Best Spyderco value

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Re: Best Spyderco value

Post by Bloke »

Canazes9 wrote:
I agree also.

A ZDP 189 Endura is a pretty strong value option as well.

David
100%

The entire line of ZDP-189 knives are exceptional value. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

It’s not a very meaningful question unless you specify what you value. Some will say a $400 Spyderco is hands down the best value out there, but to others that’s just crazy.

For reasonably priced knives the Dragonfly seems to be the best bang for the buck. It’s consistently reviewed highly and doesn’t really have many competitors in the small lightweight knife class.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

zhyla wrote:It’s not a very meaningful question unless you specify what you value. Some will say a $400 Spyderco is hands down the best value out there, but to others that’s just crazy.

For reasonably priced knives the Dragonfly seems to be the best bang for the buck. It’s consistently reviewed highly and doesn’t really have many competitors in the small lightweight knife class.
The question is personal for anyone responding. Like you said, people see value in different ways Which model of Spyderco do you think is the best deal?
Justin
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

zhyla wrote:It’s not a very meaningful question unless you specify what you value. Some will say a $400 Spyderco is hands down the best value out there, but to others that’s just crazy.

Yeah, the dragonfly is great. The Dragonfly 2 Salt was my first Spyderco knife. A great little knife that can handle a lot.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I look at value from two main perspectives; Cost vs contents, and cost vs intended use.

Contents, what am I getting for my money? The S110V Military, I feel, is an excellent value because it's a high end steel in an amazing/proven package for a reasonable price. There is no limited production price hike, no over the top scale materials to drive up cost, just a hard hitting steel in the standard Military package. It's as much as it can be without becoming pocket jewelry. That's value.

Intended use, what am I going to use the knife for and how much money should be invested into this job? When it really boils down to it, an Opinel is probably pound for pound the most effective, lowest cost tool combination you can buy. It cuts like a straight razor, has a decent steel, and can be had for less than S20. It won't pry a door of the hinges but it's an extremely effective cutting tool and the price vs performance of that knife is outstanding.

There are so many different perspectives to take on this subject there really isn't a right or wrong answer.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

crazywednesday wrote:The question is personal for anyone responding. Like you said, people see value in different ways Which model of Spyderco do you think is the best deal?
5 years ago I would have said the Ambitious. But that's gone up 50% since then. It was a fantastic knife at $20, at $33 it's still pretty good, but $33 will buy you a lot of knife with a better steel* from other companies.

So here's the thing, say someone is shopping for their first knife. And they say, "Hey, this Steel Will Cutjack looks like a great value." And you say, "No man, go Spyderco or go home. Just buy a Spyderco ________." Now fill in the blank with a Spyderco knife that doesn't cost twice as much.

See that's what "value" means to me -- something that gets the job done and doesn't cost much. We used to be able to say "Delica" here. I don't think "Tenacious" really fits -- it's 30% heavier and low end* steel.

* I don't mind 8Cr13MoV too much but most other steels are noticeably better.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Gayle Bradley2
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Depends what you are looking for as far as value. If by value you mean some of the best knives made...any Spyderco will do. If by value you mean best bang for the buck where a budget may be in place, I strongly suggest you take a look at their “Value Line”. They have Twelve knives in this lineup, and I just purchased the Efficient & Percistence . Both come with decent steel, nice G-10 handles, good fit and finish, both are extremely comfortable in the hand and are a couple of good looking knives.
Last edited by JaseRicco on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

steelcity16 wrote:

Yeah, the dragonfly is great. The Dragonfly 2 Salt was my first Spyderco knife. A great little knife that can handle a lot.
I agree that the Dragonfly represents a great value, if the entry-level price of $60 for VG-10 steel is in your range. If so, you may also consider the Dragonfly with excellent steel (ZDP-189) at around $84 a great value. If that's the case, the bigger Chaparral LW ($88) and even bigger but still very pocketable Native 5 LW ($94) also compare favorably, both with excellent steel.
Jim
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Was the Urban but now S30V Delica for $75. You can get a Meerkat in Hap40 for the same.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
bh49

Post by bh49 »

At this time this is Kc exclusive Native5
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

If we're sticking to Spyderco and not Byrd, I'd say Centofante 3, but that's because I don't much like the Delica/Endura/Salt and the C3 has a nice thin blade with a decent tip and a handle that works for any hand. If you are actually poor, look elsewhere, for $10 you can get a better knife than anything available to my grandfather.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Clipitool ;)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:I look at value from two main perspectives; Cost vs contents, and cost vs intended use.

Contents, what am I getting for my money? The S110V Military, I feel, is an excellent value because it's a high end steel in an amazing/proven package for a reasonable price. There is no limited production price hike, no over the top scale materials to drive up cost, just a hard hitting steel in the standard Military package. It's as much as it can be without becoming pocket jewelry. That's value.

Intended use, what am I going to use the knife for and how much money should be invested into this job? When it really boils down to it, an Opinel is probably pound for pound the most effective, lowest cost tool combination you can buy. It cuts like a straight razor, has a decent steel, and can be had for less than S20. It won't pry a door of the hinges but it's an extremely effective cutting tool and the price vs performance of that knife is outstanding.

There are so many different perspectives to take on this subject there really isn't a right or wrong answer.

I agree 100%.

Also any of the Mule Teams offer a good value.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Personally I've never felt I got more for my money than I did when I bought my Gayle Bradley 2.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Nate

Post by Nate »

dsvirsky wrote:Urban K390. Discontinued, but Osogrande still shows them in stock.
+1. They're not quite gone yet (found a few more places with it in stock) and $65-75 for the K390 sprint is pretty awesome imo. Not to mention all the other great deals from the recent disco'd list.
:spyder:
Drewthebrave

Post by Drewthebrave »

Value is subjective, but some of the best Spyderco values I've found include:

Byrd Cara Cara Rescue. At $20, this is the perfect knife to put in my fiancee's car for any emergency uses she might need it for. In a worst-case-scenario, I'm confident that it will serve her well.

Tenacious. For around $45, the Tenacious is more than enough knife for my modest needs. As impressive as the Para 2 is, the Tenacious feels "good enough" in my hand (at less than half the cost) for me to feel comfortable carrying one.

Tasman Salt. The H1 steel is great for peace of mind. I can throw it in my pocket and know that no matter where I hike, bike, swim, or go for an adventure, I'm 100% sure it's ready to tear through anything I need it for. At normal pricing it's a good deal, but I picked up mine for $50 on clearance and am especially happy.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Gayle Bradley2
+1. The GB2 is still a very good value, perhaps the best! Got mine in my back left pocket today!
Josh
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Interesting answers. My knee jerk response would be the Tenacious. But I am not thinking in terms of knife per dollar. I am thinking of Spyderco knife in the budget range (i.e. $50 or so). Interesting that the Gayle Bradley 2 has come up several times. But I see where people are coming from when they list the S110V Military, though it is hardly a budget knife. The Tenacious is still a great knife, and tremendously useful, and if something bad happens to it, you won't have that many tears to shed. I've never owned a Byrd, so I just can't say.
JDennis

Post by JDennis »

The best value imo are the lightweight native 5. A good edc knife in s35vn for 87 bucks. That's a steal imo.