Bamboo vs. H1 serrations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Bamboo vs. H1 serrations

Post by vivi »

zhyla wrote:
ConspicuousConsumption wrote:I was definitely surprised to be honest since H1 seems to be so tough.
I think there may be some urban legend at play here.
I don't think so. H1 is VERY tough. I've used it hard for a decade and it compares to carbon tool steels. Its toughness blows away any stainless knife I've used. This thread is further evidence it's tough. No chipping despite the thinly ground serrated edge contacting hard bamboo.
:unicorn
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Evil D wrote:Well, this IS what toughness is right? If this were ZDP those teeth would likely have broke off.
Yes! I used the wrong word there at the end. Toughness != hardness.
Vivi wrote:
zhyla wrote:
ConspicuousConsumption wrote:I was definitely surprised to be honest since H1 seems to be so tough.
I don't think so. H1 is VERY tough. I've used it hard for a decade and it compares to carbon tool steels. Its toughness blows away any stainless knife I've used. This thread is further evidence it's tough. No chipping despite the thinly ground serrated edge contacting hard bamboo.
Yeah it’s important to use the correct terminology. No question of the toughness.

I’m honestly still surprised at the result. Bamboo can [ii]wear[/i] knives (due to silica content), but why would the tips roll? Why all in the same direction? SE edges are not close to optimal for this material (not enough teeth per inch) so it cuts really slow. But why bend unless there’s lateral force?
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

zhyla wrote:
Evil D wrote:Well, this IS what toughness is right? If this were ZDP those teeth would likely have broke off.
Yes! I used the wrong word there at the end. Toughness != hardness.
Vivi wrote:
zhyla wrote:
Yeah it’s important to use the correct terminology. No question of the toughness.

I’m honestly still surprised at the result. Bamboo can [ii]wear[/i] knives (due to silica content), but why would the tips roll? Why all in the same direction? SE edges are not close to optimal for this material (not enough teeth per inch) so it cuts really slow. But why bend unless there’s lateral force?
I was slicing at the bamboo, pretty much at a 60 degree or 700 degree angle, to avoid slicing my leg off. I’m sure I could’ve done it more responsibly, but my goal in life is to “have at it and let the chips fall where they may”. If a tool can’t keep up, I’ll trash it and get something better. H1 has been a champ, with some minor imperfections (like rolled serrations).

It’s definitely been hard getting the teeth back. Working it good still.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/OLMWXrWxYXEL7nfl2
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bamboo is some pretty bad stuff to cut, no doubt. It is just a great big stalk of grass. It is not a wood. It is pretty destructive on anything that cuts it if it is the least bit dry. Bamboo and Rattan interesting and in Taiwan, China, and etc. they even use these for scaffolding instead of metal. I have some sitting here I had planned on doing a test with various steels. I have been too busy to do more than a little testing. I have cut this stuff in years past and it dulled the knife blade very fast.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The Spyderedge is asymmetrical. This induces lateral stress even cutting at 90 degrees. Cutting at an angle introduces lateral stress. Depending on how the blade was presented to the bamboo, these two lateral stresses may have “stacked up.” Now add in the very low included angle at the apex of a Spyderedge and the softness of H-1. It is no surprise the edge rolled. It’s a testament to H-1’s toughness that it didn’t chip.

Like others have written, I’d recommend steeling the edge as straight as you can, then sharpening it. Bear always in mind that a serrated edge is not a saw; it doesn’t remove chips like a saw does.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Hmm. I thought bending the teeth back would cause metal fatigue.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is a most interesting thread >> I've waited awhile to comment on it because to tell you all the truth I've never ever tried to cut anything with properties similar to bamboo. And I'm sure that the green/freshly grown bamboo is quite a different challenge than it would be with an old bamboo fishing pole for instance :rolleyes:

This is why I've made the comment recently that it's high time that Spyderco start looking into different serration patterns for their Spyderedged blades. Because not all patterns are equal by any means and there are so many materials like this bamboo for instance that has it's own challenges as far as cutting goes. I've even found that all rope and cordage materials even have their own challenges when trying to cut or shear them.

I've always found it interesting that bamboo is about the only thing that Panda Bears will eat :confused: I wonder how their teeth are equipped to handle it? But this truly makes a case for more different serration patterns to take on all these different cutting jobs IMO.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I actually had a dream about this last night. No joke. I can't remember what I was cutting but it was with my Autonomy and I bent all the teeth. Talk about a nightmare.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:I actually had a dream about this last night. No joke. I can't remember what I was cutting but it was with my Autonomy and I bent all the teeth. Talk about a nightmare.
Holy Popcorn BATMAN!!! :rolleyes: And EVIL you just about had me going to get an AUTONOMY after you recommended it to me :D Now you scare me like an old Steven King movie :eek:

But I'm doubtful that it was bamboo that created your nightmare :rolleyes: . And with your methods of sharpening and stropping Spyderedges it must have been rock, brick, concrete or metal that you were trying to cut that wrecked your edges :confused: . And that would be a nightmare :eek:

And with bamboo growing in so many parts of the planet I would have to conclude that not all bamboo cuts the same either. Oh well another case made for new serration patterns.