P3 S90V CF

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SF Native

Re: P3 S90V CF

Post by SF Native »

ucfgrad93 wrote:
RamZar wrote:Additionally, I refuse to give any business to BBS.
I've seen a couple of comments about BBS. As a newbie in the knife world, what is so bad about them?
Bento charges a lot for most of their offerings. They have some tasty exclusives that are more comparable to other dealers.
Some are outraged by the full price or charging $15 for shipping and handling. On the other hand, they have long discontinued models New in box and no fear of a fake. It’s a business decision. An expensive but maybe worthwhile place to find the hard to find.
ucfgrad93

Post by ucfgrad93 »

SF Native wrote:Bento charges a lot for most of their offerings. They have some tasty exclusives that are more comparable to other dealers.
Some are outraged by the full price or charging $15 for shipping and handling. On the other hand, they have long discontinued models New in box and no fear of a fake. It’s a business decision. An expensive but maybe worthwhile place to find the hard to find.
Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts.
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

ucfgrad93 wrote:
I've seen a couple of comments about BBS. As a newbie in the knife world, what is so bad about them?
They charge basically full MSRP for a lot of Sprint run allocations instead of MAP 35% discounted pricing ( I say basically, because I'm not sure the Sprint runs have MSRP, but regardless you get the point). In addition, they generally charge a hefty rate for shipping and handling - charges that are often included with some dealers MAP discounted pricing. They sell some models that aren't Sprint runs and generally are close to typical pricing, but again extra for shipping.

So a Sprint gets made of whatever model, it's a limited run, 1200 pieces (i think that's the right number). All of the other dealers gets their allocations, some slightly upcharge, but generally they are selling for about 2/3 of BBS prices. BBS is priced higher, so nobody buys from them. Sprint run sells out quickly, lots of people can't get the knives they wanted, then the scalper prices start appearing on e-bay.

Then people get angry that BBS still has inventory but they are charging "scalper prices" when they are a dealer. To me, it's a different business model. They have to sit on their inventory a long time to get their money back, but seems like there's always someone willing to pay it eventually. When you get it you know you have a new knife and it's genuine, not a fake. Certainly not for everybody, but they stay in business so some people are buying them.

This isn't a sprint run, this is a dealer exclusive made just for BBS. So instead of only receiving their small allocation of a sprint run (don't know what that number would be, probably around 30-40 pieces), they have to sell the entire allocation. Don't know how many what that number is, but it's many hundreds. BBS will never sell their whole dealer exclusive if they charge inflated prices, so they are charging more normal pricing, which further causes folks to get upset with them...

David
ucfgrad93

Post by ucfgrad93 »

Canazes9 wrote:They charge basically full MSRP for a lot of Sprint run allocations instead of MAP 35% discounted pricing ( I say basically, because I'm not sure the Sprint runs have MSRP, but regardless you get the point). In addition, they generally charge a hefty rate for shipping and handling - charges that are often included with some dealers MAP discounted pricing. They sell some models that aren't Sprint runs and generally are close to typical pricing, but again extra for shipping.

So a Sprint gets made of whatever model, it's a limited run, 1200 pieces (i think that's the right number). All of the other dealers gets their allocations, some slightly upcharge, but generally they are selling for about 2/3 of BBS prices. BBS is priced higher, so nobody buys from them. Sprint run sells out quickly, lots of people can't get the knives they wanted, then the scalper prices start appearing on e-bay.

Then people get angry that BBS still has inventory but they are charging "scalper prices" when they are a dealer. To me, it's a different business model. They have to sit on their inventory a long time to get their money back, but seems like there's always someone willing to pay it eventually. When you get it you know you have a new knife and it's genuine, not a fake. Certainly not for everybody, but they stay in business so some people are buying them.

This isn't a sprint run, this is a dealer exclusive made just for BBS. So instead of only receiving their small allocation of a sprint run (don't know what that number would be, probably around 30-40 pieces), they have to sell the entire allocation. Don't know how many what that number is, but it's many hundreds. BBS will never sell their whole dealer exclusive if they charge inflated prices, so they are charging more normal pricing, which further causes folks to get upset with them...

David
Thanks, I appreciate the info.
Bladewacked

Post by Bladewacked »

National in stock 191.97
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

ucfgrad93 wrote:
Canazes9 wrote:They charge basically full MSRP for a lot of Sprint run allocations instead of MAP 35% discounted pricing ( I say basically, because I'm not sure the Sprint runs have MSRP, but regardless you get the point). In addition, they generally charge a hefty rate for shipping and handling - charges that are often included with some dealers MAP discounted pricing. They sell some models that aren't Sprint runs and generally are close to typical pricing, but again extra for shipping.

