Gayle Bradley 2 - So close to perfection...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: Gayle Bradley 2 - So close to perfection...

Post by abbazaba »

**** yes sir. Great post! :spyder:
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

Canazes9,

Great post, topic and info...thanks for the follow-up and pics.

Just for my clarification and understanding: Though the Leaf Storm may be an extreme example of the choil, is that what you would do to make the blade more aesthetically pleasing and able to rid the recurve?

I have had my eye on this blade for a while and every post about it has pushed me closer; but yours may be the last straw.

Thanks for all your observations!
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

daknight wrote:Canazes9,

Just for my clarification and understanding: Though the Leaf Storm may be an extreme example of the choil, is that what you would do to make the blade more aesthetically pleasing and able to rid the recurve?
Yes, if I bother with it at all.

David
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

FWIW,

The Cold Steel Tuff Lite is perfect example of having both finger choil and sharpening choil.

The GB2 has neither.

What it has is a dropped heel that supposedly easier to sharpen fully into the end of the edge. What the maker failed to do is to either remove more metal so the heel starts at the end or after the end of the curved plunge line, or push back the plunge line.

This problem is exactly what my BM HK14715 has, and forcing it to be sharp all the way (so not to have recurve) result in similar sharpening mark David showed on his onligatory pic, a grind mark climbing up onto the plunge curvature. This problem is absent from Sanrenmu 710 where the end of plunge line curvature is before the heel, so the heel has same thickness as the rest of the blade edge (or more precisely, same BET).
Chris :spyder:
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

anagarika wrote:FWIW,

The Cold Steel Tuff Lite is perfect example of having both finger choil and sharpening choil.

The GB2 has neither.

What it has is a dropped heel that supposedly easier to sharpen fully into the end of the edge. What the maker failed to do is to either remove more metal so the heel starts at the end or after the end of the curved plunge line, or push back the plunge line.

This problem is exactly what my BM HK14715 has, and forcing it to be sharp all the way (so not to have recurve) result in similar sharpening mark David showed on his onligatory pic, a grind mark climbing up onto the plunge curvature. This problem is absent from Sanrenmu 710 where the end of plunge line curvature is before the heel, so the heel has same thickness as the rest of the blade edge (or more precisely, same BET).

Thanks for playing, but I'm sorry wrong answer!

That's a choil.

Can't escape it, it's a choil.

David
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

It seems to be if you look at it that way. It’s probably one of the gray area of the choil debate. If that’s a choil, my Sanrenmu 710 also has choil ;)

Anyway, I think the finished edge bevel is not on par with GB1, and it requires CQI.
Chris :spyder:
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

anagarika wrote: Anyway, I think the finished edge bevel is not on par with GB1, and it requires CQI.
We're in agreement here.

David