Spyderco’s Polestar & Alcyone should not be in the “VALUE LINEUP”

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BrianMcCord

Re: Spyderco’s Polestar & Alcyone should not be in the “VALUE LINEUP”

Post by BrianMcCord »

After this discussion, which I admittedly derailed a time or two, I am purchasing one of these to try. I will post my experience when I get it in.
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

This has been a very interesting and informative thread. I’d be remiss if I wasn’t able to learn something from participating in these kinds of intelligent back and forth discussions. Because of personal reasons I decided a couple of weeks ago that I wanted to have one quality Spyderco to be my constant (or very frequent) carry knife so I began to ponder the catalog, look at reviews, read up on knives here on the forum. I went from the Para 2, to the Chaparral FRN, the Lil’ Native, the Para 3, and on. And, on. Kind of obsessive. But, I didn’t stop to think what I was really after. This thread helped to bring that more in focus. I want a larger, but not too large - under 3.5” blade - for pretty much all purpose use. In the kitchen, office, outside, in the woods kind of thing. I wanted some more advanced steel and a refined design. Today I realized that the Polestar fits right into that category. I’m not a well educated knife afi, although I am an aficionado of sorts. So, long story short, I applied a bit of reason and logic and think that a Polestar would exactly fill the bill. And, perhaps it can teach me some things about the subtler aspects of knife design. So, I’m going to order one and test out the ideas and theories we have all been discussing here. I will report in from time to time.

This is another example of why the Spyderco forum is unique. A place of ideas and where one can learn as well as state opinions and experiences.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

MichaelScott wrote:This has been a very interesting and informative thread. I’d be remiss if I wasn’t able to learn something from participating in these kinds of intelligent back and forth discussions. Because of personal reasons I decided a couple of weeks ago that I wanted to have one quality Spyderco to be my constant (or very frequent) carry knife so I began to ponder the catalog, look at reviews, read up on knives here on the forum. I went from the Para 2, to the Chaparral FRN, the Lil’ Native, the Para 3, and on. And, on. Kind of obsessive. But, I didn’t stop to think what I was really after. This thread helped to bring that more in focus. I want a larger, but not too large - under 3.5” blade - for pretty much all purpose use. In the kitchen, office, outside, in the woods kind of thing. I wanted some more advanced steel and a refined design. Today I realized that the Polestar fits right into that category. I’m not a well educated knife afi, although I am an aficionado of sorts. So, long story short, I applied a bit of reason and logic and think that a Polestar would exactly fill the bill. And, perhaps it can teach me some things about the subtler aspects of knife design. So, I’m going to order one and test out the ideas and theories we have all been discussing here. I will report in from time to time.

This is another example of why the Spyderco forum is unique. A place of ideas and where one can learn as well as state opinions and experiences.
I’m going to do the same and order a Polestar tomorrow. My curiosity’s got the better of me.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Great. We can compare notes. Ordered mine a few minutes ago from the Spyderco online store. You can cut up fish and I will tackle chickens and free range veggies.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

BrianMcCord wrote:After this discussion, which I admittedly derailed a time or two, I am purchasing one of these to try. I will post my experience when I get it in.
MichaelScott wrote: So, I’m going to order one and test out the ideas and theories we have all been discussing here. I will report in from time to time.

Surfingringo wrote:
I’m going to do the same and order a Polestar tomorrow. My curiosity’s got the better of me.
Well, thats three Polestars sold lol. As I have read all the opinions within this discussion, there has been a lot of knowledge to gain here. Love this forum for that exact reason. And if I am honest, because of all the opinions, knowledge and advice offered, I have been thinking heavily about picking up an Alcyone.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Haha! I don't think you guys will be disappointed, this knife is one of my favorite kitchen folders.
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

Personally I'm very curious about BD1N steel - imho these new nitrogen-rich steels hold much promise. I'd always considered that the Polestar and Alcyone would be a natural platform for the upgraded steel.
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

I actually ordered the Alcyone. The only thing I don't like about it is the font and lettering. If it was like the Effecient, I think it would look nicer. At least it isn't comic sans...lol ;)
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

After this discussion +1 on the Polestar. Thanks Sal for the :spyder: education.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Sal,

If you bring it back to Golden, would it be possible to transport the design into a lockback? I come to realize that I prefer a strong close bias, and symmetrical handles. A liner lock and compression lock is not symmetrical and retains the blade closed by detent only.

Second question is that where would it sit in the range of models/target market?

