The Tactical Bottle Opener: Spyderco ClipiTool Standard

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

The Tactical Bottle Opener: Spyderco ClipiTool Standard

Post by Mad Mac »

Well, maybe not really a fighting knife unless you want to argue about who gets to open the beer. For years I campaigned for a knife with a bottle opener; a real knife like a Spyderco with a 3.5 inch blade, the opening hole and the pocket clip.

Yesterday, when I opened my Spyderco byte I thought I was being spoofed. There it was! The new Spyderco ClipiTool Standard. I've owned and touted the diminutive original ClipiTool, but now, my grail finally achieved.

This morning I preordered mine. Cheers!

Last edited by Mad Mac on Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
BrianMcCord

Re: At Last, A Tactical Bottle Opener

Post by BrianMcCord »

Congrats! Now that Colorado is a 'green friendly' state, I wonder if the spyderco roach clip is in the pipeline, LoL. :)
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
SG89

Post by SG89 »

BrianMcCord wrote:Congrats! Now that Colorado is a 'green friendly' state, I wonder if the spyderco roach clip is in the pipeline, LoL. :)
a long time ago spyderco made a tiny Police tie clip knife... just sayin' lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SG89

Post by SG89 »

in all seriousness I will be ordering both versions of this new knife. they look great and after handling an Efficient and Clipitool with serrated edge I am very impressed with the Chinese made spyderco knives.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
BrianMcCord wrote:Congrats! Now that Colorado is a 'green friendly' state, I wonder if the spyderco roach clip is in the pipeline, LoL. :)
In all seriousness, new Grail knife for me ;)
-Brian

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
mattman

Post by mattman »

BrianMcCord wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Ha ha ha! Awesome.
Ippon

Post by Ippon »

I'm kind of bummed out about the 8cr13mov, but I'm really curious as to how the designe performes. 50 dollars is a pretty reasonable price point, I'll probably pick up the rescue version for the serrated blade. I'd really like to see a heavy duty multi bladed knife from spyderco. It's an idea I've had for a while and this new clipitool is a step in that direction. I almost want to pick it up for no other reason than to vote with my dollar that Spyderco should continue to develop products like this.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Yeah I was a little bummed about the steel too. Every knife is own is a bottle opener though. I guess this is the evolution of the dyad.
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

That looks great, congrats. I might get one for my knife roll. Anybody doing custom scales for these? It'd look cool as a "restaurant" version with stabilized walnut or flaming maple scales. It'd be cool with bronze or copper hardware too. Does Spyderco make a waiter's tool? But I digress... cool tool. I want one.

The BB Barfly Pro is pretty close to a tactical bottle opener, though it lacks a blade. And it flips oh so smoothly.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Maybe something similar to the Jamaican Army Knife. :D

https://jamaicanarmy.com/
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

BrianMcCord wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
They have shown up on the Bay here recently. I think they sold for under $150
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

remnar wrote:

Hilarious!
-Brian

BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

xceptnl wrote:
BrianMcCord wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
They have shown up on the Bay here recently. I think they sold for under $150
Thank you, Sir...I will be hunting for one, for sure. I however, don't plan on 'abusing' it. :D
-Brian

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

When ever someone says tactical bottle opener I think of this ...https://www.gpknives.com/socombottleopenerblack.html lulz :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

BrianMcCord wrote:
remnar wrote:

Hilarious!
yes, and the steel is appropriately 420
you know, 4...20
:D :cool:
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

My apologies to the Company for my Tactical Bottle Opener subject line, which may have been a poor choice of words. It was in no way meant to mock the new ClipiTool Standard, so don't anyone get the wrong idea.

My gratitude and appreciation for this new design and serious advocacy for a real knife with a bottle opener is most sincere. It will be my EDC. In fact, allow me to make a modest suggestion.

The legion of Spyderco enthusiasts is a virtual army. In that vein, I propose that the ClipiTool Standard be affectionately dubbed the Spyderco Army Knife.

When I was in the Army, C Rations required the little, folding P-38 can opener. A real can opener would have been greatly appreciated then. And honestly, today the main use I have for a knife on a daily basis is opening mail and packages and no more than two bottles of beer, Doctor's orders. (Or was it at least two a day. After the second one I never can remember.)

Well done, Spyderco. I predict the ClipiTool Standard will be a big seller, de rigueur for all self respecting knife enthusiasts. Be the first to impress your circle of beer drinking friends. Preorder one today.
Last edited by Mad Mac on Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The Clipitool answers the age old question: “Where can I find a one hand opening folder that slices well and that I can safely pry with?” Slice with the blade, pry with the screwdriver. Problem solved. All hail the mighty Clipitool!
Germinalphrase

Post by Germinalphrase »

What's the thickness on the Standard? Thinner/thicker than a comparable Swiss Army Knife?
Mad Mac

Re: Spyderco ClipiTool Standard vs Swiss Army Knife

Post by Mad Mac »

Spyderco ClipiTool Standard 3-inch blade compared to Swiss Army Knife

Spyderco ClipiTool Standard bottle opener, wire stripper, large screw driver compared to Swiss Army Knife

Spyderco ClipiTool Standard can opener, small screw driver compared to Swiss Army Knife

Spyderco ClipiTool Standard thinness compared to Swiss Army Knife

Notice that the G10 scales do not have stainless steel liners. Instead, there is a single slab of steel in the center of the knife that serves as the lock for the blade.

The bottle opener can be opened one handed with the right hand thumb, the can opener with the left.

A Swiss Army Knife may bristle with more doodads, but in my opinion
the Spyderco Army Knife is far more robust with the few tools that matter.
Last edited by Mad Mac on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I just watched the shot show thing on YouTube and saw this and it kinda got me wondering... are cans with pull tabs and bottles with twist tops not a thing in the US?
There seems to be very strong following for bottle/can opening capabilities being a high priority, I clearly don’t get it but I will say I’m loving that blade profile, The thin long blade looks amazing!
Very interested to see future configurations.