Best Spyderco value

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: Best Spyderco value

Post by Donut »

I feel like the FRN Manix Lightweight S110V is quite a feat as far as what you get for your dollar.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

IMO there are lots. That’s why I have bought roughly 18 Spydercos/Byrds in the last few months.

The Cara Cara 2 is a great knife for around $20 as is the Tenacious at around twice that. The Manix 2 LW in BD1 is also a great value IMO.

The granddaddy of value to quality/performance though is the GB2. As good or better than knives costing 2-3x as much.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Tenacious.
quantico

Post by quantico »

i am fairly new to higher end knives, but for me the resilience and tenacious were tempting and got me to buy my first ten less expensive spyderco’s. i am not very knowledgeable about the expensive knives, but i am currently looking at buying a military in sv110 if i am remembering the metal correctly.

i am on the fence because the resilience is slightly bigger and fits my hand perfectly. the military is more than several times the money... so i am trying to justify the far more costly knife. if it was for survival kit then i guess just spend the money. i sold my saltwater sailboats , so my needs are not extreme or life saving on a regular basis. so i am still deciding.
VinylAddict

Post by VinylAddict »

Canazes9 wrote:
Bloke wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Bloke wrote:Military S110V.
It really is a broad subject, but considering the steel (and what other companies expect you to pay for it, IF they even offer it) this probably is the most bang for your buck. There may be more inexpensive options that do perform great but this Military is a bargain for what you get.
D, great minds think alike! :)
I agree also.

David

Gotta go with the Military S110V also... seeing how you can get it for $176 still in many places, and the Native 5 is now $165 in S110V.... no brainer here. (and I'm an expert at "no-brainers" :-))
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I think I agree with many of your points of view, but for me the Police 4 in K390 is probably my pick for best value. I use David's first measure of value, contents for the $. At roughly $175 this package offers something I don't think I could find from any other knife company.

I have to give a close second and third to the S110V Manix 2 (for the same reason) and the Caly 3 Sprint in HAP-40. Picked up the latter with a discount coupon from a trusted eBay store last year and at $112 it rivals even the P4.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Gotta go with the Chaparral Lightweight. Dreamy.

Drewthebrave

Post by Drewthebrave »

Molle Ninja wrote:Gotta go with the Chaparral Lightweight. Dreamy.

It looks so comfy!

I'm enjoying all of the responses here. I'm looking to buy my first $100+ Spyderco soon and am finding lots of great suggestions. So far the Gayle Bradley and the various incarnations of the Manix are near the top of my list.
But part of me is lusting after the Sliverax... Value is definitely subjective.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I’d say the discontinued Gayle Bradley 1 was one of the best values Spyderco ever offered.

I think the current g10 Manix is also a great value.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Pacific Salt, for the unique style, low weight, slim profile and construction as well as simplicity of build

while being tough, rustproof, easy to operate and maintain, strong and durable in the scales/steel/lock all for under $85

can't match that in any other company's catalog and applies to all the FRN Salts IMO
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Without a definition of the term ‘value’, this is pretty much like asking, “What’s your favorite Spyderco knife.”

Even so, that’s not all that informative either. My favorite might be the Bradley Bowie, but the one I’d have if I could have only one (my ‘real’ favorite) might be the Dragonfly.

See what I mean?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
the Southerner

Post by the Southerner »

Larry_Mott wrote:In my honest opinion, the Byrd Raven 2.
Let the flaming begin..
My exact thoughts. It has to be their Chinese Byrd knives now because of how expensive everything else has become. The Raven provides G-10, steel liners, and a steel comparable to VG-10 from an American company for $45.
the Southerner

Post by the Southerner »

Evil D wrote:
It really is a broad subject, but considering the steel (and what other companies expect you to pay for it, IF they even offer it) this probably is the most bang for your buck. There may be more inexpensive options that do perform great but this Military is a bargain for what you get.
The value question immediately leads to the steel question.
Value I think implies economic advantage relative to performance. So unless you're cutting cardboard all day, you just spent 5 tanks of gas and a Raven 2 on a luxury/hobby item.
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

the Southerner wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Value I think implies economic advantage relative to performance. So unless you're cutting cardboard all day, you just spent 5 tanks of gas and a Raven 2 on a luxury/hobby item.

Really?

Please explain in detail all you know of my use of a Mikitary S110V. While you're at it, explain in detail all you know of my economic situation and the drivers that may be influencing my choices in knives.

David
the Southerner

Post by the Southerner »

Canazes9 wrote:
the Southerner wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Really?

Please explain in detail all you know of my use of a Mikitary S110V. While you're at it, explain in detail all you know of my economic situation and the drivers that may be influencing my choices in knives.

David
I see that you have a reading-comprehension problem.

S110V is extremely hard and consequentially it is very difficult to machine, which drives up costs, which makes it more expensive. As a triggered shill, you want to win the internet argument by claiming that "value" is totally relative. It's a desperate last-resort, but it works in a pyrrhic sort of way. "Value" understood in a business sense though has consistently meant most bang-for-your-buck. How often do you use your knife? Probably not much if you're a normal person. Where then is the extra value of S110V for $130 more dollars? For many, probably looking at it, looking at the "S110V" etched on the blade and living out the super steel fantasy in their minds. Basically, pocket jewelry. But if you are cutting cardboard or rope or something similarly abrasive non-stop, all day, then S110V is clearly more valuable. Otherwise, it's a luxury/hobby item.
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

the Southerner wrote:
Canazes9 wrote:
the Southerner wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Really?

David

S110V is extremely hard and consequentially it is very difficult to machine, which drives up costs, which makes it more expensive. As a triggered shill, you want to win the internet argument by claiming that "value" is totally relative. It's a desperate last-resort, but it works in a pyrrhic sort of way. "Value" understood in a business sense though has consistently meant most bang-for-your-buck. How often do you use your knife? Probably not much if you're a normal person. Where then is the extra value of S110V for $130 more dollars? For many, probably looking at it, looking at the "S110V" etched on the blade and living out the super steel fantasy in their minds. Basically, pocket jewelry. But if you are cutting cardboard or rope or something similarly abrasive non-stop, all day, then S110V is clearly more valuable. Otherwise, it's a luxury/hobby item.

Now that was an epic fit worth quoting!

In your world S110V performance doesn't outweigh the costs, but you seem to be stuck in an economic model that decides my time = the economic value of your time.

You are very much mistaken.

David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Canazes9 wrote:
the Southerner wrote:
Canazes9 wrote:
the Southerner wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Really?

David

Now that was an epic fit worth quoting!

In your world S110V performance doesn't outweigh the costs, but you seem to be stuck in an economic model that decides my time = the economic value of your time.

David

I'd really appreciate it if you guys would unquote me from your little lover's quarrel :rolleyes:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

And, I politely suggest that you two move your argument to private messages or give up the personal insults.

I think that discussing value has value but this has gotten far off that track.

Thank you.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
the Southerner

Post by the Southerner »

Canazes9 wrote:

David
Are you repeatedly and regularly cutting difficult/abrasive materials? If so, then you are right. If not, then the value you are deriving from the s110v is, again, basically jewelry/hobby value, which is not consistent with a normal business understanding of a "value" knife. Basically you wouldn't be getting the extra practical benefit of the vastly harder steel, though you're paying for it.
the Southerner

Post by the Southerner »

MichaelScott wrote:
I think that discussing value has value but this has gotten far off that track.

Thank you.
It hasn't, I just forcefully disagree, and I'm not apologizing for it.

Thank you