January Spyderbite Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

January Spyderbite Discussion

Post by abbazaba »

Thank you Spyderco for including the detailed before and after pictures of the bearing pivot! It looks great and I can't wait to try one out. As I've said before, if Spyderco can satisfy the bearing action junkies, they will potentially enter a whole new level of industry dominance. Even if you don't love flippers or bearings, this is a smart move given the current competition.

Native5... Same model number, no liners. I personally like this move. It may seem to make the knife more like the LW than it needs to be, but in hand it is much more ridged than the FRN IMO, and cures an often criticism of the Native5 G10.

Great pic of the Roman mutli-tool BTW!
steelcity16

Re: January Spyderbite Discussion

Post by steelcity16 »

abbazaba wrote:
Native5... Same model number, no liners. I personally like this move. It may seem to make the knife more like the LW than it needs to be, but in hand it is much more ridged than the FRN IMO, and cures an often criticism of the Native5 G10.
I prefer the liners in the G10 actually. Id love to see a Native in the same style as the BHQ DLC Manix with DLC coated liners!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

I'm very happy that they beefed up the bearings...my Mantra has been in the drawer since day 3. I did tighten the pivot slightly to attempt to center the blade, and it warped the washers. My fault.
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yup, great news all around. I’m excited to pick up a new Advocate and try the new bearing system out. I sold my old one and would like an updated replacement.

Couldn’t be happier to hear confirmation of the linerless Native as well. This is probably as close as I’m going to get to the original g10 UKPK’s.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I'm very interested in the new Clip It tools but just cannot justify a purchase of 8cr13mov. I've just had bad luck with it, it's pretty humid here in Houston, and would prefer something with a bit more corrosion resistance. Is BD1 a possibility down the road? Otherwise, the design looks excellent as far as ergonomics and utility.

I also like the attention to liner-less design on the Native 5. I've been carrying a UKPK and feel that its utility is excellent as an EDC. Although the Caly 3 remains my favorite, it's not because of its liners - it's because of the lock.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Bigger bearings and thicker washers are the way to go here.
Not sure why the bearing cage needs to be phosphor bronze though...
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

I’M buying the new Clip. Kinda like a cross between a Tenacious and a SAK. Pretty cool for the $$$ and it includes a full sized blade.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

hoimin wrote:Bigger bearings and thicker washers are the way to go here.
The old plastic ones were seen as cheap and weak by some and I would imagine they could potentially warp or somehow prevent a bearing from rolling. These shouldn't cause any drag (so far in my two Sliveraxs this has been true).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Evil D wrote:
hoimin wrote:Bigger bearings and thicker washers are the way to go here.
The old plastic ones were seen as cheap and weak by some and I would imagine they could potentially warp or somehow prevent a bearing from rolling. These shouldn't cause any drag (so far in my two Sliveraxs this has been true).
Thanks!

My initial confusion stemmed from thinking the bearing cages would somehow be required to directly interface with the blade and washers.

Now I know it’s to ensure the bearings roll within their cage as friction-free as possible.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I was amazed by that Roman multi-tool! If this was the April edition, I'd have guessed that was a joke. Pretty cool.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I see a Rescue in the future for the truck.. As for the Clipit Standard.. I will keep my SAKs.. John :)
Last edited by jmh58 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really wish they'd get back into the multitool market and take a lot of feedback on the design from users.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
olywa

Post by olywa »

I'm wondering if the linerless g10 Natives will have washers or not.