Spyderco Paysan

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Molle Ninja

Re: Spyderco Paysan

Post by Molle Ninja »

Seems there is quite a bit to like here. Looks like they addressed the lock stick issue with a steel lockbar insert, which is good.

Agree that the clip is a little underwhelming.

Also think the lockbar cutout is too close to the pivot—looks a little less than aesthetically wonderful.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
xceptnl wrote:Actually, this piece is closer in shape to the Druid that i have been wanting since I first saw it. I like this package alot more than the Nirvana. I'd be interested, provided I can afford it when they release
Really? Because it clearly is his Paysan model and looks nothing like his Druid. Perhaps you’re referring to his original Druids? They looked a lot different than they do now. The original druids has an oval opening hole. Hisdruids now are all flippers with no holes.
Just referring to the lack of belly in this blade. And yes, I much preferred his oval hole version. I'll get my hands on one eventually
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I felt the Blade HQ video didn't really show me enough to form much of an opinion (I'm not too familiar with Peter Rassenti's work). And I read some negative stuff about the Nirvana, so I never really thought twice about the Paysan. These pics, however, are making me want one.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

I like the stonewash, glad they got rid of that blasting, I didn't like it on Nirvana

Blade shape is kinda ugly and still looks a bit thick, but I guess most of the people who would buy an integral will not buy it for the extraordinary cutting performance, more for playing and Instagram, so it hits the target market

Presentation side looks nice, they even managed to add a decorated pivot, that's quite an achievement and it must have been really hard

I don't like the screws in the lock bar, but that's life :D

That cheap looking pocket clip looks bad on such a nice integral piece, I don't know how much more would cost Spyderco to put a custom clip on it and how many CQI iterations would require to figure out that such a nice piece deserves a nicer custom clip...

Some others managed to do all that in one go, for example an integral with two-toned M390 blade, custom anodized screws, single screw for lockbar insert

https://youtu.be/QBsy9cSTfCA

And a custom clip

And everything for under 300$ :D

I optimistically :D presume Paysan will be priced similar with Nirvana, around 450$

With all the little things I didn't like about Nirvana I still bought one, as my first integral

With Paysan I'll be sinking about it

Probably a lot :D
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Any time I see the standard clip design I’m deeply appreciative. Standard clip design allows you to put a myriad of aftermarket designs to suit personal preferences (color, deep carry, etc).

David
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

The fact that it was an integral was the only thing I found appealing about the Nirvana. This, however, is a different story. Love the blade and handle. The clip isn't quite what I'd have chosen, but it's fine. This thing has great potential.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

BladeHQ has it for pre-order for $579.97!

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
rivy

Post by rivy »

RamZar wrote:BladeHQ has it for pre-order for $579.97!

Lol, $580! I’m out.
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Oooff!

Yeah, that's going to dampen my interest as well.

David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

6 bills is custom territory, Pass
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

That can't be right. This has less finishing than the nirvana AND a similar MSRP.

Even with a 30% MAP that would result in a cheaper price.

Plus, the image is literally a trimmed screen capture...

Waiting on official word.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

It's a high price, but I'm still in. I like this one alot. Just depends on when it drops compared to other new knives coming out.
*Landon*
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

BladeHQ has the MSRP at $799.95 and their selling price at $579.97. MAP (35% off MSRP) is $519.97. Looks like a typo on BladeHQ's part putting a "7" instead of "1".

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ral--81099
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Dang that just priced me out, I'll pass on this one :(
Last edited by murphjd25 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Maybe they're only gonna make 600 of em.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
rivy

Post by rivy »

Even at $520 - NOPE.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Nice, what steel?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

toomzz wrote:Nice, what steel?
S90V I think Tomas
*Landon*
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

BladeHQ updated their price to $519.97.
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

Hmm... That's pricier than I'm willing to go, I think. In that price range, I'd probably get a micarta Sebenza. Also, the new view of the knife in the BladeHQ pic makes me think the handle looks a bit thin in comparison to the blade.