Para 3 problem. Are my clip screws rubbing the blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BushcraftJoe

Para 3 problem. Are my clip screws rubbing the blade?

Post by BushcraftJoe »

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. I've been having an issue trying to tune my Para 3. I'm a lefty and prefer tip down carry, on this knife mainly for pocket depth reasons. In adjusting my pivot to try and get a moderately smooth fall shut close and eliminate side to side play, I think I finally got the right balance. Once I put the clip back on I lose my fall shut capability, but when I look at the liner it seems the screws aren't poking through to the blade at all. Anybody else have issues with a fall shut blade when the clip is mounted by the pivot? Thanks in advance.
Spydersense

Re: Para 3 problem. Are my clip screws rubbing the blade?

Post by Spydersense »

Welcome to the forum!

It's all a balancing act. You need to mount the clip where you want it first, then make your pivot adjustments. You wouldn't think the clip relocation would cause a problem, but it can. From my experience at least.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
BushcraftJoe

Post by BushcraftJoe »

The adjustable side falls under the clip so I have to remove it each time to adjust the pivot. Can I reverse the pivot?
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

BushcraftJoe wrote:The adjustable side falls under the clip so I have to remove it each time to adjust the pivot. Can I reverse the pivot?
Sorry, I missed that part. Not sure about that then. You'll probably just have to keep going back and forth until you get it just right.? I'm sure somebody else will chime in to help.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
BushcraftJoe

Post by BushcraftJoe »

After further pondering I think I may understand better. The screws aren't rubbing but the tension of the clip is pulling the liner over and changing the action. Any one have an answer if I could flip around the pivot? I suspect not but worth an ask.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I think you can I've accidentally flipped the pivot around several times during reassembly and then switched it back
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The screws are probably twisting/binding the liner just enough to effect the pivot clearances. First I would get the clip where you want it, put a SMALL amount of blue Loctite on the clip screws and be careful not to over tighten them. I say small amount because it's easy to overdo it and get Loctite in your pivot. Then adjust your pivot screw to your liking.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BushcraftJoe

Post by BushcraftJoe »

Spydergirl88 wrote:I think you can I've accidentally flipped the pivot around several times during reassembly and then switched it back
It's never been disassembled, just adjusted the pivot tension, and clip position.
BushcraftJoe

Post by BushcraftJoe »

Evil D wrote:The screws are probably twisting/binding the liner just enough to effect the pivot clearances. First I would get the clip where you want it, put a SMALL amount of blue Loctite on the clip screws and be careful not to over tighten them. I say small amount because it's easy to overdo it and get Loctite in your pivot. Then adjust your pivot screw to your liking.
I can't adjust the pivot while the clip is on because I'm going for left hand tip down carry.
BushcraftJoe

Post by BushcraftJoe »

Spydergirl88 wrote:I think you can I've accidentally flipped the pivot around several times during reassembly and then switched it back
Sorry just re-read that slower lol. Thanks for the tip.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

BushcraftJoe wrote:
Evil D wrote:The screws are probably twisting/binding the liner just enough to effect the pivot clearances. First I would get the clip where you want it, put a SMALL amount of blue Loctite on the clip screws and be careful not to over tighten them. I say small amount because it's easy to overdo it and get Loctite in your pivot. Then adjust your pivot screw to your liking.
I can't adjust the pivot while the clip is on because I'm going for left hand tip down carry.
Oh right my bad I forgot about the clip shape. In that case I'd try the thread locker and not tightening down the screws too much. This is ultimately why I changed to tip up when I carried a Para 2, I remember having some issues with the screw holes on the inside of the liner being flared out from the drilling process which caused all sorts of issues.
~David
BushcraftJoe

Post by BushcraftJoe »

Evil D wrote:
BushcraftJoe wrote:
Oh right my bad I forgot about the clip shape. In that case I'd try the thread locker and not tightening down the screws too much. This is ultimately why I changed to tip up when I carried a Para 2, I remember having some issues with the screw holes on the inside of the liner being flared out from the drilling process which caused all sorts of issues.
I think I'll sacrifice the fall shut before I sacrifice the tip down carry. Thanks for the advice peeps.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It'll most likely loosen up with wear anyway. It'll get there eventually.
~David
BushcraftJoe

Post by BushcraftJoe »

Evil D wrote:It'll most likely loosen up with wear anyway. It'll get there eventually.
That's what I'm thinking
BushcraftJoe

Post by BushcraftJoe »

For anyone following along, I just referred to the shabazz para 3 disassembly and it appears that the pivot is not reversible. Bummer.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

BushcraftJoe wrote:For anyone following along, I just referred to the shabazz para 3 disassembly and it appears that the pivot is not reversible. Bummer.
I apologize my earlier comment on disassembly was about the pm2 i totally misread that you were talking about the para 3.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I cut a zip tie with my para 3 and I carry tip down. It developed blade play immediately after the zip tie cut. Took me forever to re adjust since I would have to keep removing the clip, adjusting then it would feel right. I’d replace the clip and then it was too tight and wouldn’t free fall. I still can’t get it where it was to begin with. I’m so bummed one **** zip tie effected the action of my knife.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So, doesn't this have screws on both sides of the pivot? Can't tighten down the clip side and assemble from the other side and adjust the pivot from the opposite side?
~David
BushcraftJoe

Post by BushcraftJoe »

spyderHS08 wrote:I cut a zip tie with my para 3 and I carry tip down. It developed blade play immediately after the zip tie cut. Took me forever to re adjust since I would have to keep removing the clip, adjusting then it would feel right. I’d replace the clip and then it was too tight and wouldn’t free fall. I still can’t get it where it was to begin with. I’m so bummed one **** zip tie effected the action of my knife.
I hear you man, I've barely touched this thing and can't get it right, either way too tight or way too much play. I usually don't like talking about blade play, it's kind of a stupid concept. Hand me ANY folding knife and I will demonstrate side to side play, it's inherent in the nature of a two piece object joined by a pin or screw.
BushcraftJoe

Post by BushcraftJoe »

Evil D wrote:So, doesn't this have screws on both sides of the pivot? Can't tighten down the clip side and assemble from the other side and adjust the pivot from the opposite side?
Oh is that how it works? Pardon my ignorance, I'm really a fixed blade guy. I just thought that since one side turns and the other felt solid that it was only adjustable one way. I guess I could tighten up that adjustable screw and go from the other side. I won't be able to try till Thursday but I'll keep you posted.