age to carry a knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mlnarik

age to carry a knife

Post by Mlnarik »

I want to get my kid a spyderco but im wondering, is he allowed to carry it or is there an age restriction on whether or not you can carry a knife.
Whitetail addict

Re: age to carry a knife

Post by Whitetail addict »

Guess it possibly depends where you live.
@martial_logan on the instagram.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I think it mainly depends on your son. What’s his maturity level for his age? How much training and instruction has he received and how willing is he to follow guidance even when you aren’t around? I believe the answer will vary from kid to kid. I wasn’t the most mature kid around and I was allowed to start carrying knives around 4th grade which was 9 or 10 years old. There were a couple of stitches along the way but I’ve still got all my fingers. ;)
Mlnarik

Post by Mlnarik »

he is 14 and been around knives for a long time so he knows about safety and all that. We live in nebraska so im pretty sure it would be okay but im not sure
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Mlnarik wrote:he is 14 and been around knives for a long time so he knows about safety and all that. We live in nebraska so im pretty sure it would be okay but im not sure
If only Nebraska had a codified set of laws that were written down and available online.
Andy_lluo

Post by Andy_lluo »

Use your judgement, he’s your son. My parents always saw knives as “bad” but I got myself my first REAL knife when I was 18; a Buck 110.

Andy
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Mlnarik wrote:he is 14 and been around knives for a long time so he knows about safety and all that. We live in nebraska so im pretty sure it would be okay but im not sure
14 is a good age. The points Lance outlined are still applicable though. Maturity level and trust will be key. Especially in this day in age when everything a young person has in their possession will be misconstrued as a weapon should an incident occur. Just things to be mindful of.

My son will be 9 in June and he is an active Boy Scout. He owns a few Spydies and carries them anytime we are outdoors. During regular day to day activities he doesn't carry, but they are on his dresser where he has access at his discretion. He knows he can't carry at school and also that I have one to lend anytime the family is together. If he asked for the responsibility to carry all the time, we would have to survey his maturity and measure of responsibility.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you search the forum this topic has come up many times. Personally I think age to "carry" is 18 because there are too many ridiculous laws these days but age to just use one around the house and under your supervision can be pretty young.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

At 14 I had multiple shotguns, a 22, and 10 or so sak knives. Still have all of them. It depends on where you live and how comfortable you are.
anycal

Post by anycal »

I would say it depends on how coordinated you are at an early age; or clumsy, on the other side. I used tools early on - screwdriver, saw, etc.

My uncle got me the knife below when I was eight. Can't believe almost four decades later I still have it... I remember because it was the age when I first kissed a girl. Like a rite of passage on both fronts. Also, still have remnants of a scar on my thumb to remind me. No stitches, luckily.

Peter
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think he is old enough to start responsible carry of a pocket knife...as long as he does not hang out with the wrong crowd, is a decent sort and responsible. I got my first pocket knife when I was 6, but it was a different world, then.

I would not spend a great deal on a knife at this time. Get a good one, but not too expensive. Wait and see how he does before you invest in something better.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

It totally depends on the kid. My older daughter is totally unlike me--she's smart, motivated and super responsible. I got her her first knife when she was 6. My younger daughter, unfortunately, seems to take after her father more than her mother, so she had to wait a while longer.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I was trusted but too afraid at 7. When I was 14-15 I purchased and was carrying a Manix 2 XL.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

anycal wrote:I would say it depends on how coordinated you are at an early age; or clumsy, on the other side. I used tools early on - screwdriver, saw, etc.

My uncle got me the knife below when I was eight. Can't believe almost four decades later I still have it... I remember because it was the age when I first kissed a girl. Like a rite of passage on both fronts. Also, still have remnants of a scar on my thumb to remind me. No stitches, luckily.

Hopefully that's from the knife, not the kiss :p :D
Last edited by curlyhairedboy on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
anycal

Post by anycal »

curlyhairedboy wrote:Hopefully that's from the knife, not the kiss :p :D
Hahaha. Good one. I was going to add that to my post, but was hopping some smart arse would fill it in. Good job :D
Peter
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

The answer has to be dependent on many personal factors. The child's developmental age, which can vary significantly from chronological age, and temperament. The parents have to be comfortable with it, and of course model and teach proper safety and ethical values. I would be wary of the societal impacts though since many people are so against anything that may be considered a weapon. I carried a cheap, junk pocket knife in grade school but so did virtually everyone else. That was when it wasn’t all that unusual to see a telephone in a wooden box attached to the wall
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

anycal wrote: still have remnants of a scar on my thumb to remind me. No stitches, luckily.
From the knife or the girl?
persistence

Post by persistence »

Mlnarik wrote:I want to get my kid a spyderco but im wondering, is he allowed to carry it or is there an age restriction on whether or not you can carry a knife.
Well when I was in kinder-garden,I was sent home for displaying my knife,,,about 1965-6...lol