Non-Stainless Steel Blades, WHY?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hopweaver

Non-Stainless Steel Blades, WHY?

Post by Hopweaver »

I need some advice on non-stainless blade steels. I have come to enjoy the ease of maintenance of my S30V Spyderco knives. They hold a great edge, are easily to sharpened, and do not patina. I do have a few blades (Cruwear & M4) that are non-stainless, but I am wondering if I need them. They require more maintenance (frequently oiled) to keep from losing their factory fresh appearance.

What are the benefits of owning a non-stainless steel blade?
And do they outweigh the risks of getting some unwanted patina or rust on the steel?

Many thanks for your thoughts on the subject.
Last edited by Hopweaver on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
curlyhairedboy

Re: Non-Stainless Steel Blades, WHY?

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Nobody but you can make the decisions whether the benefits outweigh the risks, but:

Non-stainless steels can offer a finer-grained edge and superior toughness.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Well you don't want rust, but unless you like a nice patina, I wouldn't recommend it.
I've enjoyed my non stainless knives. Hap 40 is one of my favorite steels.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

You can take non-stainless steel edges down pretty thin without much worry about edge damage. Toughness is a great characteristic of carbon steel blades as well. Certain stainless steels will chip out if thin the edges too much... Plus, I like edges that dent or roll, as opposed to chipping out.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I wonder how tough LC200N is, if it's super tough like H1
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I do not find them that hard to maintain and don't really care about a factory fresh appearance. It isn't so much that I seek out non stainless steels as it is that I just rank corrosion resistance last in my prioritizing of attributes.

Added toughness and ease of sharpening are often the benefits of non stainless steels. There are exceptions though as we do have some very high carbide non stainless steels available like 10V and even Maxamet.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Overall performance is all that matters to me concerning blade steels whether they be non-stainless or stainless I really don't care. At the current time M390 just happens to be my favorite hard use steel so I EDC an M390 Military. If I run into another blade steel that beats it hands down>> then I'll get a Millie or Para with the steel that comes out on top. Actually I'm a little more picky on Spyderedge blade steels. There is about six of them I really like and two newer blade steels I would like to try in SE>> but other than that I'm pretty content at the moment.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Apart from fishing knives corrosion resistance isn’t too high on my priority list and I’ve never been able to keep a true user in factory shiny condition irrespective of what the blade material is plus I prefer a natural patina on a carbon steel blade to scratches on a stainless blade.

I also like the way carbon steel sharpens (generally) as compared to stainless steel. Specific to Spyderco , I only have HAP40, SuperBlue, Maxamet and ZDP-189 which feels more like carbon steel than stainless and they all go to silly sharp with minimal effort. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Hopweaver wrote:What are the benefits of owning a non-stainless steel blade?
Improved edge holding and toughness. In other words, they stay sharp longer. In some cases they are easier to sharpen as well.

Stain resistance is only one of the characteristics that I'm looking for in a blade, and all the characteristics involve trade offs with the others.

FWIW, right now my most common EDC knives are both non-stainless (Spyderco Manix 2 LW Maxamet and Bradford Guardian 3 V4e). I live in the desert, so rust isn't a huge concern, and I might decide differently if I lived on the coast, but honestly, the fact that the Maxamet stays sharp pretty much forever is worth a lot to me.
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

Bloke wrote:Apart from fishing knives corrosion resistance isn’t too high on my priority list and I’ve never been able to keep a true user in factory shiny condition irrespective of what the blade material is plus I prefer a natural patina on a carbon steel blade to scratches on a stainless blade.

I also like the way carbon steel sharpens (generally) as compared to stainless steel. Specific to Spyderco , I only have HAP40, SuperBlue, Maxamet and ZDP-189 which feels more like carbon steel than stainless and they all go to silly sharp with minimal effort. :)
Nothing more beautiful than a natural patina. The 'show your patina' thread is pure eye candy. There is a superblue Caly there that is the bees knees! Also, there is an M4 Manix that has a really nice patina.
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

You do not need non-stainless blades, I am willing to assist in your cleansing.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

The benefits of one steel over another can only be realized with use.
If you find there's no advantage over s30v, then no need for it.
If you ever get to the point of thinking s30v could be better in some way, besides more stainless, try your cruwear or m4 and see.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

BrianMcCord wrote: Nothing more beautiful than a natural patina. The 'show your patina' thread is pure eye candy. There is a superblue Caly there that is the bees knees! Also, there is an M4 Manix that has a really nice patina.
Brian, you're a man after my own heart!

The Caly I've ogled on a few occasions and I'll look for the Manix.

I wish Spyderco would produce more solid slab blades in SuperBlue and HAP40 and the blades I have weren't laminated. :rolleyes:
vivi

Post by vivi »

Advantages:

- They're usually easier to sharpen than stainless steels.

- They're usually tougher and more resistant to chipping than stainless steels.

- Patinas look pretty cool with age.

I like carbon steel for fixed blades but prefer stainless for folders. Pivots aren't as easy to keep clean as a slab of steel between two chunks of micarta.
:unicorn
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

Bloke wrote:
BrianMcCord wrote: Nothing more beautiful than a natural patina. The 'show your patina' thread is pure eye candy. There is a superblue Caly there that is the bees knees! Also, there is an M4 Manix that has a really nice patina.
Brian, you're a man after my own heart!

The Caly I've ogled on a few occasions and I'll look for the Manix.

I wish Spyderco would produce more solid slab blades in SuperBlue and HAP40 and the blades I have weren't laminated. :rolleyes:
I'm sorry Bloke, I don't think dating is a good idea. Long distance relationships never work! :p

Kidding aside, we do seem to have the same tastes. Let me find that picture and I'll post it...
-Brian

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

Bloke, here's that sexy beast, courtesy of BravoTango...
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
-Brian

koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I really liked the Caly with the weathered handle posted by PanChango
Attachments
wIfuyQE.jpg
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

koenigsegg wrote:I really liked the Caly with the weathered handle posted by PanChango
That's the one! Thanks for posting Kings Egg :)
-Brian

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

BrianMcCord wrote:Bloke, here's that sexy beast, courtesy of BravoTango...
Big Bravo Zulu to BravoTango! :)

I've never had a patina as pretty as that or the Caly.

Sure beats scratches! ;)
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

After making this post I did a lot of research and found CPM-20CV very interesting. Since l cut a lot of fruit, I tend to think stainless may be best for my needs, but since joining this forum a year ago y'all are crazy about all the steels!

Here is a link to all of the current popular blade steels which I found very helpful in my research. It does a good job of breaking down the steel's characteristics in layman's terms. (EDGE RETENTION, CORROSION RESISTANCE, EASE OF SHARPENING)

http://knifeinformer.com/discovering-th ... ife-steel/
TomAiello wrote:FWIW, right now my most common EDC knives are both non-stainless (Spyderco Manix 2 LW Maxamet and Bradford Guardian 3 V4e).
@TomAiello, I have two Guardian 3s in M390 that I frequently EDC as well. It is a fun knife!
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red