David
Thanks, I appreciate the info.
Correction - to many Para3 threads for me, the M390 P3 is the BBS exclusive...

David
Bile Bob

Post by Bile Bob »

ucfgrad93 wrote:
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Agreed about the Golden peel ply CF. If these stick around long enough I will probably buy one in preparation of the day that the Para3 finally clicks for me.
jeff4air

Post by jeff4air »

Just ordered from National this AM. Shipping confirmation received. Thanks for the tip Bladewacked.
Own- PM2 S30V, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, Chap CF CTS-XHP, Sage 5 S30V, KW CF/Ti Military S90V, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, KW Military CTS-204P, Delica 4 VG-10, Native 5 LW S110V, Para3 S90V CF Sprint, Native 5 Green G-10 S90V Sprint, PM2 CF M4 Sprint, Para 3 BBS M390, Para 3 Maxamet, Delica HAP 40 WC Jazz Sprint, Endura laminate Sprint Blue
Wishlist- Salt 2 SE H1
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Even dogs love this knife :p
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Even dogs love this knife :p
Spydergirl, please stick to nylabones for your dogs. Carbon fiber might splinter and injure them. Besides, nylabones are slightly less expensive. :p
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
bacmapei

Post by bacmapei »

Blade Canada (Warriorsandwonders.com) has dropped the s90v sprint from their webpages while they sort out the CITT/CBSA importation restrictions. Makes me nervous to risk $300 Cdn to bring the Para 3 in from a US retailer.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Received my Para3 S90V/CF. Very smooth with no issues. The CF is different than past peel-ply versions. Less grippy but still good texture. I prefer it to the old peel-ply. Grippier than the CF on Sage5 for sure.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

ucfgrad93 wrote:
Their prices.

For example, the PM2 that is blue and M390 was $189.95 + $14.95 shipping, plus (if you live in CA) 10% sales tax.

DLT had a red PM2 that was M390 and was $149.97 + free shipping. To me, $55+ is not worth the color of the handle.

I did hop on the P3 they have, because $170 total seemed OK for one of the first sprint P3's to hit the market.

As others have said, they do have older models you cannot buy anywhere, but a lot of times they are as expensive as the secondary market. People obviously pay their prices, or they wouldn't be around.

To be on topic with this thread, the knife is $320 at BBS + what I mentioned above, compared to $191 at most places that have it; with some charging $207. However, when all of those $191 and $207 places are long sold out, BBS will still have theirs. When this knife is closer to $400 on the secondary market, BBS will be cheaper, and you will know its new in the box from an authorized dealer.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

soonerstateknives & knivesplus in stock
Spydergirl88
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Here's a little Golden, CO CF/S90V family photo for ya

SG89

Post by SG89 »

Bdubs808 wrote:Here's a little Golden, CO CF/S90V family photo for ya

nice! is the military peel ply cf as well?
Spydergirl88
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Bdubs808 wrote:Here's a little Golden, CO CF/S90V family photo for ya

nice! is the military peel ply cf as well?
Yes, the Military has peel ply CF on the presentation side; it feels quite nice.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Received my para 3 cf s90v sprint. The knife’s frame definitely feels more rigid than my g10 cruwear sprint. Also interesting how the shipping plastic bag/wrap surrounding the knife was abraded from being shipped; definitely gives you an idea as to the sharkskin or sandpaper texture on these knives. (No damage to the scales in any event.)

A keeper, for sure. Not sure if s90v is really worth the huge premium over the Reinhold Rhino, with similar scale material and decent CTS-XHP. But who am I kidding ... I’ll own both. :)
jeff4air

Post by jeff4air »

Arrived today from National. Spydie box Wrapped in an orange microfiber towel. Nice touch. Fast service amd free shipping.

Oh yeah, the knife is perfect. Installed MXG deep carry clip that should be standard. Love it.
Own- PM2 S30V, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, Chap CF CTS-XHP, Sage 5 S30V, KW CF/Ti Military S90V, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, KW Military CTS-204P, Delica 4 VG-10, Native 5 LW S110V, Para3 S90V CF Sprint, Native 5 Green G-10 S90V Sprint, PM2 CF M4 Sprint, Para 3 BBS M390, Para 3 Maxamet, Delica HAP 40 WC Jazz Sprint, Endura laminate Sprint Blue
Wishlist- Salt 2 SE H1