Why, Spyderco, Why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Why, Spyderco, Why?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Why did you have to discontinue the old-favorite Native with the cool swedge top edge? Well, the only cure is the Native Salt! :)

Who else is excited about this knife? And when can we expect it to be released?

Here is a good picture of it:

https://www.knivesplus.com/spyderco-c41 ... knife.html

I am also excited about this one:

https://www.knivesplus.com/spyderco-car ... 217gs.html

The Caribbean.

Thank you, Spyderco :)
steelcity16

Re: Why, Spyderco, Why?

Post by steelcity16 »

I am VERY excited for the Salt! Hope to see a black FRN/DLC versions as well! And a Manix LW Salt!

The Native Salt is on my short list for new production knives to pick up this year. Will probably get one in PE and one in SE to try.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

So far, there hasn't been anything in LC200N that interested me, so I'm looking forward to trying the Native Salt.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Deacon wrote:So far, there hasn't been anything in LC200N that interested me, so I'm looking forward to trying the Native Salt.
Yeah, same here, and I have zero interest in the Caribbean series as I personally think the scales are very unattractive, and I still can't get over the fact that they are made in Taiwan. Now don't get me wrong, I know that very high quality tools, knives, machines, etc come out of Taiwan, but they also typically come at a steep discount compared to similar quality items made in America, Germany, Switzerland, Japan, etc. I own many Taiwan made tools that are on par quality-wise with Snap on, Matco, Mac, etc., and much better than USA made Craftsman, but I paid a fraction of the cost. So maybe its just me, but I'll take the $115 USA Made Native over the $165 Taiwan made Caribbean.

I still wish they would have just made G10 Salt models of the existing Golden-made Military, PM2, Native, Manix, etc rather than reinvent the wheel with this Caribbean series. I truly believe that would be been a big hit. Especially if they would have done LC200N for PE and H1 for Serrated given the legendary status H1 has in serrated edge. I would be all over any Golden-made model in Salt form with SE H1 and PE LC200N. Especially DLC/TiCN coated with Translucent Day Glow Yellow G10 (or standard black G10 for those who like the "murdered out" look...which I do). Would buy them all!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

steelcity16 wrote:
but I'll take the $115 USA Made Native over the $165 Taiwan made Caribbean.
The knife with the best fit and finish I own is the Taiwanese Gayle Bradly 2. I would never have thought the quality of Taiwan knives could be better than US, but my GB2 definately is.

Having said that, I agree with your point above. The Caribbean at $165 is a no go for me. The Native Salt is a much better value IMO. I will be buying a fully serrated one for sure. :)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I was definitely not a fan of the scales initially.

but then I realized: I like bees.

Now I'm looking forward to "bee"ing happy with the Carri-BEE-an.

:P
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Native Salt appeals to me. The Native has never been one of my favorite designs, but this one appeals to me. I plan to get one as soon as I can do so.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm exited about the Native Salt and I've already had one for a year :D (The Never Summer LC200N Native combo edge) Can't wait to get my hands on one of these Plain edged beauties!
I was contemplating whether or not I wanted to stick with the Yellow FRN or have KP Rit dye me one like my 'Blue Fade' Hawkbill Dragonfly Salt.

*I would also like to see a run of these with yellow g-10 (especially now that the native line has gone linerless!)
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I can't wait for the Manix 2 LW Salt in LC200N. :)
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

steelcity16 wrote:
The Deacon wrote:So far, there hasn't been anything in LC200N that interested me, so I'm looking forward to trying the Native Salt.

