Knife lubricant

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
NoFair
Member
Posts: 2040
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:23 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Knife lubricant

Postby NoFair » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:44 pm

Germinalphrase wrote:Never used it on knives - but the firearms lubricant Froglube is supposedly edible.
It gets gummy after a while (works great at first)

User avatar
Snorky
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:04 pm

Re: Knife lubricant

Postby Snorky » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:20 pm

The cheap option... buy a bottle of pharma-grade white mineral oil used on chopping boards and butcher's blocks. And a watch oiler.
The expensive option... buy a watch oiler pre-loaded with pharma-grade white mineral oil used on chopping boards and butcher's blocks.

User avatar
Snorky
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:04 pm

Re: Knife lubricant

Postby Snorky » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:25 pm

Germinalphrase wrote:Never used it on knives - but the firearms lubricant Froglube is supposedly edible.
Maybe, but it makes a lousy sandwich filling. An FLT (Froglube, lettuce, and tomato) is particularly disgusting.

User avatar
gundamaniac
Member
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:15 pm
Location: California Bay Area

Re: Knife lubricant

Postby gundamaniac » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:05 pm

I like mineral oil myself. Still on my first bottle, been using it years. I didn't know it was used as a laxative before I tried to buy it and had to figure out what section of the pharmacy to find it in....

fanglekai
Member
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 10:53 am

Re: Knife lubricant

Postby fanglekai » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:01 pm

I use USP mineral oil. It's cheap and it works well enough. I add a drop once a week for slipjoints, etc.

kitanis
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:39 pm

Re: Knife lubricant

Postby kitanis » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:53 pm

So far.. I have been using Weapon Shield gun lubricant with good results.

It also is supposed to be "edible" but not flavored like Frog Lube.. but it has more of a cinnamon smell.. but my blades operate very well on it and it does not "gum" up

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 5913
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: Knife lubricant

Postby Sharp Guy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:02 am

kitanis wrote:So far.. I have been using Weapon Shield gun lubricant with good results.

It also is supposed to be "edible" but not flavored like Frog Lube.. but it has more of a cinnamon smell.. but my blades operate very well on it and it does not "gum" up
I use Weapon Shield CLP a lot too. I know the solvent and grease are supposed to be non-toxic but not sure about the CLP. I can't find where it states that on their website.*

*EDIT: I did a little more digging on their website and I did find that in the SDS section it does state that all products are non-toxic. Looking at the SDS for the CLP I'm still unsure.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

User avatar
DougC-3
Member
Posts: 3553
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Southeastern USA

Re: Knife lubricant

Postby DougC-3 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:55 am

NoFair wrote:
Germinalphrase wrote:Never used it on knives - but the firearms lubricant Froglube is supposedly edible.
It gets gummy after a while (works great at first)
^^^true -- I used Froglube CLP for a couple of years (not on flippers, which I don't have anyway) and it worked well as long as I reapplied it fairly regularly, by adding more and blowing it out with canned air. But I found that, if you don't use a knife for a few months, it gets very sticky and gummy, so I've stopped using it.

I find that I don't really need to lube my knives much, so, since lubricant traps dirt, dust, and lint, I don't lube them unless they actually need it. Lately, just for kicks, I've used Finish Line Ceramic Wax Chain Lube, which claims "maximum cleanliness." Says it has nano platelets of boron nitride, runs totally clean, won't aborb dirt and outlasts conventional wax lubricants. It says it's fatal if swallowed, put I'm pretty sure that applies to the petroleum distillates in it which I think quickly volatilize. Haven't checked on safety of boron nitride. I do use whatever knife I have on me on food, but usually clean the blade with soapy water first.

The instructions say apply, let dry, ride for 1-2 days then reapply to complete the ceramic coating process, haha -- it's intended for bicycle chains. So far it's worked quite well, stayed perfectly clean, and hasn't needed to be reapplied. Anybody else tried it?
:spyder: :cool:

User avatar
standy99
Member
Posts: 749
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:07 am
Location: Between Broome and Cairns somewhere

Re: Knife lubricant

Postby standy99 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:45 am

LUBRICANT INOX MX3 FOOD GRADE AERO 300G
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (9.08 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
Used in Butcher shops for lubricant on meat mincer,s and band saws. Works a treat and food safe

Comes in a spray can like WD-40
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Knife lubricant

Postby Evil D » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:25 am

standy99 wrote:LUBRICANT INOX MX3 FOOD GRADE AERO 300G

image.jpeg

Used in Butcher shops for lubricant on meat mincer,s and band saws. Works a treat and food safe

Comes in a spray can like WD-40
Isn't that basically silicone lube? I've used similar stuff at other jobs that required a food safe lube.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19304
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Knife lubricant

Postby JD Spydo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:40 pm

hambone56rx wrote:Benchmade Bluelube! My local knife store has some on hand and I've bought it from Knives Ship free for about $10! Works well!
I'm going to have to check that one out. Because it was a Benchmade dealer way back in the early 2000s who recommended to me the one lube I still regard as my all time favorite knife lube and general usage lube>> I'm speaking of "Militec". I've said for quite a while that if I ever found a lubrication product that would perform better than Militec I would switch immediately.