It’s been an interesting discussion and thanks to all that share their thoughts.
Chris :spyder:
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

+1 once more on the lockback! ;)

Also if the Chinese production should unfortunately have to stop at some time and there is gonna be some of that Chinese G10 left over I'd love to get my hands on it. Very cool stuff, great pattern/color & texture. :D
olywa

Post by olywa »

I'm in on a Polestar as well. I was going to pick up an Efficient, but I like the clip/lanyard hole design on the Polestar much better. I'm looking forward to putting this one to use.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I have to agree that this thread was very informative and interesting.
I followed it close because I own many of the inexpensive Spydies and I've shown my appreciation for the Byrd line and Chinese line many times here. :cool:

I was also puzzled by the price point of these two and the reasons behind that, and now I have been educated.
If I lived in the US I'd most likely get a Polestar now, but they cost about $90-120 here so I'll have to pass on this (assuredly great and thorough) design of Sal, :(

but I'll still have the large resilience for use in food prep, something at which it excels over all my other Spydies due to the tall blade, grind and perfect ergonomics, with a steel I can easily sharpen and use :spyder:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Update - Alcyone received in the mail today!! First impressions to come in a couple days.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Unfortunately, the Alcyone is going back. Knife overall is pretty nice, still don’t think $67 nice, which is what this thing cost me after tax. The overall design is great. G-10 is nice, I love the color, though I don’t see any difference between the G-10 on the Alcyone and the G-10 on the other Value Knives. Fit and finish as well as ergonomics are both good. I don’t know much about blade steels yet, but I was able to get the BD1 steel razor sharp. But even with all of this, the action on the Alcyone is WAY too stiff. I adjusted to the point of allowing just a little blade play, and yet, action is still stiff?? If I loosen anymore the blade is going to fall out lol. And If I tighten to the point of no blade play the blade can barely be opened. I just don’t understand why this would be the case after the absolute home run with the Efficient. G-10 on the Efficient is superb, fit and finish is great, ergonomics feels super comfortable in the hand, blade edge can be sharpened to razor sharp and the action is like butter...crazy smooth with no blade play at all and good blade center when closed. Not to mention that you get all this for the low price of just $40 or so. I bring up the Efficient because this is the knife that all other Value Knives produced after the Efficient should strive to be like. I mean even the knives from the original Value Line like the Persistence have smoother actions. So for me, action stiffness is too much of a miss to spend $67. At least I gave it a try.

Let me know if anyone else found this to be the case with their Polestar/Alcyone, and what was done to fix.
Last edited by JaseRicco on Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

JaseRicco wrote:Unfortunately, the Alcyone is going back. Knife overall is pretty nice, still don’t think $67 nice, which is what this thing cost me after tax. The overall design is great. G-10 is nice, I love the color, though I don’t see any difference between the G-10 on the Alcyone and the G-10 on the other Value Knives. Fit and finish as well as ergonomics are both good. I don’t know much about blade steels yet, but I was able to get the BD1 steel razor sharp. But even with all of this, the action on the Alcyone is WAY too stiff. I adjusted to the point of allowing just a little blade play, and yet, action is still stiff?? If I loosen anymore the blade is going to fall out lol. And If I tighten to the point of no blade play the blade can barely be opened. I just don’t understand why this would be the case after the absolute home run with the Efficient. G-10 on the Efficient is superb, fit and finish is great, ergonomics feels super comfortable in the hand, blade edge can be sharpened to razor sharp and the action is like butter...crazy smooth with no blade play at all and good blade center when closed. Not to mention that you get all this for the low price of just $40 or so. I bring up the Efficient because this is the knife that all other Value Knives produced after the Efficient should strive to be like. I mean even the knives from the original Value Line like the Persistence have smoother actions. So for me, action stiffness is too much of a miss to spend $67. At least I gave it a try.

Let me know if anyone else found this to be the case with their Polestar/Alcyone, and what was done to fix.
Lots of knives require a break-in period before they operate smoothly.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Bill1170 wrote:
Lots of knives require a break-in period before they operate smoothly.
Is that so? Maybe im being to hasty. I’m just not sure what mechanically would break in on a knife, but I can give it some more time before making the decision to return.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
sal

Post by sal »

And you planned to return it after you messed with it?

sal
Nate

Post by Nate »

I had a Persistence that became really tight. The problem turned out to be that a burr from one of the screw holes around the pivot broke off and got wedged in there. You may just be able to flush it out with hot, soapy water, dry, and lube to resolve.

You may want to check out the new stickied discussion Sal just started, "Taking Apart Knives" as well. It doesn't sounds like you've fully disassembled the knife, but returning it to the dealer after you've sharpened it and messed with the pivot may not be the best course of action.

*Sal beat me to it.*
:spyder:
SG89

Post by SG89 »

and you sharpened it? that's a used knife now bro nobody wants your used knife
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb