Best Spyderco value

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Canazes9

Re: Best Spyderco value

Post by Canazes9 »

MichaelScott wrote:And, I politely suggest that you two move your argument to private messages or give up the personal insults.

I think that discussing value has value but this has gotten far off that track.

Thank you.
I'm discussing and I'm not hurling insults, thanks.

David
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

the Southerner wrote:
Canazes9 wrote:

In your world S110V performance doesn't outweigh the costs, but you seem to be stuck in an economic model that decides my time = the economic value of your time.

You are very much mistaken.

David
Are you repeatedly and regularly cutting difficult/abrasive materials? If so, then you are right. If not, then the value you are deriving from the s110v is, again, basically jewelry/hobby value, which is not consistent with a normal business understanding of a "value" knife. Basically you wouldn't be getting the extra practical benefit of the vastly harder steel, though you're paying for it.
No and no.

Having a knife that will stay sharp for over a week while being used in a wide variety of tasks without being sharpened all while maintaining a high degree of corrosion resistance while being used in wet/corrosive environments is extremely valuable to me.

David
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Hope people don't mind me bumping an oldie but id like to hear peoples opinion on the best value Spyderco folders in 2021.

In the value range id have to go for the resilience and efficient, both fantastic budget friendly knives.
Byrd hawkbill is a great little knife for the money too.

Native 5 lc200n and the pacific salts would be my other picks
fixall

Post by fixall »

For me, the Bow River, the UKPK, and Para 3 LW are the best value in the Spyderco lineup.

As runner-ups, I'd throw the Delica Wharncliffe in there (I would consider it a value at nearly any price considering it's my all time favorite Spyderco), as well as the Tenacious LW in S35VN (no experience with it, but that's a lot of knife for the price).
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

fixall wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:33 am
For me, the Bow River, the UKPK, and Para 3 LW are the best value in the Spyderco lineup.

As runner-ups, I'd throw the Delica Wharncliffe in there (I would consider it a value at nearly any price considering it's my all time favorite Spyderco), as well as the Tenacious LW in S35VN (no experience with it, but that's a lot of knife for the price).
Just ordered a Bow River, gonna try it in the kitchen first.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

M Sea wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:03 am
fixall wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:33 am

Just ordered a Bow River, gonna try it in the kitchen first.
Did you end up looking into the Z-Cuts for the kitchen? I remember your thread about the Spydie Chef and you had a lot of Z-Cut recommendations.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

"Feature-for-feature, dollar-for-dollar, performance-for-performance the Resilience adds one more must-have best buy to the Spyderco line-up." What he said! :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

C.O.O. is part of my value formula. Products from a particular nation come with a huge balloon payment.

For my money it's the Manix LWs that are an incredible value, both short and long term. "Golden - Colorado - USA - Earth." These are important value considerations to me.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

The manix when it was 120 bucks...

Edit: whoops my brain doesn’t work.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

For me it is the Chaparral FRN: Design, fit and finish, steel, performance,durability are amazing for the money.

When I focus on pure cutting performance for the money: Endela SE. Though I don´t have a Tenacious SE or Delica wharnie SE, those (and others I don´t think of right now) might beat the Chaparral in cutting performance for the buck.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:00 pm
Evil D wrote:
Bloke wrote:Military S110V.
It really is a broad subject, but considering the steel (and what other companies expect you to pay for it, IF they even offer it) this probably is the most bang for your buck. There may be more inexpensive options that do perform great but this Military is a bargain for what you get.
D, great minds think alike! :)
I agree, my latest purchase!

The Rex45 Native Chief will be up there too.

The GB2 is like a Sebenza, but with a better steel. :D

The Chaparral is my favorite small-size knife.

And the Native is the knife I want in most variations.

Not a single answer. Ultimately it can be any and all of them. It will be the knife that suits your personal needs the most at a given time for a given task.
Last edited by kobold on Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

G10 Rex45 Manix. Prove me wrong :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:10 pm
The upcoming DLT Manix is like $160, and I still think the knife is worth every penny and more. So at like $126, the Rex45 Manix was an absolute steal.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Urban Lightweight - does 95% of everything I need. Simple, lightweight, robust and discreet...looking forward to different steels like the Damasteel variant.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:10 pm

Don't have the G10, but I believe you
If one happened to get a lightweight Rex 45 Manix with perfect action (like mine has), that's a great value for the money too. Great design, amazing steel.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:44 pm
For me it is the Chaparral FRN: Design, fit and finish, steel, performance,durability are amazing for the money.

When I focus on pure cutting performance for the money: Endela SE. Though I don´t have a Tenacious SE or Delica wharnie SE, those (and others I don´t think of right now) might beat the Chaparral in cutting performance for the buck.
I agree the Chaparral FRN is hard to beat for less than 100. That would be my recommendation too. Lightweight slicer with CTS XHP steel. I think that will be my next purchase whenever it goes back in stock.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Henry_P wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:40 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:44 pm
I agree the Chaparral FRN is hard to beat for less than 100. That would be my recommendation too. Lightweight slicer with CTS XHP steel. I think that will be my next purchase whenever it goes back in stock.

Hope you'll be able to pick one up soon! :)
PStone

Post by PStone »

I always thought the Endura4 sprints and exclusives were the best values. Usually are around $100 for 4 inches of premium steel, full nested and skeletonized liners. 4 way carry options. Lightweight. And of my collection personally, the CutleryShoppe Hap40 Zome is what I consider the best value of all of mine.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The answer to the value question is super personal. No matter how inexpensive it is, a knife is only good value if it serves your needs well and will keep doing so for a long time.

You have to discover what size/shape/design/materials are needed to best meet YOUR needs and/or preferences.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

K390 FRN line-up. Great steel, lightweight, regular production, fair price. Just pick your size😉