Where is the new, improved Advocate?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Re: Where is the new, improved Advocate?

Post by RamZar »

I’m hoping the upcoming Hanan will have the new and improved bearings, detent and flipper action than my past Spyderco flippers which have a lot to be desired in those areas specially having carried and flipped them for a while (they start out better but over time they just get worse). These were Southard, Domino, Dice, Rubicon, Positron and Mantra2. Haven’t dared get another Spyderco flipper since Mantra2 two years ago. This is fine with me because Spyderco has a lot of other desirable knives that I get like Sage, Chaparral and Native. For flippers I’ve gone elsewhere. Hopefully, Hanan will change that.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
mad german

Post by mad german »

I wonder how much of the “Advocate hysteria” was due to Rob Bixby, aka apostlep, going off on his rant? He’s since taken that video down, but I think he’s lost a lot of credibility by blowing things way out of proportion.

I know he doesn’t take criticism very well; he left Bladeforums in a huff after some guys disagree with him. Oh well, life goes on.
My collection is ever changing!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

ABX2011 wrote:
NoFair wrote:Why didn't you just return it? They did fix the issue for everyone who did...
I guess I was impatient. I bought it right after it was released. It had the same "bumpiness" that my Mantra had and I was frustrated that the Advocate wasn't any better.
Fair enough, but your impatience wasn't really Spyderco's fault was it ;)
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Well it seems the consensus is that there was nothing wrong with the original design. Spyderco changed the design to please a small but very vocal minority that felt like the knife needed to be overbuilt.

Count me in that minority, I thought the original design was substandard for a Bradley design folder and it absolutely stopped me from buying one. I'm considering buying one now.

David
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

We're all Spyderco fans here. I understand why people rush to defend the knives but I feel that constructive criticism can help Spyderco improve their products.
The bearing issues began before the Advocate. Later, following the uproar over the Advocate, Spyderco revamped the design. Not just on the Advocate but on other (all?) of their bearing knives. Good for them!
Some long-time customers like me had sworn off Spyderco's bearing knives. Now I'll give them another shot.
Again, this is a very competitive market. You can say that X knife is good enough but what if another brand is putting out something better.
sal

Post by sal »

I think most would agree that we listen.

Accusing us of deliberately making bad product or saying we don't care doesn't make us listen better :rolleyes:

Ego's more often than not cause harm. If we are not truth seekers, then what are we?

sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Advocate is one of my favorite folders and is my favorite flipper I have. I love how thin the knife is in pocket and the F&F is excellent.

I have the original, haven't had any issues with it so far.

Nice to see Spyderco address the issues that some seem to be having.
TBob

Post by TBob »

sal wrote:I think most would agree that we listen.

Accusing us of deliberately making bad product or saying we don't care doesn't make us listen better :rolleyes:

Ego's more often than not cause harm. If we are not truth seekers, then what are we?

sal
Absolutely, Sal. Well said.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

Wow Spyderco! Good things come for those who wait...I’ve been like a hawk on here for updates on this knife since “The Advocate - An Official Statement by Spyderco” post by MJ. Well, I finally got mine yesterday and it’s just amazing! I loved the first copy I had but knew that Spyderco would really nail it after some CQI and they did not disappoint. Thank you so much for always listening to us even when we’re being unreasonable. What I really love about this new pivot is that it’s relatively quiet while using the flipper to deploy the blade. That’s a huge plus for me for many reasons, but most of all, so my poor wife doesn’t lose her mind. It’s a great design that has been expertly executed. Very happy to have one in my pocket. Thanks again guys...

All the best!
Hovan
Attachments
DCF55C88-AB0F-4775-9678-B727D9C96EFD.jpeg
62Mini

Post by 62Mini »

Anyone here buy the new advocate? if so what dealers have them now? I want one.
TBob

Post by TBob »

I got mine from Spydero's online store. It only took a few days to arrive and it's a great knife. I was showing it off to friends last night and they were all very impressed with it. I am EDCing it as I type.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
palonej

Post by palonej »

I am a Spydie fan, NOT a fanboy.
I have a Southard, Domino, Positron and an Advocate......they are my favorite Spydies.
I have carried my original Advocate exclusively for 5 months for work, HVAC. It has been through **** and has proven itself to be one tough hombre.
After lots of abuse, it still flips perfectly, is still perfectly centered and locks up TIGHT! It is a slicing machine and carries like it isn’t there.
Excellent build on an awesome design.
Joe
Attachments
0CCE2159-51D6-4A44-AB83-37B173B573A0.jpeg
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Just got back from a quick trip to Denver. We rented a car and went out to Golden. My wife was nice enough to let me spend some time at the SFO. The salesman pulled out all kinds of knives for me to try. I kept coming back to the Advocate (with the new pivot system). There was just something about that knife that I couldn't put it down. Such a beautiful and comfortable knife. I never held the original, but the new one flips great. But, more than that, I enjoyed holding it.
62Mini

Post by 62Mini »

Still want to know what dealers have them yet. I want to buy one
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

62Mini wrote:Still want to know what dealers have them yet. I want to buy one
You may have to wait a while. Dealers aren't real keen to sell new inventory while they're stuck with old inventory that no one will buy - makes them reluctant to buy new inventory.

David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ankerson wrote:The Advocate is one of my favorite folders and is my favorite flipper I have. I love how thin the knife is in pocket and the F&F is excellent.

I have the original, haven't had any issues with it so far.

Nice to see Spyderco address the issues that some seem to be having.

I originally had no interest in this one but the more I hear the more I want one. M4 is one of my favorite steels so it's a nice package.

The question is though, and Jim I think you're the perfect person to ask because I know you like the Military... would you carry one over the Military? This is the problem I seem to have with every new model I get. It's hard to dethrone the King lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
62Mini

Post by 62Mini »

I just bought one from BHQ and requested the new revised version. it came in today and its the old design. The marking on the box for the date are LP so Dec. 2016. looks like this one is going back to BHQ. I Don't think they're at dealers yet.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Has anyone ever had a problem with corrosion messing up the flipper action, since it's a non stainless blade?

I love the design of this knife but it can get pretty hot and humid where I live, and I wasn't sure how it would do as a new EDC option. What do you think?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

62Mini wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:42 pm
GPKnives has them...https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-advoc ... 14tip.html
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
62Mini

Post by 62Mini »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:23 pm
62Mini wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:42 pm
GPKnives has them...https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-advoc ... 14tip.html
Awesome thanks!! I forgot to check there! Just ordered.