And for Benchmade to now have their own lube is kind of interesting needless to say.

Anyone else here use MILITEC???

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 4109
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Knife lubricant

Postby The Meat man » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:18 pm

What about silicon-based stuff? How well does that work for protecting non-stainless blades?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

Hobnob
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am

Re: Knife lubricant

Postby Hobnob » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:34 pm

Been using scented mineral oil for awhile now. It's called baby oil. Works great.

jacala
Member
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:33 am
Location: Ipswich,Queensland,Australia

Re: Knife lubricant

Postby jacala » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:17 am

I've been using MILITEC on my Glocks for decades??!!
I might just try it on my Spydies.

FWR132
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:56 am

Re: Knife lubricant

Postby FWR132 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:40 am

Hobnob wrote:Been using scented mineral oil for awhile now. It's called baby oil. Works great.
I use that for the blade itself.

is it good for the pivot? food safe?

I mean, we rub baby oil onto babies and they always end up sticking things in their mouths
From my heart to yours,
Nigel
Brunei Darussalam


Current
Tenacious
Para Military 2

On the way
Endura 4

User avatar
Calicoast
Member
Posts: 384
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:09 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Knife lubricant

Postby Calicoast » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:31 am

Swan Mineral Oil for any knives that I would use for food. CorrosionX on the tool steels. Blue Lube on the pivots. No rust on anything down here in Socal.

User avatar
Ruudr
Member
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:48 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Knife lubricant

Postby Ruudr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:01 am

Nano Lube 10W and Ballistol!

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19304
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Knife lubricant

Postby JD Spydo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:07 am

jacala wrote:I've been using MILITEC on my Glocks for decades??!!
I might just try it on my Spydies.
Oh you won't be disappointed I can assure you when you see how well that Militec works on the moving parts of Spyderco folders. By the way have you ever tried that synthetic grease that Militec also makes? I've used it on fishing reels and a couple of other toys and it works superbly. It's different than any other grease I've ever tried because it doesn't seem to attract dirt nearly as bad as most lubrication products have a tendency to do.

For firearms there is a new synthetic grease from over in Germany that I heard one of the guys over at Bladeforums speak about. I can't remember the name of the stuff but I'll go look today and see if I can pull up the thread. I have heard that Militec was originally formulated for the firearms industry but they use it for a wide variety of stuff anymore.

Like I said if I can find something that works noticeably better than Militec I'll switch immediately.

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 4694
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Knife lubricant

Postby Bloke » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:29 pm

Evil D wrote:
standy99 wrote:LUBRICANT INOX MX3 FOOD GRADE AERO 300G

image.jpeg

Used in Butcher shops for lubricant on meat mincer,s and band saws. Works a treat and food safe

Comes in a spray can like WD-40
Isn't that basically silicone lube? I've used similar stuff at other jobs that required a food safe lube.
Your question pricked my curiosity D so I had a look on the Inox web page for a MSDS and basically all it said is 'a refined mineral oil'. I wonder how you refine mineral oil.

Something I haven't tried on a pivot and trust washers yet but I will, that rates a mention is Inox mx6, food grade, clay based, extreme pressure, high temperature grease. One of our fishing reel gurus here recommended it when I upgraded a reel's drag washers from felt to carbontex. Early days but so far so good.

I don't know if it's available in the US but you can pick up a 30g tube for around $10.00 here. I know you tinker and pull knives apart so If you want to give it a whirl and can't get it there PM me and I'll send you some. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Knife lubricant

Postby Evil D » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:12 pm

Bloke wrote:
Evil D wrote:
standy99 wrote:LUBRICANT INOX MX3 FOOD GRADE AERO 300G

image.jpeg

Used in Butcher shops for lubricant on meat mincer,s and band saws. Works a treat and food safe

Comes in a spray can like WD-40
Isn't that basically silicone lube? I've used similar stuff at other jobs that required a food safe lube.
Your question pricked my curiosity D so I had a look on the Inox web page for a MSDS and basically all it said is 'a refined mineral oil'. I wonder how you refine mineral oil.

Something I haven't tried on a pivot and trust washers yet but I will, that rates a mention is Inox mx6, food grade, clay based, extreme pressure, high temperature grease. One of our fishing reel gurus here recommended it when I upgraded a reel's drag washers from felt to carbontex. Early days but so far so good.

I don't know if it's available in the US but you can pick up a 30g tube for around $10.00 here. I know you tinker and pull knives apart so If you want to give it a whirl and can't get it there PM me and I'll send you some. :)
I've never fly fished so I know that's a different world but I use the same Phil Wood grease on my Abu Garcia bait casters as I use in my pivots.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 4077th, AudioPro, Bing [Bot], BLUETYPEII, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Monty, SleeplessInSoCal, Sonorum, Wartstein and 33 guests