I’ve used an m4 fixed blade that Phil made me quite a bit for heavy fish processing work. I really like the steel and I pushed it especially hard to see if the thin edge would hold up on heavy spines and rib bones. Never had the slightest chip or deformation and edge retention was excellent. I would expect (from numerous conversations with Phil) for a11 to be more of the same with an advantage in the edge retention department.

One note on the Native model...that particular design has a pretty flat edge profile for skinning work. I’m sure you can make it work just fine but I doubt you will like it as much as your stretch and GB for that type of work...I don’t.
Now I'm thinking about sprints with more belly for skinning and skin work.

We've seen the Ouroboros, and the Parata is hopefully going to hit this year. Both have a very healthy amount of belly, but currently use a more EDC-focused steel, VG10.

I'm wondering if there's any interest in, say, a maxamet (unlikely, I know) or M4 sprint. :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Skinner

Post by Skinner »

Surfingringo wrote:Hey Skinner, welcome to the forum. I don’t personally have any experience with a11 but I’ve used an m4 fixed blade that Phil made me quite a bit for heavy fish processing work. I really like the steel and I pushed it especially hard to see if the thin edge would hold up on heavy spines and rib bones. Never had the slightest chip or deformation and edge retention was excellent. I would expect (from numerous conversations with Phil) for a11 to be more of the same with an advantage in the edge retention department.
I’ve enjoyed reading your user posts over the years Lance. I have been impressed with the performance of M4 as well as it’s ability to take a keen edge. Hopefully the A11 lives up to expectations. I will be very interested to see the steel choice for the bow river collaboration. Here’s to hoping it’s A11 or something similar. If so it will be my most anticipated future purchase
Skinner

Post by Skinner »

curlyhairedboy wrote: Now I'm thinking about sprints with more belly for skinning and skin work.

We've seen the Ouroboros, and the Parata is hopefully going to hit this year. Both have a very healthy amount of belly, but currently use a more EDC-focused steel, VG10.

I'm wondering if there's any interest in, say, a maxamet (unlikely, I know) or M4 sprint. :D
I agree. Those caught my eye as well, but while I like VG10 on my delicas, they are too dull after a single whitetail.

Many of the sprints/ethnic series have caught my eye over the years including the Persian, impala, anso Zulu, and lionspy. Still regret not picking up a Zulu and I have found D2/Sleipner lionsteel models to be very functional so I’m sure the Elmax lionspy would have been great. I will be interested to see the steel choice for the possible Michael Walker.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

If all pans out, I should have a Zulu coming in today. I'll let you know how it works out!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Skinner

Post by Skinner »

curlyhairedboy wrote:If all pans out, I should have a Zulu coming in today. I'll let you know how it works out!
Please do. Looks like a winner
Skinner

Post by Skinner »

sal wrote:Hi Skinner,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thanks Sal, and thanks for making quality products. If the amount of time that it took me to grind the handle is any indication, the reshaped A11 should take care of quite a few deer and hogs at a time as intended.

curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Skinner wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:If all pans out, I should have a Zulu coming in today. I'll let you know how it works out!
Please do. Looks like a winner
Zulu in hand! I can really choke up on it!