I still wish they would have just made G10 Salt models of the existing Golden-made Military, PM2, Native, Manix, etc rather than reinvent the wheel with this Caribbean series. I truly believe that would be been a big hit. Especially if they would have done LC200N for PE and H1 for Serrated given the legendary status H1 has in serrated edge. I would be all over any Golden-made model in Salt form with SE H1 and PE LC200N. Especially DLC/TiCN coated with Translucent Day Glow Yellow G10 (or standard black G10 for those who like the "murdered out" look...which I do). Would buy them all!
I hear you on that...after I got my Tasman, Pacific, Salt I, Spyderhawk, DF2 Salt etc, I just bougt doubles or triples of those. :confused:

If there had been a Salt PM2, Military, Police, Caly, etc. I would've gotten those instead, :rolleyes: and I would've jumped on every model that had a new lock, new blade shape, or other cool new stuff to try out if they received the Salt treatment,
either with LC200N or H1

That being not how it is, though, I'm still waiting to try out the Compression lock, Jade or Translucent G10 and other fancy stuff on a Salt knife. The Caribbean just seems ugly to me, and I don't like most of the things it offers :(
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

The black and blue handle is a lc200n mule.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

steelcity16 wrote:
Yeah, same here, and I have zero interest in the Caribbean series as I personally think the scales are very unattractive, and I still can't get over the fact that they are made in Taiwan. Now don't get me wrong, I know that very high quality tools, knives, machines, etc come out of Taiwan, but they also typically come at a steep discount compared to similar quality items made in America, Germany, Switzerland, Japan, etc. I own many Taiwan made tools that are on par quality-wise with Snap on, Matco, Mac, etc., and much better than USA made Craftsman, but I paid a fraction of the cost. So maybe its just me, but I'll take the $115 USA Made Native over the $165 Taiwan made Caribbean.

Not a fan of the Caribbean either, but not because of the price or where it's made. Well, maybe the price, as I can't see spending that kind of money for what I'd peg as a rustproof, compression lock Tenacious. But the wrong handed lock, lack of 50/50 choil, "all edge" blade, and mesmerizing scales would queer it for me at half the price.

As for Taiwan, 60 years ago, the motto was "if it's Jap, it's crap". Things change. Like most places, Taiwan has companies that make things cheap, but it also has companies that make quality products. I'm not a bicycle person, but I understand some of the best are made there. Know a couple of Spyderco's I think very highly of, namely the Chaparral and the Sage, are made there.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I think this will be my first Native since the old $40 Walmart Native 1's :o

I could see this being a nice alternative to my Pacific Salts for my lightweight, rust proof summer EDC. I'll give up some cutting edge and handle real estate but I'll trim some weight, get a FFG, and get to finally check out the Native 5.

I usually don't carry knives this small but I always did like the Native. The lack of a thumb ramp is nice too, I've been looking for that on knives lately.
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I'm excited about the Native Salt! I think it's great that we're getting some more variety with LC200N blades.

Trouble is, I've already spent too much on knives the last month, so it might be awhile before I can afford one. :)

Anyone know when they're going to hit the market?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Why did you have to discontinue the old-favorite Native with the cool swedge top edge? Well, the only cure is the Native Salt
What do you mean regarding discontinuing the blade swedge? I thought all current Native models have a swedge.

Thanks!
Last edited by jimmd on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

Duplicate post. Sorry
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Jimm, compare one of the older model Natives with S30v stainless steel blade and the older Native with VG10 stainless steel blade and wire clip to the present native. They had a swedge/false edge that I found to be symmetrically beautiful and functional. Some did not like it because it made it look too "weapon like".

Here is an example from the great Paul Beretta's website:

http://www.paulberetta.com/natives.htm

Now look those over and compare that to the following:

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -Black/663

Some people prefer the current versions.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

From what I hear the current gen Natives are the best FRN handles backlock Spyderco has ever made. Who cares if it doesn’t have the deep swedge? That never added anything to the Native but cost.

I think I’d carry my older Native more if I got the updated clip for it. It came with the squares of clip and it’s the worst clip they made.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Waiting for an all black version of the Native Salt.
timlara

Post by timlara »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Jimm, compare one of the older model Natives with S30v stainless steel blade and the older Native with VG10 stainless steel blade and wire clip to the present native. They had a swedge/false edge that I found to be symmetrically beautiful and functional. Some did not like it because it made it look too "weapon like".

Some people prefer the current versions.
I'm with you, SEF. I think just about everything has improved on the new Natives over time, but I definitely prefer the old "spear" style grind on previous models. I feel like getting rid of that stole most of the character of the knife that drew me to the design in the first place. Now, it's still a fantastic tool, but just not as artful, imo.
Tim