Non-Stainless Steel Blades, WHY?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero

Re: Non-Stainless Steel Blades, WHY?

Post by Deadboxhero »

I'm not against anyone sending me their Dozier to play with :p

Fell free to pm me :D
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Deadboxhero wrote:Haha ya always have to be super specific to convey an opinion.

Looks like D2 has a loyal following

I personally have never used a production knife with regular cast D2 knife with an excellent cutting geometry or amazing heat treatment.

I've never used great D2 and can't afford a $575 dollar custom folder to find out.

From sharpening knives for customers and all the steels I've used and sharpened my opinion is that I LIKE D2 the least.

That all.

I'm not the end all be all, just a guy.

We can argue our favorite colors all day.

On the maker side.
It's like 20 bucks for a big piece of D2 so I get why people love it. But CPM D2 only costs a bit more and I don't need a PhD in D2 to have it heat treated for the edge quality I like.
I have an Ontario folder that has "D2" steel, it's not anywhere close to being the same thing as Dozier D2 (it's pretty decent for what I paid, but it's not the same as DozierD2). D2 steel is just a designation - it's not the same thing as a specific steel name like for instance CPM S30V. There aren't multiple versions of CPM S30V, just one. Not the same with D2.

You don't have to spend $575 for a Dozier folder. $250ish will buy you an Arkansas made fixed blade. I have a Dozier Yukon skinner that was a gift from a good friend and it will take a highly refined polished edge that is easily capable of (and has) processed multiple deer without being sharpened and will still be sharp when you're done.

Point being, not all D2 is the same.

David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Canazes9 wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:Haha ya always have to be super specific to convey an opinion.

Looks like D2 has a loyal following

I personally have never used a production knife with regular cast D2 knife with an excellent cutting geometry or amazing heat treatment.

I've never used great D2 and can't afford a $575 dollar custom folder to find out.

From sharpening knives for customers and all the steels I've used and sharpened my opinion is that I LIKE D2 the least.

That all.

I'm not the end all be all, just a guy.

We can argue our favorite colors all day.

On the maker side.
It's like 20 bucks for a big piece of D2 so I get why people love it. But CPM D2 only costs a bit more and I don't need a PhD in D2 to have it heat treated for the edge quality I like.
I have an Ontario folder that has "D2" steel, it's not anywhere close to being the same thing as Dozier D2 (it's pretty decent for what I paid, but it's not the same as DozierD2). D2 steel is just a designation - it's not the same thing as a specific steel name like for instance CPM S30V. There aren't multiple versions of CPM S30V, just one. Not the same with D2.

You don't have to spend $575 for a Dozier folder. $250ish will buy you an Arkansas made fixed blade. I have a Dozier Yukon skinner that was a gift from a good friend and it will take a highly refined polished edge that is easily capable of (and has) processed multiple deer without being sharpened and will still be sharp when you're done.

Point being, not all D2 is the same.

David

Well said. Additionally, D2 is often considered a semi stainless by many makers due to it's high Chromium content. If you like XHP (stainless), you should be able to enjoy the properties of well made D2 as they are quite similar in composition.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

To each his own.

Ive used D2 for a good long while and personally have no problem sharpening D2 blades

Further more D2 knives hold an edge for a looong time.

I see it when hunting; when others give up skinning, because of their dull knives, my knife can zip through several deer.

Just a statement from the practical knife user side of the D2 debate.

In my book, D2 rocks ... as does A2.